PC volume control?
Feb 3, 2017 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daninthemix80

New Head-Fier
Is there a technical reason why, for sound quality reasons, it's best to avoid the Windows volume control and just use the analog volume control on your headphone amp? I ask because obviously the PC volume control is much more convenient.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 9
in principle, changing the digital volume level changes the bits in the file and reduces the maximum bit depth by how much you reduce it in windows. so there is at least a measurable impact to using digital volume.
now for most practical purposes, even a 16bit file has 96db of dynamic while even the most dynamic songs I have don't go much past 65db. so most of the time you won't hear any difference unless you really reduce by a crazy value. if you set set your amp at normal loudness and then use windows for fine tuning in daily life, you're fine. I know it's what I do because I'm lazier than I am bit perfect obsessed ^_^. in fact in a few specific instances, lowering the digital volume(moderately) can help mitigate other problems with files or with amps.

if you want a little extra reassurance, set your output to 24bit(doesn't matter if the music isn't and it doesn't degrade anything). that way you get even less risk to lose bits in the process and can be lazy with peace of mind
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 9
  in principle, changing the digital volume level changes the bits in the file and reduces the maximum bit depth by how much you reduce it in windows. so there is at least a measurable impact to using digital volume.
now for most practical purposes, even a 16bit file has 96db of dynamic while even the most dynamic songs I have don't go much past 65db. so most of the time you won't hear any difference unless you really reduce by a crazy value. if you set set your amp at normal loudness and then use windows for fine tuning in daily life, you're fine. I know it's what I do because I'm lazier than I am bit perfect obsessed ^_^. in fact in a few specific instances, lowering the digital volume(moderately) can help mitigate other problems with files or with amps.

if you want a little extra reassurance, set your output to 24bit(doesn't matter if the music isn't and it doesn't degrade anything). that way you get even less risk to lose bits in the process and can be lazy with peace of mind
beerchug.gif

Thankyou - that's exactly the sort of tech info I was after 
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 9
  Thankyou - that's exactly the sort of tech info I was after 
beerchug.gif

just to add on, the best thing to do is to bypass windows sound since it typically isn't capable of being bit perfect.  using the drivers from your dac and using a player (like jriver, foobar200, etc, etc.) allow you to play your files bit perfect.  using the volume controls within these applications provides even better digital volume processing.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 9
just nit picking here, but as soon as digital volume is used, the signal is no longer bit perfect. of course bypassing windows mixer can be a good idea but for reasons that have little to do with volume levels.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 9
  I ask because obviously the PC volume control is much more convenient.

Until you get a sudden blast of sound from unequalized sources (like going from Spotify to some YouTube ad), and you'll realize that a knob that is still within arm's reach twists faster than hitting the hotkeys several times (or leading the mouse pointer to the corner, clicking on an icon, then moving a slider).

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 9
just nit picking here, but as soon as digital volume is used, the signal is no longer bit perfect. of course bypassing windows mixer can be a good idea but for reasons that have little to do with volume levels.

Of course you're right that digital volume controls are a bit reduction process. I was trying to say that its best to avoid the Windows sound engine. With Jriver, foobar2000, etc you can stay bit perfect up to the volume control using Wasapi or Asio drivers. Ultimately better sound.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 9
Of course you're right that digital volume controls are a bit reduction process. I was trying to say that if you're going to use digital volume controls, it's best to use something else besides Windows sound. With Jriver, foobar2000, etc you can stay bit perfect up to the volume control using Wasapi or Asio drivers.

Just to chime back into my own thread, I found that Windows upsampling was far worse than its volume control, so have switched to JRiver, which has a 64-bit volume control and doesn't resample. The difference truly is audible, which I find amazing as I certainly don't have golden ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back