Patrick's case: you guys mostly aren't acceptable!
Oct 2, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #542 of 583
I swapped out my 16ga. monster cable for some 16ga. solid core wire, of the same length, too mind you, between my reciever and speakers, and alot of the bass went away and the sound was overall more dead sounding; more cold I guess you would say.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #543 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swapped out my 16ga. monster cable for some 16ga. solid core wire, of the same length, too mind you, between my reciever and speakers, and alot of the bass went away and the sound was overall more dead sounding; more cold I guess you would say.

It sounds like you wired your speakers out of phase.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #544 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but these are not specs, these are reviews of some guys, that as you do claim to hear them...guys like you or me...Do not get pissed, this is a free forum in which anybody could post their ideas, concerns and can question if one thing is truth or not, why not?

We have some manufacturers that publish the specs, usually the less expensive BTW. onthe rest what i ahve seen is a bunch of voodoo and snake oil BS, in the websites, as speed of light, even God was involved once, and all this crap and pretends us to trust that, the only parameters we know in cables are L,C, R, quality of dielectric maybe, and Z, and any combination of them, most of the times they even never publish that, you know why? Any other ten times less expensive will have very similar ones...

measuring cable at DC is a royal waste of time; I don't know why anyone would do it.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #545 of 583
Simply, Because they can't afford cables thinking it's too expensive and they want to prove something that they're wisemen who decided not to take much effort for cables. Cheap trick, ha?

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #546 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like you wired your speakers out of phase.

x2. I had the same experience before, just that I wired one speaker out of phase and it was the only one lacking bass so I knew what was possibly wrong.

Speaking about speaker cables, sadly it is the very type of cable where I am hard-pressed to hear a difference. There is hardly any difference when swapping between my QED XT-400 and a set of thick-gauged pure copper cables (which is still very decent stuff, mind you). Goes to show you need not spend fortunes when you already have decent stuff.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #548 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply, Because they can't afford cables thinking it's too expensive and they want to prove something that they're wisemen who decided not to take much effort for cables. Cheap trick, ha?

Perhaps you missed the part where Randi is offering $1 million dollars. Say what you want about his challenge, but I hardly think that he is making the challenge "because he can't afford cables."

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #549 of 583
I don't care about that stupid challenge. Let us go straight. Is there anybody who actually tried comparison between $3000 cable and $100 cable or even stock cable and found no difference?

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #550 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What cheat codes?

WindowsX: you still haven't answered this question. How exactly is it that you think that Randi's challenge uses "cheat codes"?

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #551 of 583
I don't know why I keep reading this thread. All it is is WindowsX trolling saying everyone else is poor and has bad ears.
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #552 of 583
People once thought the world was flat.

Tomatoes were poisonous.

Bloodletting cured disease.

You could turn lead into gold.

Carrot Top was funny.

$$$$ speaker cable made a difference.

Stupid people.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #553 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cables are the LEAST expensive high end stuff out there. Anyone can afford a few hundred bucks. Plus, the cost of manufacturing them is extremely low, allowing a huge markup. That's why you see a lot more hucksterism on high end cables than you do high end speakers or high end electronics.

Inexperienced audiophiles devote WAY too much attention to them- because they can afford them. It's like putting Ferrari hubcaps on your Ford. It's bling bling, but it does absolutely nothing to increase performance.

See ya
Steve

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #554 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say if you can calculate it, you can hear it, maybe not by you, but someone out there with super hearing can certainly hear it

James Randi better not offer his challenge to bats!

See ya
Steve

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #555 of 583
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However no blind test I know has ever ended with conclusion about the issue. Why is that?

That's simple. People *want* to be satisfied with the things they own. They *want* to think they always make the best decisions. When someone comes on this board and asks "What's the best DAP?" or "What are the best sounding cans?" do you think many people recommend something they don't own or are planning to buy themselves? A lot of them aren't really recommending something that would work well for the person asking the question, they're justifying their own purchases to themselves.

Put yourself in the cable believer's shoes. They came to this board and read some threads where people went on and on about the night and day difference between Atlas Titan Thor cables and regular old (spit!) CHEAP cables. They went to the Atlas Titan Thor website and read a bunch of technical double speak that they didn't really understand, but it all sounded good. So they clicked on "buy it now".

The cables arrived in the mail, all shiny and covered in the finest white samite. They ceremoniously placed them on their system, discarding the old "inferior" PLASTIC covered ones, and put on their best sounding CD... the classical one that they never play because they don't really like classical- they like hot mastered late 70s FM rock- but the classical one *sounds* better. "Wow! Listen to those piccolos! I can hear every frab of the oboe now!" They throw the old cables out, go back to listening to their crappy recorded hard rock, secure in the knowlege that all those overdriven peaks are being reproduced in pristine perfection.

Then they come back here and read someone saying that cables don't make a difference. Do they go back and do a direct comparison or conduct a DBT to see if there really is a difference? No. They say they don't *believe* in DBTs and direct comparisons. They get mad if someone points out that their opinion might not be based on facts. They don't want to admit the truth to themselves, even though they suspect that there really might not be a difference. As they argue, defending their position, they dig their hole deeper. They get so invested in cables making a difference, there's no way that they could admit it even if it was proven to them that they don't. There's no curse on being a cable skeptic who goes over to the other side, but you better believe that one has to eat a lot of crow to go from believer to skeptic.

If people were only fooling themselves, then a shrug and the old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted" would apply. But the problem is, to justify their cable belief, they have to proclaim it loudly and evangelically from the mountain tops. That results in MORE people coming to this board and reading threads where people go on and on about the night and day difference between Atlas Titan Thor cables and regular old (spit!) CHEAP cables.

The cycle repeats itself and the cable snake oil salesmen get richer. Like it says on the map at the zoo... "You Are Here".

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back