PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Mar 17, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #8,896 of 9,120

Yes, that high pitched whine sounds soo familiar.. 
basshead.gif

And the ear bleeding that comes after...

Makes me question how it's server grade and rated for 24/7 when it sounds like it's about to have a nuclear meltdown at all times haha 
biggrin.gif

I sure hope those bearings/sleeves or whatever they use in them are durable enough; AKA are made of diamonds. Seems like chance of failure would be high with something like a 12x12 grid of these too.  

But you know they are serious business when they have a chrome fan grill over them.
cool.gif

Yeah, part of the noise is the fact they use ball bearings instead of sleeve. It's more cost efficient to manufacture a ball bearing with a long life expectancy than a sleeve bearing of equal quality. The majority of Delta's stuff is ball, with a few sleeve bearing fans at the low end (DSB series).

http://www.nmbtc.com/fans/white-papers/fans_ball_vs_sleeve/

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #8,897 of 9,120
What are your thoughts for a first time build? Video-editing and gaming.

CPU: i7 6700K Quad-core LGA 1151 or i7 5820K Six-core Haswell LGA 2011-v3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB Gaming OC Edition
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X or Asus X99 Sabertooth
RAM: 32 GB DDR3 or DDR4
STORAGE: WD Black 2TB HDD 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
PSU: Corsair 850W
COOLING: Corsair Hydro H100i Extreme 280mm Liquid Cooler
CASE: Fractal Design R5

Peripherals:

MONITOR: ASUS MG279Q Black 27" 144 Hz 4ms (GTG) WQHD Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED IPS Panel (kinda expensive)
KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard (not sold since it's really damn expensive)
MOUSE: Logitech G700 mouse (No idea on which to get)
AUDIO: Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber > Fostex TH-X00/HD 25-1

Help is much appreciated.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #8,898 of 9,120

Peripherals:

MONITOR: ASUS MG279Q Black 27" 144 Hz 4ms (GTG) WQHD Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED IPS Panel (kinda expensive)

GPU : GTX970 is not enough for all games at fullhd, and not enough for most games at 4K. You should take into account this fact, as
GTX980 is sometimes just a bit more expensive, and having OC int he name of the GPU is not great. Some of them are over-volted and will throttle, so best thing is to buy a normal GTX980 if money permits. I see that you are getting a 1440 screen, so you could feel GTX970 a bit under powered, depending on game and game settings. 

RAM : 32 GB of DDR4 should be enough for most scenarios, but I think that you can live with 16 GB too, depending on what software you use, and for what. 32GB is useful for some programs, especially photo editing, if you edit very large photos. AFAIK video editing will always use a scratch disk. 

I would recommend Mad Catz RAT PRO X as a mouse, because I have been using it for a while now, and I find it the best mouse ever created. Totally satisfied. If there is one downside to it, it needs cleaning once a few days, because some of the texture catches dirt, but it comes with a small brush, and the entire operation takes 1 minute. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,899 of 9,120

Peripherals:

PC build is fine, I'd get more storage for video editing and a bigger SSD...256GB might seem like a lot, but it's tiny and 2TB is gonna fill up very quick. If you have to drop from the 2011 to do so, I would, if you overclock the 6700K it'll be more than fast enough unless you're really planning to hammer it hard in editing.

RAM, no reason not to go DDR4, DDR3 is old tech and price isn't very different.

GPU, the 980 + 6700K would be better for gaming, especially at the native res of the monitor you chose. But for video editing the 970 + 5820K is better. Your choice.

Keyboard...unless you really want the pointless as screw RGB lighting you can just get the version with a single colour...or any other mechy keyboard with backlighting.

Audio. Needs more Orpheus 2.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #8,900 of 9,120

Peripherals:

Video editing is quite CPU intensive... so the Haswell-E will serve you better with more cores and threads. However, you should know that you will be limited to the LGA 2011 socket which has already been around for 5 years despite the recent third generation update. Don't think it will have much of any life left in it, upgradeability-wise.

