PC Gaming earphones? (Brainwavz M3?)
Dec 2, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xHawky

Head-Fier
I've been through the range of headphones I can buy for PC use, which isn't a large range since I'm limited on buying sources. So I'm pretty much limiting this thread to just these pairs of earphones:
*HiFiMan RE0
*Shure SE102
*Vsonic R02Pro2
*Klipsch Image S4

I listen to pretty much anything, though I prefer techno/trance/etc, especially surround sounding psychill.

However I also game, first person shooters especially, now I know headphones are best for this (especially the Audio Technica 700's), however I'd prefer some noise isolation due to my recent switch of position in my house not to mention I don't want someone from the next room hearing what I'm listening to. Most closed back headphones tend to use pleather earcups which I loathe.

Currently I'm using a pair of $20 Logitech Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 100v's, which have lasted about a year or so with my mp3 player. Since a month ago I've started using these for my PC and gaming, granted they aren't anything like my mother's sennheiser HD555's soundstage, they still did well enough with an emulated surround sound option with my sound card. As of now, the left earpiece sounds dull as though it's running on half power, and at one stage went out completely, so I am replacing these.

So the main question would be, how would HiFiMan RE0, Shure SE102, Vsonic R02Pro2 & Klipsch Image S4 fair in soundstage quality and fast processing of a large variety of sounds for gaming? (such as gun shots, vehicles, explosions, foot steps, etc).

Cheers.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 12
I haven't used the S4, but I have used the Soundmagic PL50 for FPS games, and can heartily recommend it. The bass is a little lacking for explosions, etc. However, the positioning is unmatched in my experience. I was wowed as to how well I could point to footsteps. Games: Counterstrike and Battlefield 2.

Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 12
better can be had for less than what the S4's cost. the Brainwavz M2's are a good option. they sound better that the S4 in my opinion. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 12
I've never heard of either of these brands, would you know of any decent online retailer that ships to Australia? Perferably using a paypal checkout. I've got very limited sources that I know of.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: One of the best Australian audiophile retailers now allows paypal I found out. They have the PL50 in stock.

@Zucham, even though the bass lacks in-game (as that might be due to the sound stage?), does it do any better in music?

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 12
Brainwavz products are bought from MP4nation.net. they are a reputable place and i am pretty sure they ship to where you are. they ship right out of china.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 12
The new Brainwavz M3 should work really well IMO as it has very impressive positioning for an in-ear earphone. Only $10 more than the RE0 and they ship free. Also I think mp4nation is still running a coupon code for a free pair of M1s with an M3 purchase.

I've owned the VSonic R02ProII (mediocre), Klipsch S4 (too aggressive, not that great of a soundstage), RE0 (quite great but not for gaming) and would easily pick the M3 over them for gaming/movies.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 12
"The design of the M3 is quite different, to be honest there maybe some who will not enjoy how the M3 fit in their ears and for some it may take getting used to"

Are those back left/right rectangle like areas removeable? They seem as though they'd be annoying, from the images.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 12
They are not removable - they stay in your ear and keep the earphones in place. They do take some getting used to but with the right tips they aren't uncomfortable. I wear the M3 over-the-ear anyway which makes those things point outward and not bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back