PAV2 vs. Xmoy2 (Redundancy Warning)
Oct 4, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm leaning towards the PAV2 now...

Oct 4, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon
Well, I can tell you that everything sounds better - much better - on my PAV2. I'd say stay away from the CMOY2 if noticible improvement is only heard on some tracks.
rolleyes.gif

Actually it depends on a lot more things than just the amp what to know the differences are that you hear.
Firts of all I understand that the PAV2 is a somewhat colored amp that gives extra bass. A more neutral amp won't change the sound as much because the soundsignature won't change as much.
Another very important thing is the source. If the source sounds good already that an amp will only improve things slightly (I'm talking about less pricy portable amps). While with a source that is somehow lacking an amp can make much more of a difference.
I have had this experiance myself with my MINT. With one source the sound was simply a bit more refined while with the other the complete lack of bass and the harsh sound was gone.
And of course headphones. Some benefit little, others benefit a lot.

So saying one amp is better than another when based on two different setups used with it, and not to mentioned two different pairs of ears, isn't exactly fair.

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
So saying one amp is better than another when based on two different setups used with it, and not to mentioned two different pairs of ears, isn't exactly fair.

I was replying to CSMV who stated that he couldn't hear a difference all the time between the Xmoy2 and directly into the source. I even included CSMV's quote saying this. I was stating that the PAV2 is much better than than listening to headphones directly with a (portable) source.

And yes Andrea, the Zeraudiocraft amp is definitely a fine amp, too. To me, its signature very much resembles the PAV2.

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon
I was replying to CSMV who stated that he couldn't hear a difference all the time between the Xmoy2 and directly into the source. I even included CSMV's quote saying this. I was stating that the PAV2 is much better than than listening to headphones directly with a (portable) source.

And I was saying that one experiance with one (or at least a limited amount of) portable source(s) doesn't necessarily say a lot about what amp is better when you haven't heard the other amp and there's only one impression of it so far.

As I said I have a MINT amp.
Tried it with two portable CDplayers. With one there was just a marginal difference, especially when my ears were still untrained and with the other PCDP the improvement was a LOT.

I apologize if I understood you wrong when you said that people should stay away from the Xmoy2 because your amp gave a noticeable improvement with your ears and equipment and the Xmoy didn't as much according to someone else with other ears and equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I apologize if I understood you wrong when you said that people should stay away from the Xmoy2 because your amp gave a noticeable improvement with your ears and equipment and the Xmoy didn't as much according to someone else with other ears and equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Accepted.
plainface.gif

My feeling is the same. If a product that is intended to improve the audio of your device does not improve it on a substantial basis, which it does not seem to do with CSMV's setup, then I would choose something else. Wouldn't you?

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #23 of 25
After this thread I also got curious and did some intense A-Bings
and experimented swapping around with various combinations.

Now I can feel that I got significantly better in picking up the differences
than the first time I listened to it.

To my surprise, etys seem to benefit much more from the amp than
the SA3K does, especially with the crossfeed. I simply assumed that
an amp wouldn't do much good to er4p and didnt give it a try before.

Or maybe it's because I had the etys for more than a year,
compared to less than 2 weeks with SA3Ks
etysmile.gif

Either way, I can hear that when the amp is in the mix, it tightens
up the sound into a focus that it feels much more real to my ears.

This also lets me enjoy the music at a significantly lower volume,
which is crucial since my ears are rather sensitive and experience
fatigue pretty easily.

I use the crossfeed function a lot, and it is often very helpful,
but there are definitely some tracks that are better off without it.
(I think it consumes the battery faster too)

I can post more impressions as I get along with this amp,
but there's also a head-fier in Israel who orderd one a week ago too.
Since it says 12-day int. shipping on their website you're expecting
other feedbacks pretty soon as well... So it shouldn't be a bad idea
to wait for some more info on this
cool.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 25
Probably a full review... Along with my E4's which I never let out of my sight, because of my PX200 Incident.

I'll stick around and wait for the info.

Thanks so far CSMV.

Oct 9, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #25 of 25
OMG what a fool I was...

I discovered that I've left the stupid BBE effect ON all the time,
turned it off, and now the music sounds much better.

Too bad I've already done so much listening that my ears cannot
stand 5 more minutes of constant music... Now I'm burning in my
cans all day and picking it up to check from time to time but
this is a significant improvement.

BTW the customer support is literally superb.

Never expected to email an inquiry on Saturday night
and get a reply in 10 minutes
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back