If you get the 6700K, the 1151 socket mobo is good until at least 2018 for Kaby Lake and Cannonlake processors (the next 2 generations) so you won't need to buy a new Mobo again if you do a CPU upgrade and you also won't need to fresh reinstall Windows. 
tongue_smile.gif

DDR4 is supported on both platforms so unless you have some old DDR3 to reuse, get DDR4 @ 2666 MHz CL 16/15. Seems to be the sweet spot right now in terms of value/performance. 32GB of RAM is a good choice for saving time and general convenience if you have a decent amount of prerenders, previews and history saved to your RAM during editing. 16GB is okay, but it makes me angry sometimes when I have a few Chrome tabs, Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere open and all 16GB is gone within a second of preview... 
mad.gif

Unless you are planning to do something like super hardcore overclocking, I think the H100i is overkill and not to mention generally louder than air coolers. Something like a NH-D14 or NH-D15 would be better value (cheaper) while still providing quite close performance as well as being quieter both at idle and while under load. 

Also the monitor you chose is only 1440p. Though admittedly a very good choice for gaming and graphic work with a 144hz IPS panel and 100% sRGB. If you do video work, you might want to futureproof yourself with a 4k one instead since it's going to become the new standard, like it or not (as evidenced by TV's). Also, there are many 4k monitors available at that same 27" size you chose, so you'll get significantly improved benefit pixel per inch density at 27" with 4k instead of 1440p which is a lot better looking in my opinion. 
wink.gif

Personally, 1440p at 27" doesn't really look that good for me at least, unless you sit quite far from your monitor for it to be, as Apple calls it "Retina

If you are considering 4k, you might as well wait like a month or two for the new Nvidia Pascal cards to come out which will be faster and have more VRAM for 4k and editing purposes. Otherwise, I'd recommend no lower than a GTX 980 (TI is preferred). 
smile.gif

Besides, the GTX 970 actually has only 3.5GB of usable VRAM instead of 4GB, if you haven't already heard of the "Nvidia scandal" yet lol.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #8,901 of 9,120
DDR4 is supported on both platforms so unless you have some old DDR3 to reuse, get DDR4 @ 2666 MHz CL 16/15. Seems to be the sweet spot right now in terms of value/performance. 32GB of RAM is a good choice for saving time and general convenience if you have a decent amount of prerenders, previews and history saved to your RAM during editing. 16GB is okay, but it makes me angry sometimes when I have a few Chrome tabs, Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere open and all 16GB is gone within a second of preview... :mad:

Also the monitor you chose is only 1440p. Though admittedly a very good choice for gaming and graphic work with a 144hz IPS panel and 100% sRGB. If you do video work, you might want to futureproof yourself with a 4k one instead since it's going to become the new standard, like it or not (as evidenced by TV's). Also, there are many 4k monitors available at that same 27" size you chose, so you'll get significantly improved benefit pixel per inch density at 27" with 4k instead of 1440p which is a lot better looking in my opinion. :wink:

Personally, 1440p at 27" doesn't really look that good for me at least, unless you sit quite far from your monitor for it to be, as Apple calls it "Retina[COLOR=222222]™[/COLOR]" 

If you are considering 4k, you might as well wait like a month or two for the new Nvidia Pascal cards to come out which will be faster and have more VRAM for 4k and editing purposes. Otherwise, I'd recommend no lower than a GTX 980 (TI is preferred). :smile:  

Besides, the GTX 970 actually has only 3.5GB of usable VRAM instead of 4GB, if you haven't already heard of the "Nvidia scandal" yet lol.

Yeah actually since I posted that I preferred to go with the 5820K, GTX 980 and an X99 Sabertooth, I could overclock the CPU to match the 6700K (that's the reason for the H100i) while still having my 6 cores for editing. I use Premiere, Photoshop, Logic, Ableton Live. So pretty RAM hungry programs, hence the 32GB. I actually don't mind much about 4K, at least not for now since I've never seen one, ignorance is bliss. Besides, I did look into it and found no monitors with the same refresh rate and response time that weren't ultrawide, curved and $1300. That Asus seems to have the best of both worlds, IPS and 27 inch for editing, and 144hz with 4ms for gaming. 27 inches is not a problem for me, I'm used to editing on a 13" Macbook Air, now that's a burden...

GPU : GTX970 is not enough for all games at fullhd, and not enough for most games at 4K. You should take into account this fact, as
GTX980 is sometimes just a bit more expensive, and having OC int he name of the GPU is not great. Some of them are over-volted and will throttle, so best thing is to buy a normal GTX980 if money permits. I see that you are getting a 1440 screen, so you could feel GTX970 a bit under powered, depending on game and game settings. 

