PC Music Library, a BackUp strategy that works for me
Feb 13, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
I have ALL my music on my PC, and generally do not play the actual CD's. I find this preferable, convienient, and meets my needs. I never planned to get as far into it as I have, but it has grown considerably and at times seems to have taken on a life of it's own
biggrin.gif

In little time I had a good deal of time and money invested.

However, I have learned 'the hard way' to safegaurd my library. Here is what has been working flawlessly for me (or at least no flaws have been discovered over the past 2 years
plainface.gif
).

Storage:

In the U.S. hard drive space can be easily had for approximately 50 cents per gigabyte, that is only $o.50/GB! I base my costs on new drives with a full manufacturer's warranty (which is generally 3-5 years) and alot of hunting/price-shopping.

I next add the cost of back-ups, in my case another matching hard drive, bringing my costs to $1.oo/GB.

Now, since I am (insert one: Paranoid, Anal-Retentive, Obsessive-Compulsive, Smart
biggrin.gif
), I add another $o.50/GB for "Insurance" and get a 3rd drive to use as a back-up/back-up.

Total Cost = $1.50/GB, Peace-of-Mind: Priceless
biggrin.gif

Working Strategy:

Next I have carefully considered my back-up strategy.
I avoid RAID (based upon past misadventures) as it complicates things and add additional failure-points. Also if you 'accidentally' delete part of your music library, it is INSTANTLY gone from the Mirror as well . . . . Not Good
mad.gif
especially for those of us who have a tendency towards being an 'air-head' at times
rolleyes.gif

I chose to use a software back-up solution (in my case 'SuperFlexibleFileSyncronyzer', but Karen's Replicator [freeware], Second Copy, or others will work).

I have a back-up done daily overnight to my 1st back-up set.
If I were to accidently delete something, unlike a RAID Mirror I still have all day to replace it from the backup before it is subject to being removed from there, yet I risk losing only the current day's additions and changes.
(I use 'Exact Mirror' copy mode so as to remove any files I've deleted from the Library to be removed from the backup. This keeps it's size managable and avoids 'Disk Full' errors during the backup. On a limited basis you could set the software not to delete these files from the backup, but it could outgrow the drive rather quickly.)

My 2nd BackUp set is run Weekly, on external drives so they can be better protected and/or stored off-site. This insures that even in the event of major failure or even some catastrophies I will not lose more than 1 week's additions/changes.

OK, so it is somewhat more costly to assemble, and a bit more work to setup and maintain, but . . .
So far (knock wood) this has been virtually bullet-proof.

Of course I am open to input, anything can be improved upon. And I encourage you to put time and thought into a solid backup plan. Of course it is easiest (perhaps less costly) to do this from the beginning, rather than after you have many gig's at risk.

Oh, a few last tips I've learned . . .

-Get the largest drives you can get, without driving the cost up . . . . $/GB is the key here. You can't get the biggest available for this price, but as drive sizes grow the old ones move from cutting-edge to middle-of-the-pack and their cost drops. Right now 200 - 250 - 300 gb are fairly ripe for picking, 400's should become workable by summer. Once the vertical drives become widely available the current drives should plummet in price shortly after IMO.
Just keep in mind that smaller drives can get unwieldy. . . .
for example, I would much prefer to run 2 - 500gb drives than 10 - 100gb drives. Heat, Power, Noise, Vibration, File Management, physical space in the case, all point you in this direction.
(Yes that's 1TB and it is a heck of a lot, but was an easy example to use . . . and besides, always plan ahead
biggrin.gif
).

-Go for the longest warranty on drives, I will only buy 5-year warranty drives. I've had to buy replacement drives and much prefer them to be free under warranty. This also reduces your replacement program costs . . .
oh, yes did we mention that? Drives Die! which is why we have r-e-d-u-n-d-a-n-c-y. Plan for it.

-Keep 'em COOL! It does not take much air to keep a Hard Drive happy so noise can be minimal and your drives will last longer.

well I have certainly have gone on quite a bit here, I hope this is helpful to at least someone else
600smile.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 23
do u keep ur backup drives on all the times since they're scheduled to backup? Then u'd be shortening the lifespan of them.

I keep my backup hd's off except when i'm backing up. that way i'm extending their lifespan as much as possible. I just backup once a month.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 23
I use 3 drives myself.

1) USB external. This gets dragged all over the place.
2) In the main PC.
3) USB external. Kept stored away from PC in case of fire theft.

