PC Sound cards
Dec 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Varinn

New Head-Fier
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new sound card for my PC, but I want some expert opinion on the choice before I go ahead. I used to have a Auzentech X-Plosion which I used with my Logitech speakers and Sennheiser PC151. This used to be enough for me, but I want something better now and my new computer doesnt support the X-Plosion. I am a mild enthusiast at best, but would like to hear something better. I am not looking for massive bass, or extreme volume and tend to keep things in the low-medium range volume wise. I just want a well rounded setup.

I'm trying to decide between the ASUS DX, and the DGX

Audio is currently onboard through an ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Speakers are currently Logitech Z5500 through optical (barely ever use them, hoping to replace with a quality 2.1 eventually)
Headphones will hopefully be the Sennheiser HD558's if christmas goes well :p (and if not, I'll just buy them anyways!)

I do 70% gaming, 30% music with no movies on my PC. I am not opposed to getting an external amp like a fiio E9 if needed but I'd prefer to go with a cheaper option. I'm currently leaning towards getting the DX and the 558's and if I decide I want an amp later getting a small external. Does anyone disagree with my choices??

PS: First post! thanks for reading

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new sound card for my PC, but I want some expert opinion on the choice before I go ahead. I used to have a Auzentech X-Plosion which I used with my Logitech speakers and Sennheiser PC151. This used to be enough for me, but I want something better now and my new computer doesnt support the X-Plosion. I am a mild enthusiast at best, but would like to hear something better. I am not looking for massive bass, or extreme volume and tend to keep things in the low-medium range volume wise. I just want a well rounded setup.
I'm trying to decide between the ASUS DX, and the DGX
Audio is currently onboard through an ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Speakers are currently Logitech Z5500 through optical (barely ever use them, hoping to replace with a quality 2.1 eventually)
Headphones will hopefully be the Sennheiser HD558's if christmas goes well :p (and if not, I'll just buy them anyways!)
I do 70% gaming, 30% music with no movies on my PC. I am not opposed to getting an external amp like a Fiio E9 if needed but I'd prefer to go with a cheaper option. I'm currently leaning towards getting the DX and the 558's and if I decide I want an amp later getting a small external. Does anyone disagree with my choices??
PS: First post! thanks for reading

The Xonar DGX comes with a basic headphone amplifier, the Xonar DX does not, the xonar DX comes with a high impedance headphone jack, not really great for good headphone sound.

Technically the Z-5500 will sound the best plugged into the analog speaker outputs on the Xonar DX (or DGX), the Xonar DX does come with a better DAC chip.
But with the DX (& DGX)/Z-5500 (analog connection) you would then need to connect the headphones to the front panel headphone jack or buy an external (optical input) DAC/Head amp.
If you used the Xonar DX's optical for the Z-5500, it would still be recommended that you get a headphone amplifier (connected to the DX's line-out/headphone jack (green).

The Xonar DG(X) does not support more then 2-channel output from it's optical port, Z-5500 is 6 channels (5.1).
So for your headphones,you would have to use the computer's front panel headphone jack or get an external (optical) DAC/ amp.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Considering most of your listening goes through gaming, I'd recommend you getting a Creative X-Fi Titanium (non-HD model). Refurbished models can be had for $39.90 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043). It is recommended that a headphone amp is used, with both the O2 and the Fiio E9 being solid options for the asking price, but entry-level amps like the PA2V2 and the Fiio E11 are also worth getting.

Keep in mind that Asus soundcards have partial gaming audio support and no positional cue improvement algorithms, like what's found on Creative X-Fi cards (except the XtremeAudio model that isn't a true X-Fi card).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back