PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,786 of 9,120
Quote:
You'll be lucky to get an extra 15mhz fsb speed. Pick up a cheap AMD or old intel core duo if you want some cheap fsb overclocking fun.

Actually, I was able to get an extra 33mhz bus speed and increase my multiplier by 6... I increased my bus speed by 4mhz and my multipler by 6, increased my voltage by .015 for stability. So here's my CPU-Z Validation of my stable 4.05ghz system!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2803519

I also did 10 passes of IntelBurn, to verify stability. I plan to go for 20 as soon as I clean my pc inside an out. As I know my fans are a little dustyier than they should b. 

May 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,787 of 9,120
Actually, I was able to get an extra 33mhz bus speed and increase my multiplier by 6... I increased my bus speed by 4mhz and my multipler by 6, increased my voltage by .015 for stability. So here's my CPU-Z Validation of my stable 4.05ghz system!

Why didn't you get the 3550K? It would have been pretty easy to get to 4.3 or 4.4ghz, and it's not too much more money IIRC.

Still, 4ghz is more than good enough for normal use, really.

May 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,789 of 9,120
Quote:
3570K at Microcenter for $170 + $40 off / Free Motherboard is a great way to go.

yea in retrospect I should have done it.

I will mention to the 4.05 ghz OC i did wasn't even stable... I blame the dust in my machine and my stock cooler. It never bsod [an I ran 34 runs on intel burn] but IntelBurn feed my an error a few times, then closed it self due to instablility. 

So I'm going to get a aftermarket cooler, some more case fans and clean her out then try again! 

May 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,790 of 9,120
3570K at Microcenter for $170 + $40 off / Free Motherboard is a great way to go.

Sheesh, you guys got it good over there, the 3570K is $234 here.

Still, a drop in the ocean compared to the $900 Athlon X2 4200 I had 8 years ago. I think I had an ATI X800 too, and what a great BF2 rig that was, especially with the Dell 2405, which was a whopping $1300 at the time.

Computers are so cheap nowadays, I'm still baffled on how you can get a pretty good gaming rig for <$1.5k.

May 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,791 of 9,120

I will mention to the 4.05 ghz OC i did wasn't even stable... I blame the dust in my machine and my stock cooler. It never bsod [an I ran 34 runs on intel burn] but IntelBurn feed my an error a few times, then closed it self due to instablility. 

So I'm going to get a aftermarket cooler, some more case fans and clean her out then try again! 

FSB overclocking is a no no on Ivy Bridge, that's not how it's meant to be done. There's really not much point in spending time to tweak a non K chip.

I'd just max out the multiplier and be done with it, you should be able to get 3.9ghz I think.

Don't lose any sleep (and money for a new cooler) over a few hundred mhz, it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

May 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,792 of 9,120
Quote:

Still, a drop in the ocean compared to the $900 Athlon X2 4200 I had 8 years ago. I think I had an ATI X800 too, and what a great BF2 rig that was, especially with the Dell 2405, which was a whopping $1300 at the time.

Computers are so cheap nowadays, I'm still baffled on how you can get a pretty good gaming rig for <$1.5k.

Indeed, and it's only going to get cheaper and cheaper. My rig is a year old now and the money I paid for it... could get me something 2x as good [seriously] Oh well, hopefully I can OC her to 4.1ghz then sell her off to some one for what I paid. And build a new rig before 2014! 

May 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,793 of 9,120
Quote:

Stock coolers aren't that great, and honestly I'd rather use overclocking as a last resort.  I don't think you can go wrong with a CM Hyper 212+ EVO for $20-$24.  Replace the included fan as it tends to get loud (if that is an issue for you), having 2 enermax fans + AS5 keeps my 955 plenty cool.
Quote:

Microcenter has the best intel deals hands down, other companies sell for ~$230.  I don't have the backbone to spend that much on a PC :D

May 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #1,794 of 9,120
Quote:
Stock coolers aren't that great, and honestly I'd rather use overclocking as a last resort.  I don't think you can go wrong with a CM Hyper 212+ EVO for $20-$24.  Replace the included fan as it tends to get loud (if that is an issue for you), having 2 enermax fans + AS5 keeps my 955 plenty cool.
Microcenter has the best intel deals hands down, other companies sell for ~$230.  I don't have the backbone to spend that much on a PC :D

agree'd but you can't get shipping thorugh Mirco can u, I don't live near one sadly.

