PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 4, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #9,107 of 9,120
Dell Inspiron 530s upgrade from 2007 GPU to 2017 GPU (Radeon 2400 XT to GT 1030)

B86E46B1-524A-4A15-87FD-ED9CEAA4C1FE.jpegC1E718BF-FEDB-452D-A488-89A70C10D2B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #9,109 of 9,120
Windows 11 just dropped. Thoughts?

I'm mildly interested; the improved HDR handling and Auto-HDR is what's most exciting to me. I'm hoping SDR content will be properly tone mapped when in HDR mode, because switching it on and off is really starting to get on my nerves. It keeps me from playing most of my games in HDR, which has become somewhat of a game changer to me.

New UI design is nice; I always hated the flat, dull look of Win 10. Especially coming from Win 7 it felt like a huge step down. The centered task bar doesn't thrill me, though. I'm hoping you can switch to a more classic layout. (I think I might have heard you can?)

It seems a lot of the big changes are focused at laptops and tablets, which I really could not care less about. On the whole, though, Win 11 seems alright. I'll be curious to see how it changes in the next year or two. I'm not rushing to upgrade, since I just reinstalled Windows late last year, and I absolutely can't stand setting up Windows; to get everything the way I like it takes days and is immensely tedious.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #9,110 of 9,120
I'm mildly interested; the improved HDR handling and Auto-HDR is what's most exciting to me. I'm hoping SDR content will be properly tone mapped when in HDR mode, because switching it on and off is really starting to get on my nerves. It keeps me from playing most of my games in HDR, which has become somewhat of a game changer to me.

New UI design is nice; I always hated the flat, dull look of Win 10. Especially coming from Win 7 it felt like a huge step down. The centered task bar doesn't thrill me, though. I'm hoping you can switch to a more classic layout. (I think I might have heard you can?)

It seems a lot of the big changes are focused at laptops and tablets, which I really could not care less about. On the whole, though, Win 11 seems alright. I'll be curious to see how it changes in the next year or two. I'm not rushing to upgrade, since I just reinstalled Windows late last year, and I absolutely can't stand setting up Windows; to get everything the way I like it takes days and is immensely tedious.
I can't wait to see a redesigned diskmgmt.msc

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #9,112 of 9,120
Totally forgot this thread existed, after nearly a year I think it deserves a bump.

Recently picked up one of these bad boys. My 6TB HDD seemed to be going out, so I figured I'd rid my computer of such an ancient relic and get the spinning rust out. Didn't need anything super high performance, so this SSD was perfect for me.
20220409_182818.jpg

Probably going to be the last bit of money I spend on my computer for a while. Recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5950x, my GPU to a 3080ti, and replaced some bad RAM with quality stuff. My PSU is beastly, and all my NVMe slots are populated, so there's really not much left I COULD get.

This here puts me at over 8TB of SSD storage, then I have my NAS with 20TB of HDDs. I should be good on space for a while. :smirk:

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #9,113 of 9,120
Totally forgot this thread existed, after nearly a year I think it deserves a bump.

Recently picked up one of these bad boys. My 6TB HDD seemed to be going out, so I figured I'd rid my computer of such an ancient relic and get the spinning rust out. Didn't need anything super high performance, so this SSD was perfect for me.

Probably going to be the last bit of money I spend on my computer for a while. Recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5950x, my GPU to a 3080ti, and replaced some bad RAM with quality stuff. My PSU is beastly, and all my NVMe slots are populated, so there's really not much left I COULD get.

This here puts me at over 8TB of SSD storage, then I have my NAS with 20TB of HDDs. I should be good on space for a while. :smirk:

I recently got an 8TB hard drive to back up my NAS so I can drop down from RAID 1 to RAID 0. Decided to live life on the edge for a bit

IMG_0809 2.jpeg

Then once the backup job is done, I'll add the 3TB HDD that was previously installed in the above enclosure in my PC for a total of 10TB of HDD space + 500GB SSD. I should probably use an AC power meter to measure how much the PC is pulling from the wall, just to get an idea of whether the current 650W needs upgrading. I'm still sticking with the RX480 until I can get my next GPU at or below MSRP.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #9,114 of 9,120
Oh yeah, I've been rolling with no redundancy myself, so when my data is gone, it's gone. lol

The upside is I'm running ZFS, which I've heard is very stable, and to this day has reported no read or write errors on any of my HDDs.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #9,116 of 9,120
I have a 14 TB Toshiba HDD which mirrors to one 8 TB WD RED and one 10 TB WD External USB HDD for redundancy, wouldn't trust those HDDs for no redundancy

I definitely don't trust HDDs either, but all the data I'm hording is just movies I ripped from blu rays I own. If my HDDs fail I'm not techincally losing any data, just time spent ripping the blu rays. Hah.

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #9,117 of 9,120
I definitely don't trust HDDs either, but all the data I'm hording is just movies I ripped from blu rays I own. If my HDDs fail I'm not techincally losing any data, just time spent ripping the blu rays. Hah.

Oh, then you're set to go :)

Most of my data is actually important, photos, memories, music ripped from CDs, and work files. Especially music is a sensitive thing, because some of the CDs are over 10 years old now and I fear some of them might skip next time I try to read what's on them :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #9,118 of 9,120
OK so instead of going the RAID 0 route (data striping, eek), I've set up the disks to just be individual volumes. Seems like I can allocate separate network shares as per usual anyway so usability-wise it's not gonna make a huge difference.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #9,119 of 9,120
So I skimmed through the Snapdragon Summit, looks like Qualcomm is having their Apple Silicon moment:

snapdragon-x-elite-vs-intel-h.png
snapdragon-x-elite-gpu-perf-claim-v-intel.jpg

leonardo-dicaprio-rick-dalton.gif

Apple_m1-chip-cpu-power-chart_11102020_big.jpg.large.jpg

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #9,120 of 9,120
I never made the transition from an avid console gamer to any interest whatsoever in PC gaming. I have a PS2 plugged in I haven't played a game on in 2 years (and yes, I know it's aq vampire,) and only play Tower Defense on my phone.,

I have all vintage Thinkpads and three Chromebooks, two of which run Kali Linux. No gaming or overclocking to be seen there, move alone...I no longer run 5 laptops at once, keep things updated to the latest 15 mins checked , just passed 2 years on a Kali GNU/Linux build using rolling updates and within the hour will rebuild my multimedia machine Free13.0to run FreeBSD 13.2.

I have little love left for the computer community after promoting/supporting FreeBSD/PC-BSD for 17 years, being ghosted by ooth platforms, unsuccessfuly, and the FreeSD Project stealing, yea, I said Thieves, my Copyrighted tutorials in broad daylight And not one word saiud by anyone on my behal but Google and they're catcaqboosers.

son_of_beastie_by_trihexagonal.jpg

Beastie the FreeBSD Daemon was abandoned and declared Trihexagonal to be his one true Daemon offspring in that traitorous group of redheaded stepchildren.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back