PC/PS3 -> Denon AVR-1909 (-> Headphone amp)?
Dec 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dogilainen

Head-Fier

Hi!

My source is PC/PS3 (FLAC/CD/Blu-Ray) connected to Denon AVR-1909 via HDMI. At the moment I’m using old Sennheiser HD525’s (which I really like) plugged in to Denon’s Headphone out. I’ve dreamed of an upgrade, and will probably order a pair of Sennheiser 598’s quite soon. Before I do that, I have few simple question:

1) Would I benefit noticeably, in terms of sound quality, if I bought a headphone amp with 598’s? The amp cannot be expensive, let’s say 150 USD max.

2) If the answer is yes, how should I connect it to Denon?

3) I’d like to be able to use the new headphones/598’s occasionally with my Sansa Clip+. Is this combination usable? Sometimes I’ve used 525’s with my old Creative Muvo V200 “successfully”, so I think that it could be :wink:  

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Update, even though the amount of answers has been quite minimal :wink:

Question 1: Still no idea of this, going to buy 598's anyway in near future.

2: This is the biggest "black hole" in my knowledge.. Denon has "2 x Audio line-out (RCA phono x2)". Would it make any sense to feed Denon via HDMI, then connect headphone amp to those RCA line-out's and then headphones to headphone amp? I really don't want to connect the headphone amp directly to my PC, because my motherboard's DAC can't be anything but crap..

3: Fiio F5 ordered

I'd still appreciate any feedback!

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm not sure how much benefit a headphone amp would be over the Denon's headphone output.  It really depends on how good the out on the Denon is.  I'm not very familiar with the HD598, but I can't imagine they are difficult to drive.  From that standpoint, the Denon's output should be perfectly sufficient.  If you're satisfied with how it sounds, then you're set.  If you're happy with it, don't feel like you have to upgrade because someone says you can do better.  If you're satisfied and don't really care about that extra 5%, then save your money and stay away from this place. :wink:

As for your second question... yes.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Oh man.. just when I was satisfied with my decision to order HD598's my "nextdoor" hifi-shop put HD600's to quite nice discount. I could get HD598's for 240 USD, HD600's for 310USD (and HD650's for 308 USD).. Can't decide which ones would be better for my pop/hiphop/knopfler/games usage.

Powered by my Denon, as long as I feel the need to upgrade to Fiio E9 (no use for E7 since my Denon handles the DA conversion) :wink:

If I ever wanted to use them portably, they would have to satisfy to Fiio E5 + Sansa Clip+

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Waiting for answer from Denon to "what my 1909's headphone out is made of / has eaten" question..

Meanwhile I got to thinking that even if I wanted separate headphone amp, DAC would be useless to me, right?

Source -> HDMI -> HT Receiver -> RCA line-out's -> headphone amplifier.. So if I stick to Fiio products (thanks for the brainwash, head-fi'ers) all I "need" is E9?

P.S. Bought Sennheiser HD 598's today. Initial impression is that clarity is excellent, and sound is spaciuous. Low register, I mean the amount of it, is nothing to write home about, but overall I'm very, very satisfied. Classy, kind of "luxurious" in a funny way, sound, even if not made for bassheads. Source was Flac's -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-1909's headphone out. No burning in before listening. Tomorrow I'll try 598's with sansa clip+ without amping, and Clip+ + E5 when mr. postman brings it to me.

EDIT: Fiio E9 is commonly recommended, but is there any other options in roughly same price class? For example, What is this: http://www.hifi88.cn/G2.htm :D

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 8
A bit of warning: some receivers do not output digital sources (i.e. HDMI, optical, coaxial) to their RCA outputs, only to their built-in headphone port.

Make sure you check how your Denon works before you go ahead and buy a headphone amp.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Make sure you check how your Denon works before you go ahead and buy a headphone amp.

Thanks for the warning! Manual didn't help, so I contacted Denon. I just received info that my receiver does NOT output sound from digital source's to analog output. Only to speakers and headphone out. This creates a little problem..

I use my PC as source 95% of the time. It has Radeon HD 4550 card which is connected to Denon via HDMI and analog (3,5mm jack - RCA) cables. So even if I wanted to use my PC as a DAC before transmitting the (analog) signal to headphone amplifier, I would not have free output's left. PC with this kind of hardware as a DAC + some cheap splitters dividing the already questionable analog signal does not sound good to me..

So now I need to either buy DAC with USB connection to PC and then headphone amp, or update my PC's hardware to something better suited for this kind of work.

I bought 598's, and even though I love the clarity, precision and airy sound, they lack a little authority. I've thought to buy/try Indeed G2 amp with 6922 / 6N11 / 6N23P tube, if it'd help me to patch this lack of character in 598 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back