And yea noise isn;t an issue for me thankfully. I fun a air filter next to my pc to help with alergies so I'm used to drowning out the noise. I'll look into it for sure!

ZALMAN ZM - F3 120mm Case Cooling Fan was also recommended to me for new case fans! 

Tips for applying thermal to the Copper Pipes? 

May 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,795 of 9,120
Quote:
agree'd but you can't get shipping thorugh Mirco can u, I don't live near one sadly.

And yea noise isn;t an issue for me thankfully. I fun a air filter next to my pc to help with alergies so I'm used to drowning out the noise. I'll look into it for sure!

ZALMAN ZM - F3 120mm Case Cooling Fan was also recommended to me for new case fans! 

Tips for applying thermal to the Copper Pipes? 

Depends on the thermal paste itself really, the physical properties differ between brands.  My AS5 paste came with recommended applications for different CPUs.

I'd go for these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214030

They look very nice and work well, not to mention they are on sale.  Make a shoprunner trial and get the 2-day, they will be the same price as the Zalman.

I regularly take advantage of shoprunner's free/$1 annual memberships, if you cancel the auto-renewal and do not use shoprunner after the free trial you will not be billed.  You may be charged $1 just to test your card, disappears from your statement after a few days.

I don't know if they are superior to the Zalman, but they've worked well for me thus far.  The silent/air pushed ratio is great on the T.B

May 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,796 of 9,120
Quote:
Depends on the thermal paste itself really, the physical properties differ between brands.  My AS5 paste came with recommended applications for different CPUs.

I'd go for these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214030

They look very nice and work well, not to mention they are on sale.  Make a shoprunner trial and get the 2-day, they will be the same price as the Zalman.

I regularly take advantage of shoprunner's free/$1 annual memberships, if you cancel the auto-renewal and do not use shoprunner after the free trial you will not be billed.  You may be charged $1 just to test your card, disappears from your statement after a few days.

I don't know if they are superior to the Zalman, but they've worked well for me thus far.  The silent/air pushed ratio is great on the T.B

Well I might look into that, although it's going to be a few weeks or months b4 I get the fans. Job interview is in 4 hours, so I'm going to review some key terms and then go ship a package. 

I've actually pinned ur recommendation on fans, teh Zelmans... while poitive seems to have a lot of little problems, and no Molex Adapter... 

So the Enermax it is! My rig has a Blue LED fan so blue an pink might look neat [or I might replace that fan] 

May 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,797 of 9,120
Quote:
Well I might look into that, although it's going to be a few weeks or months b4 I get the fans. Job interview is in 4 hours, so I'm going to review some key terms and then go ship a package. 

I've actually pinned ur recommendation on fans, teh Zelmans... while poitive seems to have a lot of little problems, and no Molex Adapter... 

So the Enermax it is! My rig has a Blue LED fan so blue an pink might look neat [or I might replace that fan] 

You have plenty of time then, you might catch the $8 cougar fan deal that happened a couple of times this year.

Molex is not friendly for most fan controllers, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998100&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Controller+Panels-_-N82E16811998100&gclid=CJX1l6HxmLcCFcNa4AodfQgAPw

I don't the quality on that one but 6 channels for $23 is a great price!  Sometimes you won't need to have them at full speed.  I often need to lower mine when my HDD gets ~10C lol.

The Enermax also has Blue LED variants, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214029

They cost $2 extra, so if you're getting more than a few I'd replace the old fan.

May 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,798 of 9,120
I'm using an NZXT Sentry LX for my fan control, cracking little thing with 6 channels and masses of power incase you want to run 5400rpm deltas. Prior to that I used a mCubed T-balancer, which was just too much effort to set up. I'm a fan of the Silverstone APs, Sharkoon Silent eagles and ol'reliable the Yate Loon DSL12.

May 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,799 of 9,120
Quote:
I'm using an NZXT Sentry LX for my fan control, cracking little thing with 6 channels and masses of power incase you want to run 5400rpm deltas. Prior to that I used a mCubed T-balancer, which was just too much effort to set up. I'm a fan of the Silverstone APs, Sharkoon Silent eagles and ol'reliable the Yate Loon DSL12.

You didn't have any issues with the probes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back