RAM : 32 GB of DDR4 should be enough for most scenarios, but I think that you can live with 16 GB too, depending on what software you use, and for what. 32GB is useful for some programs, especially photo editing, if you edit very large photos. AFAIK video editing will always use a scratch disk. 

I would recommend Mad Catz RAT PRO X as a mouse, because I have been using it for a while now, and I find it the best mouse ever created. Totally satisfied. If there is one downside to it, it needs cleaning once a few days, because some of the texture catches dirt, but it comes with a small brush, and the entire operation takes 1 minute. 

GTX 980 Ti it is :) And like I just said above, "I use Premiere, Photoshop, Logic, Ableton Live. So pretty RAM hungry programs, hence the 32GB." That mouse is a bit too expensive for me right now, maybe later I could upgrade.

[/quote]
PC build is fine, I'd get more storage for video editing and a bigger SSD...256GB might seem like a lot, but it's tiny and 2TB is gonna fill up very quick. If you have to drop from the 2011 to do so, I would, if you overclock the 6700K it'll be more than fast enough unless you're really planning to hammer it hard in editing.

RAM, no reason not to go DDR4, DDR3 is old tech and price isn't very different.

GPU, the 980 + 6700K would be better for gaming, especially at the native res of the monitor you chose. But for video editing the 970 + 5820K is better. Your choice.

Keyboard...unless you really want the pointless as screw RGB lighting you can just get the version with a single colour...or any other mechy keyboard with backlighting.

Audio. Needs more Orpheus 2.

You're right on the keyboard, I actually was looking for the white led K95. 2TB is too little for you? I think it's way too much. I don't edit video every single day, and it's 1080p footage most of the time. And a 256GB just for Windows and programs isn't enough either? Oh wait, I forgot games... 512 gigs then?

I'm also not building this right now, probably in the next 3 months, so I still have time to wait for new releases and change some stuff around.
Final setup for now would be:

CPU: i7 5820K Six-core Haswell LGA 2011-v3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti 6GB
MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
COOLING: Corsair Hydro H100i Extreme 240mm Liquid Cooler

Peripherals:

MONITOR: ASUS MG279Q Black 27" 144 Hz 4ms (GTG) WQHD Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED IPS Panel
KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 Keyboard with white led (this is the one I wanted and couldn't find, that's why I picked the RGB)
MOUSE: Any Logitech mouse around $70, can't afford a $200 one for now

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #8,902 of 9,120

Peripherals:

For the record, a first time build I never recommend extremely expensive builds. The first build should be always be semi-cheap so that you can screw around and stuff, then for your second build you will be armed with that experience and be able to screw up less on that build, where many more shechkles are on the line. Just saying.

Also don't get the K70 RGB, it's pointless, get something better.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #8,903 of 9,120
Yeah actually since I posted that I preferred to go with the 5820K, GTX 980 and an X99 Sabertooth, I could overclock the CPU to match the 6700K (that's the reason for the H100i) while still having my 6 cores for editing. I use Premiere, Photoshop, Logic, Ableton Live. So pretty RAM hungry programs, hence the 32GB. I actually don't mind much about 4K, at least not for now since I've never seen one, ignorance is bliss. Besides, I did look into it and found no monitors with the same refresh rate and response time that weren't ultrawide, curved and $1300. That Asus seems to have the best of both worlds, IPS and 27 inch for editing, and 144hz with 4ms for gaming. 27 inches is not a problem for me, I'm used to editing on a 13" Macbook Air, now that's a burden...

I'm also not building this right now, probably in the next 3 months, so I still have time to wait for new releases and change some stuff around.

Peripherals:

MONITOR: ASUS MG279Q Black 27" 144 Hz 4ms (GTG) WQHD Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED IPS Panel
KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 Keyboard with white led (this is the one I wanted and couldn't find, that's why I picked the RGB)

I seriously hope you wait for Nvidia and AMD's next generation of cards to release in the next 2 months before you commit. That way, you'll get a better deal on a GTX 980ti on its way out, or a next generation card that outclasses it in every way at the same price. 
biggrin.gif

Also, if you want to try a 4k monitor, just go to your local store and buy one to try it out. No harm done if there's a return policy where you can refund it later without restocking fees if you find 4k isn't for you... Likewise, I also recommend buying monitors from your local store if you can. Quality control of most monitors above 1080p is not what most people expect.

