Paypal question for transactions via head-fi
Dec 8, 2011 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

afobisme

500+ Head-Fier
So I have a question.. when someone pays for an item, do they use the "gift" option to avoid paypal fees? I don't really think paypal would really protect the buyer much, even if the transaction were really a purchase on head-fi... so what's the point?

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
So I have a question.. when someone pays for an item, do they use the "gift" option to avoid paypal fees? I don't really think paypal would really protect the buyer much, even if the transaction were really a purchase on head-fi... so what's the point?

I see a couple of points. 
Firstly the lack of Paypal support is an assumption on your behalf, not necessarily a fact.
Secondly, it isn't a gift is it, it is a purchase of goods, so you would be lying.
Thirdly, Paypal provides an excellent service, secure, quick and easy, and if no-one contributes to Paypal's operational cost and profit, then the service ultimately folds or has to charge in other areas, or removes the gift option altogether for people who legitimately use it to gift money.

But hey, it is a free society, so purchase away using "gift" and good luck. 

EDIT: And this thread doesn't belong here.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 8
You will not be paypal protected , not only in head-fi but in other sites as well
when you use the gift options.
However I noted that on several occasions purchasing items on head-fi or even audiogon,
the seller expected us to use the gift options.   I refused to do that because I would not be
protected and if the price was right I would offer to pay the paypal fee myself.
In rare occasions when purchasing from a very reliable seller in head-fi with very high priced items
and paying the paypal fee might cost a lot I would use the money transfer

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 8
BEst way to do is if someone send you or you send someone an invoice that way you have a record of what's being bought howmuch it costs all kinds of things. I'm not sure about policies of protection but having those records would certainly help in any situation.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 8
do u get protection through money transfer?
    No protection at all for money transfer, money order
so we have to be very careful,  if not confident  please avoid

BEst way to do is if someone send you or you send someone an invoice that way you have
a record of what's being bought howmuch it costs all kinds of things
     I agree that asking the seller to send the paypal invoice with the above details is a very good precautionary measure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back