parents caught me with headphones..
Aug 2, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 69
I started CD buying (like, lots) when I was 11, bought my first $500 headphone (the Bose QC2) at 15, so it's not really about you being too young. It's what the level of acceptance your family has.

I think I speak for everybody when I say you shouldn't be making big purchases behind your parent's backs, we don't want to be endorsing that kind of stuff. It always helps to communicate with your parents, about how you earned your money, how your hobby can enrich your life. Wife/girlfriend is your own responsibility, but not parents.

Even if your parents don't sympathize with you, just tell yourself it's only about the music.

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never tell my parents when I buy new headphones!
tongue.gif

Me either, now that I have my own paypal account. They don't notice new stuff on my desk
tongue.gif

And NEVER tell them what they really cost
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 69
"my mom needs to give me back $3000 that she borrowed from me"

Until they clear up thier debts they shouldn't be complaining to you. Besides have you seen the appreciation on the K1000's, HP2's and L3000's to name a few?

Mitch

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 69
I never tell my parents when i buy headphones. Or audio gear, or computer stuff.

But then again, i moved out of their house 11 years ago, and I own my own house now.

If it's your money, they're probably just concerned that it could be the start of a pattern of bad financial thinking.

In any case, you should probably not do it behind their backs.

Since you're young, you might have to do some research on how to phrase things so that it doesn't sound like you're asking for permission or advice. That way, they understand that you've made your decision, and you're just including them in your life.

Or, well, maybe they're more meddlesome than some parents. More or less the day i turned 18, the only response i got to any statement about "I think I'm gonna . . ." started to be "OK" or "That's nice".

I understand that some parents try to maintain some sort of control well into their child's adulthood.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #22 of 69
My parents never really cared what I spent my money on, but I never spend my money behind my parents' backs. If your parents are having problems with you buying certain things, you should really sit down and talk to them about it rather than trying to hide it. Buying things behind their backs is just going to lead to trust issues, and between parents and kids, especially at your age, can be a real problem.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much better than [...] a human index finger.

eek.gif

My parents have always been concerned about what I buy--audio and computer equipment. Over the years, though, I've realized it has far more to do with the fact that they don't know anything about it than it does that they want to control my spending habits. I've recently been discussing headphones extensively with my dad, and have even invited him to join me at a meet some day. It's a great way to get your parents/spouse/SO to be more understanding of the hobby.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #25 of 69
my parents do not say anything about my hobby except for the occassional "don't you have a little too much gear?" although they are cool with it. my dad also has a taste for hi-fi and that helped a lot i guess.

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 69
some of the older members advice is alot wiser than the solution im going to give you

well my hd600's were shipped to a close friend of mines...so last time when i went to his house..i made sure to bring a backpack (had my keyboard and stuff for lan gaming) put them in there..snuck it home it works..but the sit down and talk is a MUCH better solution especially that your dad is into it as well

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #27 of 69
My parents indulge me in my insanity. They know I love my hi-fi and my music. My 21st birthday present was my O2.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 69
My wife and I used to have this same discussion.

That is until one day she stormed into the house and went straight to my desk. I was startled enough to take a few seconds to ask her what was wrong.

"I can't listen to this" she gestured holding her pair of JVC partially broken 10$ pair of headphones " anymore, you ruined it for me." As she grabbed my SR 80's from my desk and sat down to listen to whatever she had in her discman.

Especially if your dad is into stereo equipment, let me hear it himself, I doubt you'll have many questions if you state your intentions and interests being as similar to his as they are.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #30 of 69
Don't complain to them.

As a parent of 3 teenagers I can tell you that complaining will do very little to improve your situation (at least in my household that's the case).

What might work is trying to demonstrate that you are mature enough to spend your own money on your own purchases. You might think about talking to your parents about your hobby, but remember you are unlikely to change their views or gain acceptance in one conversation. Sometimes it's just a matter of chipping away.

Try the "Dad I noticed that you were concerned about my headphone purchase and I wanted to discuss this with you. When would be a good time to talk about it and maybe you can have a listen to them?"

And of course, try to avoid a fight with them on this subject at all costs. A fight will just cause it to be a difficult topic to raise with them in the future.

Your parents, I would suggest, just don't want to see you wasting your money. You could try explaining that many people have audio as a life-long hobby (although many people float in and out over the years).

I would suggest that you avoid the "I could be doing drugs" line of argument - it will derail the real issue. Try to connect on some common ground. Try letting your dad listen to music he likes using your new headphones.

Otherwise, try working on your mom and see if she can talk to him. Explain that you would rather not sneak around behind them, and it's better than spending all of your money on video games - headphones also have a decent resale value.

Mothers often see that you are trying to do the right thing much quicker than fathers.

As already mentioned trust is a precious thing that you need to work on with your parents. Trust will always serve you well with your parents.

My 2 cents. I hope it work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back