It's not uncommon to buy from an online retailer and have them not offer any refunds or exchanges without restocking fees because the monitor had one dead pixel, which I find is highly unacceptable. Whereas at a local computer/electronics dealer, you can make use of the generous quick return or exchange policy without waiting. 
rolleyes.gif

Just an opinion, but I personally think mechanical keyboards have a reputation that's a bit too overrated for what they are: excessively noisy, expensive, chunky, and heavy/impractical. So unless you treat your keyboard like a warzone and your fingers are like jackhammers (or you're a hipster who likes the novelty typewriter experience lol), you'd be fine with a quality slim membrane or even other types of gaming keyboards.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #8,904 of 9,120

I seriously hope you wait for Nvidia and AMD's next generation of cards to release in the next 2 months before you commit. That way, you'll get a better deal on a GTX 980ti on its way out, or a next generation card that outclasses it in every way at the same price. 
biggrin.gif

Also, if you want to try a 4k monitor, just go to your local store and buy one to try it out. No harm done if there's a return policy where you can refund it later without restocking fees if you find 4k isn't for you... Likewise, I also recommend buying monitors from your local store if you can. Quality control of most monitors above 1080p is not what most people expect.

It's not uncommon to buy from an online retailer and have them not offer any refunds or exchanges without restocking fees because the monitor had one dead pixel, which I find is highly unacceptable. Whereas at a local computer/electronics dealer, you can make use of the generous quick return or exchange policy without waiting. 
rolleyes.gif

Just an opinion, but I personally think mechanical keyboards have a reputation that's a bit too overrated for what they are: excessively noisy, expensive, chunky, and heavy/impractical. So unless you treat your keyboard like a warzone and your fingers are like jackhammers (or you're a hipster who likes the novelty typewriter experience lol), you'd be fine with a quality slim membrane or even other types of gaming keyboards.

I totally feel up for your statements. 

I am using a Natec Genesis RX33 keyboard because I hate typing noise, as it really distracts me from music. Though I do not really hear fans noise, I do hear typing noise through all my headphones, and it really breaks my enjoyment in music. 

Also, one dead pixel, is like the entire display is worthless. This is actually my biggest fear when buying a P870, because the local reseller told me that unless 3 pixels are dead, he will not change it, nor will test before sending, while HIDevolution from America will test against dead pixels, and against screen bleeding before sending laptop, and they offer 1 year insurance against dead pixels. This is a great deal to me. Sadly, I had not ordered from them before, or from outside of Romania, and I am a bit afraid to do so, but having no dead pixels is way too important to ignore. Still, I know no one who ordered from HIDevolution, and besides Phoenix from NBR, I do not see anyone reviewing their services relative to other companies. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,905 of 9,120
I think the degree of dead pixel tolerance the industry has adapted is really stupid. It seems like borderline abuse against people's investments... Any amount of dead/permanently stuck pixels should be considered a manufacturing defect and therefore a defective product, allowed to be exchanged at least.

If the smartphone industry already runs basic quality control and does not sell any smartphones with any dead pixels, then why should any other displays be different? 
frown.gif

...It's kind of like how legal terms documents are infused with excessive jargon to confuse customers and make them liable for everything that happens because their terms were too vague and obscure behind unintelligible language to begin with. But welcome to the real world I guess....

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,906 of 9,120

Peripherals:

I seriously hope you wait for Nvidia and AMD's next generation of cards to release in the next 2 months before you commit. That way, you'll get a better deal on a GTX 980ti on its way out, or a next generation card that outclasses it in every way at the same price. :D

It's not uncommon to buy from an online retailer and have them not offer any refunds or exchanges without restocking fees because the monitor had one dead pixel, which I find is highly unacceptable. Whereas at a local computer/electronics dealer, you can make use of the generous quick return or exchange policy without waiting. :rolleyes:

I'll definitely wait for Nvidia and their new cards. My biggest problem is (I don't know if I already said this here, maybe it was reddit) I live in Guayaquil, Ecuador. So, barely any or no 4K monitors, which are obviously double the msrp. So that way is closed.

