Pawn Shop Find: how to determine if speakers are blown
Jun 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

velingara

New Head-Fier
I found some decent speakers at a pawn shop at a great price- Polk RTi4 and RTi6. About $100 for the i4 pair- they have great reviews and went for around $360 a few years back.

They are hooked up to a cheap receiver- how can I tell if they are blown or damaged- what should I look for? They are in good cosmetic shape- a few scapes but nothing that bothers me. These will be used for near field listening on my desk.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found some decent speakers at a pawn shop at a great price- Polk RTi4 and RTi6. About $100 for the i4 pair- they have great reviews and went for around $360 a few years back.

They are hooked up to a cheap receiver- how can I tell if they are blown or damaged- what should I look for? They are in good cosmetic shape- a few scapes but nothing that bothers me. These will be used for near field listening on my desk.

Just listen to them; play some bass-heavy songs as well as some with clear highs; if they both sound OK, they're not blown.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just listen to them; play some bass-heavy songs as well as some with clear highs; if they both sound OK, they're not blown.

x2 a blown speaker will be painfully obvious. As for damage, look for any cracks or spots were wood broke and was repaired. Good luck!

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Play some steady low frequency tones or sweeps. They'll reveal any unwanted resonances, even when the woofers themselves haven't blown. Tweeters usually work or don't, so if they appear to be playing with normal music, they're probably fine.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 9
i wouldnt go pushing in the woofer just in case...thats just me though..

Trust me you will notice if their blown...there will be cracking type sound coming from them. It kinda sounds like if you listened to a speaker with your finger holding the woofer, tinny and scratchy would be the best way to describe it.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Listen to them. With varied music and intensity.
If you hear no scratching/cracking then they are most probably not blown.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 9
thanks for the help everyone- I'm going to keep my existing Infinity Entras and concentrate on upgrading my amp and headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back