Data is synched across them all. However always aware that the drives or even the PC itself can be stolen I use encrypted paritions for business data, family photos, email etc.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 23
Byron, keep your HDDs running all of the time. It's the transient on/off that kills the drives the most (1), heat/PSU (2), vibrations - again PSU (3), and not running. Check the specs of your drives, and you'll see yourself.

HDD running all of the time at optimal temperature will go for 100 years, BUT for only few thousand on/off cycles.

Only real backup is the one in the closet. Everything else is a copy. Banks (and horspitals) are the ones that have to adhere to these standarts, and they know best.

This is a widely discussed topic before, and I think general agreement was on some fancy DVD-R ($8 a piece or so) beacuse info can be easily retreieved in case of failure. I'm merely using 2 different PCs and backing-up in couple of months on Plextors DVD-R

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 23
I went with DVDR's at first but it was simply too much work managing 100GB+ of data on DVD's. HD's are much easier to manage and work with. If a disk dies in 2 or years I simply replace it. Theres still 2 other copies of the data. I also had problems with old CDR's and DVDR's not being read correctly on different drives. Which put me off them. I might use them as long term storage for archiving but not as my sole backup. I rarely keep drives for more than 2 or three years anyway. Though I have a 230mb drive in an old mac that must be over 10yrs old and still working fine.

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 23
Considering i only back up once a month a most, 2000/12 =166 years. that's more than a 100 years. Ha.. it's all good..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
HDD running all of the time at optimal temperature will go for 100 years, BUT for only few thousand on/off cycles.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 23
If you can stomach rebate(s), its more like $0.25/GB and lower for a decent PATA drive nowadays.

I thought missing out on that 200gig for $30 on BF was the biggest mistake I made, but I landed a $38 after rebate few weeks later so I am still happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 23
Right now I have all my data on my computer, soon to be put on 3 other computers, and on an external hard drive that I keep off most of the time, so I'm decently safe. Also, I only have 6 gigs of music to lose, and I have most of the CDs so I'm not really worried. I also have my Zen Micro with all my music, but that doesn't really count.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 23
Turning off hd's bad? Nope.. as long as u don't do it 5 times a day:

From EnergyStar website
"The belief that frequent shutdowns are harmful persists from the days when hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off; frequent on-off cycling could damage such hard disks. Conventional wisdom, however, has not kept pace with the rapid technological change in the computer industry. Modern hard disks are not significantly affected by frequent shutdowns." http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._mgt.pr_pm_faq

University of California Lawrence Berkeley Lab for US Dept. of Energy
"It is a common myth that turning computer off and on is bad for it. Research on current technology shows an improvement in system life when the equipment is turned off, since heat and mechanical stress are the two leading causes of computer failure. On older equipment there was concern about power cycling stress (particularly on hard disks) but this is no longer true".

Compaq
Stated that the modern PC's power switch is a 'soft switch' and that 'inrush' power damage is no longer happening. They recommend turning their PC's off.

Department of Industry, Science and Resources
"Modern computers are designed to be switched off when not in use. Indeed, switching off is likely to prolong their lives as the hard disk is less likely to fail if it runs for shorter periods"

Source:
http://www.energy.unsw.edu.au/unswitch/experts.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
harddrives are made to run 24/7

people have been saying that turning things on and off is actually worse for your computer parts than just leaving them on

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 23
My USB drives in a exteral enclosures get turned on and off about 5 or 6 times a day, then it gets thrown in a bag and hauled about all over. If it lasts a year then well and good. I suspect in a year I'll upgrade to a bigger drive anyway.

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 23
I turn my computer on in the morning and turn it off when I go to bed. Occasionally I might leave it downloading overnight.

I constantly monitor the temperatures and they're the same when I go to bed as when I get up.

I do believe leaving it on 24/7 is not ideal. Nothing lasts forever, everything has a finite life, which is being used up every minute its on. What sounds better; Forever or having it off for 84 hours per week doing nothing, being motionless?
Constant turning on and off is probably bad, but not twice a day.

Things may well be designed to run a lot longer, but show me an everlasting bearing, one which prefers to be spinning over being still.

edit - Offices turn their computers off overnight and over the weekends.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Servers run 24/7.

Servers also cost a lot lot more than your average computer.

edit - My Dad oversees 3500 computers in his immediate area, they're turned off every night. Also servers have operations to perform at anytime, so they have to stay on.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 23
If reliability is more important than power savings, I still see no reason to induce termeparure sterss on my HDDs. I saw far too many dead HDDs, but only once - out of a server (6yr old Quantum Fireball)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back