PC Magazine reviews E4c, super fi pro, er4p, er6i, and ex71
Jul 8, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 47
Hey, I agree with their review mostly.

ER6i is an editor's choice...makes sense to me....as I think it's one of the best values in canalphones (esp for $80-90 street price)

And *I* know I like my ER4....so their assessment of that one is right on the money
etysmile.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
What are you looking for your new IEM to do?

Ideally I would like an IEM that has an AKG-like midrange and good detail. I am more interested in bass quality than bass quantity. I don't mind a little bit of recession in the highs as it makes them more listenable, less fatigue.

Hopefully I made the right choice with the Shure E4's as they are already ordered.
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Hopefully I made the right choice with the Shure E4's as they are already ordered.
tongue.gif

I think you did ok

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Ideally I would like an IEM that has an AKG-like midrange and good detail. I am more interested in bass quality than bass quantity. I don't mind a little bit of recession in the highs as it makes them more listenable, less fatigue.

tongue.gif

Hehehe, I think you made the right choice.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 47
Hopefully you are both right.
eek.gif

-----------

I think this is funny... pulled from the Super.Fi Pro review on PC Mag's site:

"In our lab testing, the 5Pro provided approximately the same level of noise attenuation as both the Shure E4c and Sony MDR-EX71—just enough to let you enjoy your music in a noisy subway car, though you'll still hear loud voices. For serious isolation, you may want to check out active noise-canceling headphones like the Bose Quiet Comfort2."

rolleyes.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Hopefully you are both right.
eek.gif

I think they are.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

I think this is funny... pulled from the Super.Fi Pro review on PC Mag's site:

"In our lab testing, the 5Pro provided approximately the same level of noise attenuation as both the Shure E4c and Sony MDR-EX71—just enough to let you enjoy your music in a noisy subway car, though you'll still hear loud voices. For serious isolation, you may want to check out active noise-canceling headphones like the Bose Quiet Comfort2."

rolleyes.gif

What I can't get over is how little they felt the E4 isolates. I mean sure, if you use the soft grey flanges they don't isolate a ton, but but if you're using the foam sleeves or tri-flange, they isolate as well as the Etymotics do.

and what the hell does "frequency response: slow start strong finish" mean?!?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49
From what you are decribing sounds more like super.fi pros to me. E4 is lacking in bass area quite a bit!

Yeah but he wanted quality over quantity. The SF5P changes vocal tonality a little by slightly lowering the pitch. The E4 is more accurate.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

From what you are decribing sounds more like super.fi pros to me. E4 is lacking in bass area quite a bit!

You're probably right on that. The Superfi's are known for the authoritative bass character. But the E4 might be the next best thing.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

From what I have read in reviews other than yours, the E4's have a good amount of bass when using the foam inserts and getting a proper seal. And I did ask for quality over quantity... I'm no basshead. So far my favourite headphones have been K340, K271S, K501, K1000... these are not bass heavy headphones.
340smile.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Yeah but he wanted quality over quantity. The SF5P changes vocal tonality a little by slightly lowering the pitch. The E4 is more accurate.

Are you saying the super.fi's lack bass quality because I would have to dis agree. If you mean more accurate as more neutral sound then OK.

The bass is very accurate tight and plenty of it! As are the highs but the eq on the e4 might be straight and the superfis would look like a U

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #28 of 47
With a proper seal the E4 are no slouch in the bass. Not bass heavy per se but very well balanced in my opinion.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

The bass is very accurate tight and plenty of it! As are the highs but the eq on the e4 might be straight and the superfis would look like a U

Seems I chose right in that case... if there is anything I can't stand, it's a recessed midrange.
eek.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Are you saying the super.fi's lack bass quality because I would have to dis agree. If you mean more accurate as more neutral sound then OK.

It sounds great and has a lot of texture until things start getting complex, then the SF5P gets a bit muddy IMHO.

Yes, I would consider neutral sound more accurate than a colored sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back