Parts inventory tool??
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sandbasser

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All -

How do you guys keep track of your parts inventory (resistors, caps, etc, etc)??? Software tool, spreadsheet, scrounged up boxes, plastic envelopes or what??? I'm a noob and I've already got lots of parts and it's getting hard to tell what I've got.

Thanks,

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 7
I have different levels of stock. Project builds are kept in the boxes i/e mouser, digikey. Rubbermaid drawers for heatsinks and hardware. I lucked out during back to school season and got a bunch of these little pencil cases for my benchtop. Slide-Out PENCIL CASE Durable SNAPS SECURELY HANDY !! - eBay (item 380076430375 end time Nov-26-08 06:09:37 PST) I put resistors, caps, little trannies, screws etc and can stack them on their side. If you can get them locally at the drug store etc they will be cheaper.

Inventory, my OCD is not that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 7
docs.google.com, I have different tabs for categories of parts. Some things are MUCH cheaper in high quantities (Xicon resistors for example) so I buy extra where it makes sense and track them in the spreadsheet. I could put them in mysql and write a web interface but I don't have that much time or parts yet. :)

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 7
I picked up various sized snap lock bags and some labels. I label the bags for resistors only. I put project parts together in snap lock sandwich bags and write the project on the label.

Otherwise, all my stuff is left in its mouser or digikey bags in largish cheap stackable drawers, and I just (try to) remember what I've got. Sometimes I forget and reorder parts, but usually I know I have it here... somewhere.

No inventory here.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Sandwich bags and plastic tubs. Parts are sorted according to passive/active, resistors/capacitors (sorted by value), and chassis hardware. Each project gets its own tub for its collections of parts and printed documentation. When a project is completed, the left over parts migrate to the general inventory tubs and the project tub is free for the next project.

Each project also gets a folder on my file store and everything is dumped in there, BoM's, datasheets, instructions, and photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back