PC Magazine reviews E4c, super fi pro, er4p, er6i, and ex71
Jul 7, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 47
Hmm their comparison of the superfi pro and e4c are making me rethink my choice in getting the E4s
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 47
ummm. they said ex71's had deep clean bass
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

I thought it was generally agreed they were muddy (at least I thought they were muddy).
ANd they said that the e4c's had good highs, which is kinda what they are lacking it sounds like (treble rolloff)
Anyway I am still happy with my purchase of my $189 e4c's, and I await their arrival eagerly
etysmile.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiguy411
Yeah, but I keep beating myself up with wondering if I should go with the UE or E4s. Ah its killing me! I just dont know!

Buy BOTH (end the misery)
lambda.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 47
So nothing has been cleared up. *sigh*

We've got Jaspers review where he chooses the E4's, this PC Mag review that chooses the ER4P and some that endorse the Super.Fi Pro's.

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
So nothing has been cleared up. *sigh*

We've got Jaspers review where he chooses the E4's, this PC Mag review that chooses the ER4P and some that endorse the Super.Fi Pro's.

What are you looking for your new IEM to do?

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 47
Don't trust reviews from non-audiophile sites, I'm not trying to sound elitist, just saying. I don't really trust cnet for anything either.

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Don't trust reviews from non-audiophile sites, I'm not trying to sound elitist, just saying. I don't really trust cnet for anything either.

Yeah. It would be like a car magazine commenting on quality and value of, say, a car computer product (carputer, if they have such things in retail). There may be some good writers that have some experience, but they're not experts on it.

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 47
Great review. I get the feeling that they know a thing or two about audio because they talk about using amps with the er4s and describe frequency responses the same way we do at head-fi. The ER4p/s wins in the PC Magazine rating...this agrees with head-fi polls. The ER6i places quite high as well.
etysmile.gif
That's fabulous. Etymotic kicks ass. I also agree that the EX71 is a very good value headphone at $35 it is a great buy. It has bloated bass though which may work great with some portables with weak bass output. I can see why the Shure E4 may be rated lower than the ER6i...it is not the best value headphone (performance/$$$).

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1834534,00.asp

Good review - very accurate acording to my experience.

Etymotic 4S if you use an external amp, otherwise the more efficient Etymotic 4P. You have to get used to properly inserting and caring for them though - not as easy as popping on a headset. I use Q tips to clean my ears before using them to avoid getting wax in the driver filter (replacable though).

Sony EX70 or EX71 offers the best sound for under $75 for portable use without an amp, and use the EX81 if you jog (has an earclip). Bass with these units depends on fit in the ear - they have a bass emphasis if fitted in the ear good but this is pleasing, and good for bass weak amps in portables. If you want o cut down on the bass, simply fit them slightly less in the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back