PC head-fi'ers
Jan 16, 2002 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

kpxgq

New Head-Fier
i just bought my sennheiser hd495 primarily for use with my computer... now right now i am using the onboard audio card but i want to upgrade.... any suggestions... one thing that i wonder about is that it is reccomended for my headphones to have an amplifier.... are there any pc sound cards that have a pre-amp out for the headphone or do i just need to buy a seperate headphone amp??? what sound cards do u guys use??? i dont want to pay $150 for a sound blaster platinum when im not even gonna be using the 5.1 speaker connectors (i have no speakers)

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 35
I can highly recommend the Turtle Beach SantaCruz.

One of the best features is the Versajack connection, I can have speakers plugged in as well as headphones, and with a simple setting in the soundcards control panel I can switch from speakers to headphones without shuffling cables.

That and the quality of the output is very nice - clean and clear.

Jan 16, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 35
might want to check out stereo-link 1200 or audophile 2496 as well.

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 35
that's the card I got in my system right now.
wink.gif

Hehe. Usually the general consenus is that any sound card /w the Senasura chip (i probably spelled that wrong) would be good for you.

All those would be a good bet if you want to spend some moola. But if you do want to upgrade to some "higher-end" headphones - I think you might also want to consider a few high end sound cards as well.

Note: I don't mean the GTXP nor the Audigy

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 35
Audiophile 2496, seconded.

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 35
An amp can make a big differance in sound quality, but better to focus on the basic output quality first. Onboard AC97 audio seriously bites, so a decent sound card should be your first move. And preferably install it in a slot where it won't have to share an IRQ. Then go from there. If you're on a budget the Rythmic Edge is a good choice.

Computer - Dell, 1.4 Athlon@1.5
Sound card - Philips Acoustic Edge (5.1 sound support)
Phones - Sennheiser HD590
Phone Amp - Audio Design PM100 Preamp

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 35
Well, what is most important to you?

Headphone computer gaming?

Pure music quality?

I personally would have gone with the Philips HP890's and the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for headphone computer gaming, headphone dvd watching, and headphone music listening on a PC.

Jan 16, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 35
but if you're more concerned /w music quality you might want to shell out for the stereo-link 1200. Course please remember you won't have any nifty EAX effects in your games no more if you do buy this thing.

Heh.......good luck man.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 35
i dont really want to shell out $100+ for really high end audiophile sound card (i mean i do have just a 495 not an orpheous or anything)... EAX would be cool... so yeah i think i will check out the santa cruz, or acoustic edge.. how much is the audiophile 2???

do u guys reccomend me to get a heaphone amp as well?

o yeah , bte, you guys that dont use headphone amps, how do u control the volume? do u just use the built in windows software volume control?

Jan 16, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 35
I use my X-Cans off my soundcard and it's perfect - no noise or hiss at all to speak of.

Most of my headphones are 250ohm though, so I need the amp for best results.

I can run my Beyer 250-80s straight off the soundcard, but I like the sound from the amplifier more.

Jan 16, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 35
* most bang for buck* The Terratec XFire is under $100 if you can find it (card is hard to come by).

The Midiman M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is $230. Recommend the DiO 2448 instead ($150). (these cards are strictly for music only)

Philips Acoustic Edge is decent, widely available, and is $100 (has all kinds of features you might like).

Jan 16, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 35
I second the Santa Cruz. It's just shy of $100, supports Sensura, A3D, EAX, etc.... Also has SPDIF in (for CD-ROM) and SPDIF out (via versa jack). Apparaently also has good output quality as far as sound cards go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back