PCB/Circuit Design Software
Jan 6, 2008 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

naamanf

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for software for circuit design and PCB design that can output PCB designs to gerber files. Of course I would like something that is either free or relatively inexpensive.

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 23
+1 for EAGLE & Tangent's vids

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 23
I tried eagle and I think the GUI is a joke. The database is sparse, and building a package is difficult, I think you would need a class to understand it.

PCB Express on the other hand I figured out easily, the database had every package I needed. But you are locked in to buying boards from them.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 23
for schematics you could always use microsoft visio 2007 (free from torrents
wink.gif
)

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not the ideal thing to say here...

On more than one aspect! While you could do schematics in Visio, why would you want to? Unless of course, you enjoy pain...

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Man, been using LTSpice for simulation a lot lately, and had taken a reasonable break from PCB layouts in Eagle, and it seems Eagle is like what some of you guys say about BG caps, my brain needs to re-burnin. I can use Eagle pretty well once I have been using it a bit, but you woulda thunk they could have come up with a better interface.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 23
I would say Eagle, but that is mainly because it is the only one that will run on a Mac AFAIK. How expensive is Orcad? Also, I've never seen/run Diptrace.

There is a another one that I've seen some on diyhifi, etc. use called Sprint-Layout. From what I saw of it, it does not use schematics, which IMO is a downfall. Too easy to make connection mistakes without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back