Mechanical keyboards may not be perfect, and I never buy into those gaming myths and placebo effects but I certainly dislike membrane keyboards.

I remember my grandfather having one of these and when I went over to his place I loved typing on it. 8 year old me also enjoyed playing CS 1.6... I fell in love with mechanical keyboards basically.

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #8,907 of 9,120
  I think the degree of dead pixel tolerance the industry has adapted is really stupid. It seems like borderline abuse against people's investments... Any amount of dead/permanently stuck pixels should be considered a manufacturing defect and therefore a defective product, allowed to be exchanged at least.

If the smartphone industry already runs basic quality control and does not sell any smartphones with any dead pixels, then why should any other displays be different? 
frown.gif

...It's kind of like how legal terms documents are infused with excessive jargon to confuse customers and make them liable for everything that happens because their terms were too vague and obscure behind unintelligible language to begin with. But welcome to the real world I guess....

This is where HIDevolution comes in. It seems that everything that you buy from them, you can add a zero dead pixel insurance, so... yeah. They actually check before sending product to you. 

I never had a dead pixel on a screen, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I always thought that companies should also have tighter screen bleeding tests. I do not personally have it, but in Romania, there were lots of Asus batches of laptops, with bad bleeding. And it was fairly visible too. Stores selling them actually replaced them, and helped customers, but Asus should had checked those before sending. 

Quality is actually so bad in some batches that you get to see missing screws or misplaced screws with Asus, so I decided to stay clear off them until they fix that. 

I'll definitely wait for Nvidia and their new cards. My biggest problem is (I don't know if I already said this here, maybe it was reddit) I live in Guayaquil, Ecuador. So, barely any or no 4K monitors, which are obviously double the msrp. So that way is closed.

Mechanical keyboards may not be perfect, and I never buy into those gaming myths and placebo effects but I certainly dislike membrane keyboards.

I remember my grandfather having one of these and when I went over to his place I loved typing on it. 8 year old me also enjoyed playing CS 1.6... I fell in love with mechanical keyboards basically.

Those heavy, like 1.2KG heavy, noisy and hard key keyboards 
biggrin.gif

Personally, I find slim and silent keyboards better for my typing style and speed, but I would not kick a mechanical keyboard either. Just not invest in one right now, as I have better writting speed on slim keyboards for one reason or another (Maybe because I only had slim kb for the last 5 years).

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #8,908 of 9,120
I know a few system builders that offer dead pixel protection... but it's always a reseller thing and never the manufacturers themselves (the greed is real lol)

Unlike dead or stuck pixels, screen backlight bleeding is kinda normal to have on an IPS or PLS display from the edges (but as long as it's not too much and only visible while displaying black) because it's an inherent trait of the technology. If the display enclosures themselves were perfectly constructed, the display perfectly flat and not bent or clipped in any way, backlight bleeding wouldn't happen but that might be asking too much. Other display types such as TN and VA panels shouldn't have bleeding at all on the other hand. 
wink_face.gif

I find that I type faster with laptop-like keyboards as well, though probably less accurately! The short keypress-travel-distance and instant rebound from the light keys definitely helps this. Not to mention the lighter pressures needed for a single keystroke can translate into more efficient typing (faster) and less fatigue over time. But really, it's whatever you are used to. Membrane keyboards might wear down slightly over several years of hard use but mechanicals are practically indestructible. 
smile.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #8,909 of 9,120
We ever talk about phones here? I'm in the market to replace my M7, and mi parents said they may be getting me a S7, but knowing Samsung and T-Mobile, it's gonna have a schiit ton of bloatware. Should I CyanogenMod it? I know it's probably much more unstable than just stock Android, but it cleans up the phone down to the bones.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #8,910 of 9,120
We ever talk about phones here? I'm in the market to replace my M7, and mi parents said they may be getting me a S7, but knowing Samsung and T-Mobile, it's gonna have a schiit ton of bloatware. Should I CyanogenMod it? I know it's probably much more unstable than just stock Android, but it cleans up the phone down to the bones.

Why not note series? They might provide better performance and are not so full of bloatware. This if you like the bigger screen. 

I think that there are threads dedicated to smartphones, and I was part of one until getting my htx820 and being happy with it. We even getting latest Android on it. I would continue HTC mid end smartphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back