PC 192/24 Coax-out card
Jul 17, 2011 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MarioImpemba

100+ Head-Fier
I know this has been done to death, but I'm still reading conflicting info both on here and via google regarding whether certain soundcards truly pass bit-perfect or not (and also no recent discussion - maybe because of the current availability of USB DAC's?).

Additionally, sometimes I read about xxx brand having unreliable drivers or other issues.

What is the current easiest/cheapest way to get a bit-perfect co-ax out from a PC (provided the motherboard does not have SPDIF) soundcard, up to 192/24, to a DAC?

Which has best driver support and ease-of-use?

Which will truly be "bit perfect" without any resampling or alteration?

Really appreciate any help, as I've tried searching this for hours now on my own, lol.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
cheapest: http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/

I tried looking through those and couldn't find anything still available to purchase, and that met the 24/192 coax criteria.

Quote:
Easiest way is to use USB DAC with wasapi or asio.

Lol, I'm looking for coax to go to a DAC, not usb, but you're probably right as far as ease-of-use.

I guess does anyone know if you can get reliable, bit-perfect 24/192 co-ax out of the various Asus, M-Audio, the EMU cards or the Juli@ with drivers on XP?

Maybe I'll just use USB DAC... lol.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 5
I decided on the Juli@.

Lots of positive reviews about its ease of use and reliability, as well as available ASIO support.

Read too many mixed reviews about E-MU and M-Audio issues with drivers and otherwise.

Asus ST/STX not worth the considerable price premium when all I want is the coax digital out.

Doesn't appear to be any other 192/24 soundcard options out there - at least cheaper/easier.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back