PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Mar 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #8,926 of 9,120
@JuanseAmador I would get the 6700K if I were you, the improvement from more cores won't really matter for video editing depending on the volume of video that you go through. In terms of gaming performance the 6700k and the 5820K might have the same lifespan depending on how well DX12 takes off and how well multicore stuff does. With video editing and productivity work it won't really matter unless you are at the pro-level working with terabytes of video that need to the processed, rendered, exported, etc. otherwise it's kinda a waste. Broadwell itself at this point is kind of useless, on paper it sounds nice, but you are paying (40 USD difference, not counting the difference in mobo prices) the same for slightly more multi-thread performance and 40 more watts of heat.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #8,927 of 9,120
This is kind of the wrong thread for this, and - as much as I am a real advocate of all things Android, it has to be considered that Android can be installed on 1,001 different devices from 101 different manufacturers, whereas iOS gets it right (whether jailbroken or not is up to the individual) is that you keep the same core hardware (tweaked slightly with each generation admittedly) so - you have seven or eight different versions of the device, made by only one manufacturer - this keeps things much more simple...

On the flip side, bringing this back on track, I'm looking forward to Broadwell-E - will be interesting to see how it sits compared to my 4.7ghz (+uncore same speed) 5930K -- as said, single thread isn't fantastic - although overclocked as it is, it beats out a 6700K...

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #8,928 of 9,120
BTW here is my 5930K... voltage right at the top end on the uncore, but am running it at 4.75ghz, and cores at 4.875ghz as shown...

For those interested in the numbers, single thread is 2196 and multi thread is 14030 - not too bad at all :)

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #8,929 of 9,120
BTW here is my 5930K... voltage right at the top end on the uncore, but am running it at 4.75ghz, and cores at 4.875ghz as shown...

For those interested in the numbers, single thread is 2196 and multi thread is 14030 - not too bad at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Scores at great, but what temp do you have under load?

Seems as if for 4.8 - 4.9 GHz you would reach thermal throttle under load without an extreme cooler. Especially with it not being very undervolted. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #8,930 of 9,120
Scores at great, but what temp do you have under load?

Seems as if for 4.8 - 4.9 GHz you would reach thermal throttle under load without an extreme cooler. Especially with it not being very undervolted. 
66c at full load, but - it will NOT run Prime95, although Haswell-E has never been toted as being able to do that.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #8,931 of 9,120
66c at full load, but - it will NOT run Prime95, although Haswell-E has never been toted as being able to do that.

66C under full load is extremely good for that OC. 

I wish you enjoy it to the max! It must bring very good day to day experience with such great OC. 

I am very new with oc, and thinking of OCing an 6700K to 4.4 GHz is so great. I am curious where this will take me next. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #8,932 of 9,120
That looks great but, what do you mean it will not run Prime95? What other method do you use define complete stability then? 66c with all cores/threads fully loaded? 
confused_face_2.gif

Though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised because the die is said to be soldered on to the heatspreader anyways so the temperatures will be a lot more consistent and perform better with any heatsink. 
biggrin.gif

Also that overclock is ridiculous.
blink.gif
 Some people always seem to be incredibly lucky with the chip lottery. 4.9GHz at 1.3v? Most people only get around 4.5GHz at 1.3v and can't even go above 4.6 with some 5930K/5820K/5960X.

That single threaded performance is still kinda low though 
frown.gif
 a 6700K at those speeds would still easily go above 2200, but good enough lol.

By the way, the 5820K seems like a great deal right now since it's $10 cheaper than the 6700K and considering the better multi-core utilization coming with dx12, but people often forget that a 2011v3 mobo also costs around $100 more than a 1151 mobo of equal quality.. so you'd still end up paying almost $100 more for the 6 core setup. 
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #8,933 of 9,120
I use various benchmarking tools (AIDA being my main one for benching and CPUZ for stress testing) and confirm 100% utilisation, but Prime95 is well known to not play nicely with Haswell-E, it will run fine on stock, but even a mild overclock will crash...

My GFX is seriously overclocked as well, 2x 980ti running a boost of 1541Mhz and ram at 8200Mhz, any further than that and I get visible artefacts... Works well on 3DMark Extreme :)

The only thing that sucks (although this only makes the final nth percent) is that I cheaped out on my RAM, XMP2 max is 2800mhz... :frowning2:

Add in my nvme 950 Pro system drive, and I have a system that flies through anything.

Looking forward to what Broadwell-E brings to the table, but if I'm going to have to play a silicon lottery again, might well stay where I am.

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #8,934 of 9,120
I use various benchmarking tools (AIDA being my main one for benching and CPUZ for stress testing) and confirm 100% utilisation, but Prime95 is well known to not play nicely with Haswell-E, it will run fine on stock, but even a mild overclock will crash...

My GFX is seriously overclocked as well, 2x 980ti running a boost of 1541Mhz and ram at 8200Mhz, any further than that and I get visible artefacts... Works well on 3DMark Extreme
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing that sucks (although this only makes the final nth percent) is that I cheaped out on my RAM, XMP2 max is 2800mhz...
frown.gif

Add in my nvme 950 Pro system drive, and I have a system that flies through anything.

Looking forward to what Broadwell-E brings to the table, but if I'm going to have to play a silicon lottery again, might well stay where I am.

Is not 2800MHz Ram generally the highest option?

I was thinking to get G.skill ripjaws 2800MHz, and thought that this is the max for good ram?

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #8,935 of 9,120
DDR4 goes up to 3600 at the moment, but you have to seriously pay through the nose for that little bump in performance...

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #8,936 of 9,120
I think people have too much money when they have to worry about RAM. 
tongue_smile.gif

There really is like no benefit 99% of the time, especially when you go above the mainstream and affordable 2666 MHz CL15

Check out this whole article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/4

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #8,937 of 9,120
To be fair, exactly correct, yes - it really is the final nth percent, and not worth the heavy financial investment unless you truly have money to burn.

One thing that arguably helps the system more, which is what I'm glad I lucked out with is the ability to over clock the uncore... Although even that is limited as to what it helps with.

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #8,938 of 9,120
I have a question actually...

The 980ti's are the first SLI rig I've had since way back (2x 9800GX2). and there is one issue that I cannot fix...

When first booting / returning from hibernation windows do not pop up correctly (just the edge of the windows, inside the window is what was behind it before on the primary screen, but the secondary screen works fine (my TV) the only way I can get around this is by Windows+P button to select 'second screen only' and then flick it back - after that all is good...

I've trued searching for others that have this, but not exactly sure of what search terms to use, hence haven't found a solution, even if this afflicts lots of other people. this does NOT happen if running the cards separately....

Any thoughts?

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #8,939 of 9,120
So I see Windows 10 still has terrible display management between the graphics card(s) then. It's not surprising because I've had many display issues in the past such as profiles not loading properly after a Windows+P... Windows+P might fix some weird display bugs, but can also breaks certain things like calibration until you manually reload or change your refresh rate. 
frown.gif

This is unrelated but I've also been told that Windows 10 happily causes BSOD's with any outdated drivers that are not yet supported. Common examples are with USB DACS/DAC Amps that worked completely fine before but now causes bluescreens at random times.

- A good reason to wait until the absolute last moment to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #8,940 of 9,120
Guys, does anybody here know CSS and Javascript?

I'm trying to make a navigation bar like this one on Revlon's website; http://www.revlon.com/ (the pictures with text which you can click on the bottom of the page). The most important part of this is that when I click or mouse-over any of the items it doesn't redirect you to a different page, it just changes the content, like a slideshow. Anybody know how this is called? And can anyone help me out a little, please? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back