PCDP OPINION
Apr 28, 2005 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Vences5

Head-Fier
(This is my first post)

What is in your guy's opinion, the best portable CD payer ever made. What the best MP3 Cd player ever made?

I'm a noob, so my choices are:

1: Sony D-EJ01
2: IRiver Slimx IMP-900

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 23
check out reviews section in portable audio

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
PCDP, the Denon DCP-150 is a good candidate.

Second, without out a doubt it's the best sounding PCDP vintage or present that I've had the opportunity to listen to and own. The level of detail accurracy in the Denon DCP-150 is really amazing for a PCDP. The D-EJ01 is a unique PCDP being that it was built by Sony to commerate the 20th anniversary of the Discman and is the only PCDP to feature a slot fed loading system.

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 23
Hmm...I like that square Philips player which has wireless headphones and looks like one of those home-fountains.

The D-335 has some charm on me and the 321 is a very sleek design indeed. I think the D-626 (wireless) makes everyone happy
biggrin.gif
. The D-82 has that same kind of charm that the 335 has, it's a smooth and kinda chubby unit that's "cute". The D-EJ915 will always be a classic as the first unit with G-Protection and the first unit "under 200" to have gumsticks. The D-EJ2000 gets an award for getting 30 hours with 1 gumstick and being thin. Oh, the D-J50 also gets the thin award...I mean...wow...that thing's old and thin.

I guess there are other cool ones too but I think the D-EJ915 wins
biggrin.gif
, if you disregard all else and based on "coolness"...it's been in the most features, including a stint on an osiris skate backpack
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 23
I won't comment on the redbook PCDP players, since a lot has been said earlier, and I'll probably end up recommending the same.

Though if you require some MP3 playback with your redbook CD playback, I'd suggest D-NE20/920/520 in the US. Overall, they sound very close to the D-NE10/900 series (which did get some good press overall here). The newer units have digital amp. They do very little to improve the general SQ from the previous generation, but they also help to cut down on noise (which is very noticable on the D-NE900).

The D-NE20 is one of the smallest and slimmest players at around 1.3cms, or about 1/2 inch thickness overall. Very Svelte!

As a sidenote, I believe the D-EJ line of PCDPs has been superceded by the D-NE line of PCDPs these days. The D-EJ2000 would be the last flagship model from the EJ line, is it not?

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 23
The Sony D-EJ2000 is the last of the flagship Redbook players from Sony. It has excellent build quality - it has survived the last 1/2 year in my backpack, protected only by its little grey bag. Light weight, thin, tough, and long-lasting... oh yeah, it sounds great too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the forums, and keep a steady hand on your wallet
600smile.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 23
Nobody mentioned tha Philips AZ6829 or PowerCD?
eek.gif

I think they are both nice gears.I agree with D-EJ915,the Jazz played by d335 is awesome.D211 has an unique sound performance,and I think it's very different from other PCDPs.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 23
Philips AZ6829/6819 is a great sounding PCDP. I think it sounds more detailed and musical than the Sony D-555. It's a warmer sound PCDP than the D-211 with about the same level of accuracy and slightly more detailed sound.

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 23
For MP3 PCDP, I would go with Sony D-NE20, or the D-NE920 (if you need LCD on the unit itself). Feature wise, they're very good, supporting ID3 v2, and 1 feature you cannot find anywhere else, seamless/gapless playback (albeit for AtracCD only). Also, both have line/digital out, while other manufactures (namely Panasonic) cut that feature in their US units.

If you're short on cash, Sony D-NE520 ($80) is the cheaper version of the D-NE920. It still has an LCD on the unit (backlit as well!), but the body is plastic, the remote has no LCD, it uses AA instead of gumstick (thicker body), and no optical out (line-out is still there).

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Philips AZ6829/6819 is a great sounding PCDP. I think it sounds more detailed and musical than the Sony D-555. It's a warmer sound PCDP than the D-211 with about the same level of accuracy and slightly more detailed sound.

Then what abot PowerCD?Anyone has heard this "portable" CDP before?

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stranger0429
Then what abot PowerCD?Anyone has heard this "portable" CDP before?

Do a search in the portable forum on PowerCD as I believe one or two members here have one and had posted their initial impressions. I personally haven't heard the PowerCD and can't comment on it.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 23
I used to have a powerCD but I didn't keep it longs.

It realy not portable. It can be powered by 8 AA batteries and quite bulky. Because it need it's dock to function, All the power is in the dock, DC in and batteries are all in the dock, so very awkward to move around. Then you need to keep it very still or it will skip. I use my DCP-150 as a portable all the time without problem, not possible with the PowerCD. So it's more of a desk CDP.

As for the sound it was very good but very different signature and presentation then my dcp-150 I was more used and liked better the dcp-150. So I already had the dcp-150 and the powerCD wasn't portable so didn't use the powerCD much. I decided to sell it to someone who would need it instead of letting it collect dust.

Now I regret a bit selling it because it had a different kind sound and it somewhat an unusual Item good for a collection. Maybe I'll buy an other one some day. It also the exact same model as the phillips cdf-100. If I remember correctly It has the curved "swing arms" philips laser mechanism. a bit like this http://siber-sonic.com/audio/swingarm.html

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT

Now I regret a bit selling it because it had a different kind sound and it somewhat an unusual Item good for a collection. Maybe I'll buy an other one some day. It also the exact same model as the phillips cdf-100. If I remember correctly It has the curved "swing arms" philips laser mechanism. a bit like this http://siber-sonic.com/audio/swingarm.html

Wow,now I see why you would rather to say PowerCD is a desktop CDP.Swing arms are usually placed on desktop CDP,I havn't seen them on PCDP before.So,I think we should put the PowerCD in a manner of dosktop CDP right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back