PC Music Library, a BackUp strategy that works for me
Feb 15, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 23
my computer stays on all day because I am using it and playing music with it,
it remains on when I go to sleep as it has a night job
biggrin.gif

I thought about the pro's & con's of always-on vs. on/off, according to Western Digital it is best to leave them run unless turning off for long periods . . . obviously subject to interpretation.

Since I have one set that is always running and one that only runs a few hours per week, I will let you know which lasts longest within a few years
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I have 5 years warranty, I expect to begin replacement after that point anyway. Factor that into your costs:

50 cents per GB, divided by 5 years = only peanuts. ( $o.10/gb/yr )

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #17 of 23
it's ok to have a computer on all the time.. i keep my htpc and my data server on all the time cause i don't want to have to turn them on everytime i want to use them

The point was that for backup hd's, for better lifespans, it's better to just keep them off and only turn them on when backing up (once every couple of months in my case).

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #18 of 23
I use two computers at home (with 500GB D: drives) connected via gigabit ethernet, so I do a filesync (for music, pictures, various documents, etc.) between them every 4-5 days. I then bring one of them down to my Dad's house in L.A. (400 miles away) every 3-6 months and copy the files there. That's my backup plan.
icon10.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #19 of 23
I keep meaning to physically back up my hdd's but I need to buy two and I don't have the mony for that. Yet. I'm glad you did. I think it is by far, the best way to protect the enormous amount of time it takes to rip all of those cds.

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Servers also cost a lot lot more than your average computer.

edit - My Dad oversees 3500 computers in his immediate area, they're turned off every night. Also servers have operations to perform at anytime, so they have to stay on.

A server is simply a computer that is used as a server. I've been in IT for a long time and I've yet to work in a company that turned off all its computers at night. At best you get about 60% of them being turned off.

3500 is a lot of machines. How do fit them all into your immediate area?

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
3500 is a lot of machines. How do fit them all into your immediate area?

Those 3500 computers aren't in his office! Hes quite high up in the MoD(Ministry of Defense). I live near Portmouth too, so theres a lot of military bases around here. I used to work in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back