Paranoid Headphone question!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP
Nov 1, 2007 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
ok so a friend came over and he was trying out my k701's. well he turned the volume on my heed canamp up to 3/4 volume ( i never turn it past half/12 o'clock). So essentially the volume was up very very loud, it was only like that for 2 seconds or maybe 3....but that seemed like forever ><
so would this screw up the phones in any way? like i'm getting the placebo effect of it sounding a tad blurry like....less defined but i think i might just be going crazy. anyone that can give feedback would be amazing, anyone with both the heed and k701 can maybe comment.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 22
I really don't think so, these things are pretty durable.
If you had connected them to a full-blown speaker-amp they would be fried for sure, but if you did not play some pink-noise test tones/clipping audio on your Heed at full volume, there is a good chance they survived.

You would probably hear a more drastical effect if the drivers were damaged in the process anyway.

Personal experience thrown in for good measure: Even though I normally listen at pretty low volumes, I have shamelessly used my K701 as a speaker substitute for a few minutes by turning the volume on my Opera almost to the max and they still work fine. Takes more to kill a phone I guess

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 22
They should be fine fine. In the future, one exclamation point is enough to get our attention.
cool.gif

1. david

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 22
It's fine... I actually saw someone drive his HD-580 to clipping levels out of a decent amp. The crazy thing was that he was actually wearing it...

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 22
Lol it's probably just that feeling some people (like me, perhaps OP too) get when they let their friends use their more... precious things, you get the feeling they're going to break them.

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 22
If the pahones were damaged you would here distortion on very low bass notes...you should be OK

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 22
They are broken. Just throw them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol it's probably just that feeling some people get when they let their friends use their more... precious things, you get the feeling they're going to break them.

blink.gif

..what ever floats your boat I guess.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

..what ever floats your boat I guess.

What's that supposed to mean
eek.gif

I meant something along the lines of expensive/dear/nice when I said "precious", and the fear of the possibility of losing said thing through use of an inexperienced individual.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 22
I think you may have to throw them out. I have a garbage can right here in case you cant bare to do the deed,ill take care of it for you.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so a friend came over and he was trying out my k701's. well he turned the volume on my heed canamp up to 3/4 volume ( i never turn it past half/12 o'clock). So essentially the volume was up very very loud, it was only like that for 2 seconds or maybe 3....but that seemed like forever ><
so would this screw up the phones in any way? like i'm getting the placebo effect of it sounding a tad blurry like....less defined but i think i might just be going crazy. anyone that can give feedback would be amazing, anyone with both the heed and k701 can maybe comment.

Probably not, but I learned an important lesson: don't ever let your friends borrow your headphones or adjust any settings on your equipment. I never had a single problem with my Sony CD1000 back in the day, having used them for three years at all different volume levels with various equipment, until I lent them to a friend for one night so he could DJ a party. He brought them back the next day and one channel was completely blown, it didn't work at all. He said he had just plugged them into his mixer and 5 seconds later they broke. The person didn't even offer to pay for them or have them fixed. When I told him it was his responsibilty to get me a new pair or have them fixed he said "Screw you, I didn't do anything wrong."
rolleyes.gif
And a year ago I sold my uncle my pair of Shure e2c for $60. To this day he has never paid me or offered to pay me.

Let the above be a lesson on why you should never trust anyone with your equipment. And if you do, make them sign a contract so that you have legal recourse should anything happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back