PC360 or PC363D? Soundcard for virtual surround in headphones? ZXR, Titanium HD or STX?
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shadowoflight

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new headphone and a sound card.

Got the recon3d omega...the sound is ok, but the mic is shiet, there's something wrong with how it processes the mic sounds because there's always an echo in recordings* and I've learnt to not like closed headphones. Also, I've a X-Fi fatal1ty (I'm sorry, I was young) that I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm a little confused by what I've been reading - so there's actually no need to buy a pair of headphones the comes with it's own surround sound tech? I can buy any headphone and plug it into a sound card and enjoy virtual surround sound?

I've narrowed down my headphone selection to the Sennheiser PC360/PC363D. If that's the case, then there's actually no reason to get the 363D isn't it, considering how they are essentially the same (ok, different covers) but with an additional usb surround sound card for the 363?

As for the sound cards, the STX is good but lacks gaming capabilities (surround sound and what not), while the new ZxR seems to be as capable, if not better, than the Titanium HD even if it's using an inferior Core3D sound chip? (as suggested in Nameless's guide) If that's the case, I'm actually leaning towards getting the ZxR because it also has built-in headphone amps.

So as of right now, leaning towards the PC360 & ZxR. Using for music, gaming, recording and movies, alternating between my existing 5.1 speakers and headphones.

Thoughts?

* Recordings will have echo, even with the mic off, what u hear off, etc. Funny thing is I pretty much fixed it by plugging the mic into my computer's x-fi instead. So sounds through the recon3d omega and mic through x-fi. Stupid isn't it?

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I would say to get the PC360s and plug them straight into your current Fatal1ty sound card.
See if you like the sound.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
That's an idea, though the ports at the back are already taken up by the mic and the speakers, so it's kinda troublesome.
I don't think the X-Fi fatality card has built in amps yes?

The X-Fi Titanium Falat1ly one does not come with a built in headphone amplifier, but as the PC360s are only 50-Ohm, they do not need a lot to power them.
Using a Schiit Magni ($99) external headphone amplifier would improve audio quality over the X-Fi.
The Schiit Magni should be at least equal (if not better) better the headphone amplifier used on the Z & Zx & ZxR.

PS, the Essence STX is not lacking in gaming abilities.
But your Titanium's audio processor does come with more gaming hardware support then the STX's

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
The X-Fi Titanium Falat1ly one does not come with a built in headphone amplifier, but as the PC360s are only 50-Ohm, they do not need a lot to power them.
Using a Schiit Magni ($99) external headphone amplifier would improve audio quality over the X-Fi.
The Schiit Magni should be at least equal (if not better) better the headphone amplifier used on the Z & Zx & ZxR.

PS, the Essence STX is not lacking in gaming abilities.
But your Titanium's audio processor does come with more gaming hardware support then the STX's

very useful, thanks angel!

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 8
i have a PC363D for sale if you're interested. they're pretty much brand new just took them out the box to find out they're not compatible with the xbox. I'm selling them for $200. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back