PC Gamers-Recommend some games.
Jan 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrath
Rome: Total War, my favorite game of 2004. Half-Life 2 takes a close second.

Rome Total War is an awesome game. Blends the RTS type of games (Warcraft) with Civilization's empire building game. There are so many nuances to Rome. Highly recommend it.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 36
Far Cry was my game of the year for 2004... far cry is the only game which I have played twice from start to finish, and I won't mind finishing it for the third time after a system upgrade.

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 36
Far Cry was both short and drawn out.

Too many stupid levels, the only really fun ones are the outdoor, jungle/beach levels, really.

Morrowind was very fun (played on the big screen, via Xbox) I ended up power gaming it, and killing everything in 1 hit (well, Vivec in... 12 IIRC)

Daedric Dai-Katana, Glass Armor, and exquisuite clothes and jewelery. All enchanted to perfection. ~90 magicka resist. (CE)
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #21 of 36
I highly recommend Gothic - a very nice game, I'd claim. For Gothic II (also nice, but maybe a bit less than its predecessor, 'cause imho a better storyplay more than compensates a bit less impressive graphics...) I'd recommend to get the gold edition that already includes the later released add-on, because it's embedded into the main story - thus, if one gets the add-on seperately and later on, one basically has to play through the whole game again: That sucks!
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelfly
Ho ho ho, Baldur's Gate is very far from hack & slash.

I suggest Sacred and Morrowind.

Yeah, maybe I should rephrase that, similar to the Xbox versions of the Baldurs Gate games.

And I have Morrowind and I can't get into it. I've already got Doom 3 and Halo 2, in fact here is my current game collection.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 36
I am kind of stunned no one has mentioned WoW (World of Warcraft). I have only seen it at a LAN Cafe. But I have many friends who say that it is the RPG equivalent of Crack. Anyways I will definitely be buying it as soon as my computer is upgraded.

Personally I like Halo2 (if u have an XBox).

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #25 of 36
Someone mentioned Planescape Torment. I second that one. Easily one of the best RPGs ever created. Morrowind was pretty good in design and concept, and rocked the first half. It fell short towards the end game. Too bad, it had lots of potential.

If you're an RTS fan, or strategy fan, or both, then by all means do not hesitate one second longer and buy yourself Rome: Total War. It has quickly become one of my all time favorite games. Very strategic (think xcom), very tactical, and even has RPG elements to it. And you could play it 4 or 5 times over again and it be a different game each time. Game of the year, easy.

Shogun: Total War (older, but still good) is the next best in the series in my opinion. That might only be because it was the first one and I played it to death when it came out. So I might have fond memories of it. But I still like it better than Medieval: Total War. Dunno, something didn't rub me the right way in that game. Shogun rocked though.

So yea, Planescape Torment, Rome: Total War, and Half-Life 2.

As for multiplayer action, there has yet to be a game that bests the pure adrenaline, speed, skill requirements, and fun of Quakeworld Team Deathmatch or Quakeworld Clan Arena. Sure, it was the first real mainstream multiplayer first person shooter, but they got something right with that game. The only game that has come close has been Tribes 1. I hate this current trend of realism and slow gameplay personally. I liked Rainbow 6 and counterstrike when they first came out, but man give me speed and skill anyday. I want aim to actually be a factor in game, not BS random scattering. I want to be able to control my charecter in crazy movement and use the enviroment as part of the game. Not just roll down cookie cutter hallways and paths and shoot. Back then, games took skill. Now they just take time.

Tribes 1, Quakeworld, and Action Quake2 will always be the pinnacle of gaming to me until someone comes up with a faster, more skill based game. It's time to start catering to the hardcore shooters again
biggrin.gif
. Quake3 was too balanced and too mainstream. I have hopes for Q4, but who knows.

Fun > Realism

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by toor
I am kind of stunned no one has mentioned WoW (World of Warcraft). I have only seen it at a LAN Cafe. But I have many friends who say that it is the RPG equivalent of Crack. Anyways I will definitely be buying it as soon as my computer is upgraded.

Personally I like Halo2 (if u have an XBox).

I don't like the idea of paying to own the game, then paying every month to play it, so WoW is out for me. I'm really disappointed on this one.

Jan 5, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #27 of 36
WOW IT!
world of warcraft.
half of my counter-strike buddies are now playing WOW instead of CS. our vent channel used to serve for scrimmin communiaction purposes, but now its occupied by 20 WOWers from my school.

personally, i played the beta and liked it, but the $15/month is just too much for a poor high schooler like me, so i sold the retail game to some little kid at my school for 30$ ( and i get to play for the free 2 months
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 36
So Icewind Dale and Morrow Wind are not turned based right? I was playing Balders Gate on the PS2 and you attack in real time. I like that, but can't stand turned based games.

Jan 5, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I don't like the idea of paying to own the game, then paying every month to play it, so WoW is out for me. I'm really disappointed on this one.

You pay for the maintenance of the incredibly powerful server clusters and bandwidth that the game developers provide for you. What's wrong with that? Yeah sure FPS's have servers, but there are people behind those servers paying for them for other people's benefit. Plus MMORPGs are so incredibly addictive, it's potentially life ruining (not being sarcastic), and WoW is the holy-grail of MMORPGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back