PC to PC streaming? - "Wireless soundcard"
Oct 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jrexxx

New Head-Fier
I have searched everywhere for a solution to my problem and can't find anything :frowning2: I don't know if it's a bit out of subject to ask this here but I'm going to give it a shot!
What I want to do is basically use a laptop as a "wireless sound card". I have an old dell laptop that is always on and it's close to my stereo. That dell is connected via wifi to my primary laptop, a VAIO. What I would like to do is stream whatever is playing on my VAIO ( not just music: youtube, skype...) to the stereo via the Dell's line out. I know that I can buy a bluetooth receiver, but I guess that the bitrate would be pretty low, and the whole challenge is to do it with what I've got :wink:
Thanks in advance! :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't know much about them, but I would think a DLNA server on your desktop might could be used to stream to the Dell. There are many media player/music managers that have that functionality built-in. Seems like there must be a way to configure that. 

If you are an iTunes user, you should look into the AirPort Express. Makes streaming fairly simple from multiple OSX and iOS devices. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
I believe you can use Squeezebox server to synchronize playback from two different computers. May not be the best option in every situation, but it is in the vein of what was being asked in the OP.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I believe you can use Squeezebox server to synchronize playback from two different computers. May not be the best option in every situation, but it is in the vein of what was being asked in the OP.

I forgot about that (I used to have a Squeezebox). I think were some add on for doing that. Only the OP should be aware that there delay if you are playing the sound out of both machines. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Doesn't that mean that I will have to bu a squeezebox? The whole point was to use my secondary PC as line out. And I don't just want to stream music.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Doesn't that mean that I will have to bu a squeezebox? The whole point was to use my secondary PC as line out. And I don't just want to stream music.

Yeah. It's just for streaming music. It's a free download, so you could try it without buying a Squeezebox. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Depending on how far the distance is you could just run a long 3.5mm audio cable to connect them, Bluetooth would be the easiest way and the new protocols are capable of transferring lots of data at a good speed so I doubt it would impact the quality of the music as it is a digital link so it either works or it doesn't so you wouldn't lose any quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back