PATTON : General Patton - the DVD
Dec 5, 2004 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Has anyone watched this movie? I just picked it up because it was recommended by my book on "Leaders" and I watched the whole movie without getting bored. Actually - I was on the edge of my seat...

Awesome movie considering when it was made (1970)
eek.gif
The acting is mostly top notch and the real story is well transferred to the film. I am amazed at the quality of old american films ( The great escape is another that springs to mind - because I watched it last week ). Newer films are having trouble meeting the standards set by these old films. Sure - good special effects and corny one-liners are popular these days - but not with me. Movies that appeal to me have an "artsy" quality to them...not hollywood blockbusters.

Examples :-

Shindlers List
The Pianist
Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill 1/2
A Clockwork Orange
etc.

You get the picture.

Anyway - Patton's character is performed brilliantly by George C Scott. I am sucked into the character because of his performance...simply stunning...one of the best "performances" of all time IMO.

The simplicity of the storyline and the natural performances by the cast is one of the strong plus points of this film.

If you havent already watched it - please do yourself a favour...revive your american spirit and fighting spirit. This is one of the greatest motivational films of all time IMO. An entertaining History lesson as well
cool.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 13
i actually got patton and the great escape at the same time on dvd
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Patton's character is performed brilliantly by George C Scott. I am sucked into the character because of his performance...simply stunning...one of the best "performances" of all time IMO.

The simplicity of the storyline and the natural performances by the cast is one of the strong plus points of this film.

Gsferrari,
I absolutely agree. I watched this over the course of a few days in one of my high school courses and loved every minute. That performance has stuck with me and even in reflection it impresses me. (To the point where i can't help but think of Scott as Patton as I watch Dr. Strangelove
tongue.gif
)

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Patton is one of my all time favorite films. I remember seeing it in the theater when it was released - outstanding. In my mind, George C Scott is Patton.

I second the recommendation re Lawrence of Arabia. It is another outstanding film. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Thanks for the tip...I will rent that film today along with "Pappilon"

Ditto on Lawrence of Arbia. I can't think of Lawrence without picturing Peter O'Toole.

Pappilon is going to depress you for awhile.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
Some buddies of mine and I started a "WFC" - war film club.

Be sure to get some movie realized by Pierre Schoendoerffer. He has probably done a few of the truly outstanding war movies, by keeping them simple. He's used to that, he was a photographer in the french army during the Indochinese war. He's done a documentary called "The Anderson Platoon" about the US Vietnam war too, receiving an oscar for it. But its masterpiece is probably Dien Bien Phu, a more recent movie (1990 iirc). No idea if it is available anywhere anymore
frown.gif
It also has one of the best soundtrack of George Delerue. Well, probably one of the best soundtracks ever. The 317th platoon is also nice.

Back to Patton. Great movie indeed. Probably my favored movie as a teen. Yeah, I know.
wink.gif
Patton is probably the only true cavalry officer of the war. He was an excellent horse rider too
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 13
I've got it too. How badass is the opening scene infront of the giant american flag. George C. Scott did a great job.

On another note, my grandma actually knew General Patton back in the day. She says he was an excedingly nice man.

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
I've got it too. How badass is the opening scene infront of the giant american flag. George C. Scott did a great job.

On another note, my grandma actually knew General Patton back in the day. She says he was an excedingly nice man.

I agree wholeheartedly. I am not an american and this sort of thing usually disgusts me...any form of xenophobia disgusts me. But this speech was something else...goose-bumps all over my body...thrilling.

Funny enough - the speech by the president (Actor Bill Pullman) in "Independence Day" rates pretty high in my list of "thrilling movie speeches"
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 13
George C Scott reprised the role again in The Last Days of Patton, a movie about Patton's death. It is very sad, but it shows the general in his last days, facing a slow and unpleasant death with tremendous dignity. I am sure that he would much rather have died in battle. Eva Marie Saint played his wife, and Katherine Lee Scott played his mistress (I have no idea if she was related to George C.).

As for A Clockwork Orange, I think it was summed up as half meaningless violence and the other half violent meaninglessness. Despite that I liked the film, and always had a sneaking liking for Alex ( I must be very perverse somewhere deep inside). Ofcourse, I couldn't listen to Beethoven's 9th for months afterwards,and I still get a slight frisson everytime the Hymn to Joy starts up. It certainly is a movie to make you think, especially in these times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back