PC head-fi'ers
Feb 16, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 35
Save up and get the XFire if you care about sound quality. You'll definately hear a HUGE difference. However, if you have a slow computer, but want to play games with 3D sound more than you listen to music on the PC, XFire is not for you, it does all the surround effects through software (if you have fast pc, you've got nothing to worry about)

Feb 16, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #33 of 35
You can tell the SonicFury wasn't made with sound quality as top priority as it's a mass market sound card geared towards gamers... Take a look at the other sound cards that Terratec makes. This should answer your question.

If comparisons interest you, check one out that involves the 6Fire(XFire's big brother) and Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy(SonicFurys main competition).
http://www.tomshardware.com/video/02...115/index.html

Feb 16, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 35
I don't think this really answers the question. I mean just because Terratec makes some professional soundcards, dosen't make the XFire better. The XFire is also a "mass market soundcard", just like the SB Live, or the SonicFury. So the question still remains: is it really better? That can only be answered by listening tests, comparing these soundcards.
The THG article you linked is about the 6Fire, which is a totally different soundcard. Saying that it is the XFire's big brother is misleading, in my opinion.

Feb 16, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 35
You've got a point there. But I don't see any bad products that Terratec makes. Many of their sound cards are based around one major product, much like the other companies. I don't think you could go wrong with this.

The XFire is hardly a hype product, I only know of one online dealer in the US that you can even buy it, where as there are many places that sell the Santa Cruz(with all its acclaimed PC awards) sound card. Granted the XFire has PC awards too, but they're not high profile media grabbing ones, oh and they don't claim audiophile sound quality, lol.

The XFire and 6Fire are different cards in terms of technology, but they have similar features. I said it as a confidence booster.

Since you seem to have a very tight budget, I don't think I can help you decide which of the two to go for. My advise is look for GOOD reviews of both cards, considering you probably can't try them without first purchasing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back