PanaVise holder and mount
Feb 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 22
I don't have this exact one but I have one pretty much alike, and I use it all the time.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 22
Hey MisterX. I used to own a modded by MisterX Emu 0404 PCI (non-express, was almost 10yrs ago). Good to see you're still at it 
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 22
I have a Panavise Model 201, with an accessory weighted base.  It's quite useful for small jobs, I actually use it more often than those alligator clip "helping hands" setups.

http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-Model-Junior-Miniature-Vise

Panavise also sells a weighted base in tray form, with a number of depressions for small parts.  Looks pretty nifty, I may get one of those in the future.  At the moment I have another Panavise on order, the Model 301, in a custom color:

(You can never have too many tools...)

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 22
I think I get the idea on that Panavise. It may be good for working on cables and electrical work, but may not be firm/tough enough for mechanical work.

Agree you can never have too many tools.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 22
Yeah, for electronics it's handy but I wouldn't used it for any heavy work.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 22
I think the Panavise is more useful for primarily PCB/circuit board work, especially with a weighted base.  I've been meaning to pick one up but they're stupid expensive in Canada.  If you're working more with wires/wire-to-wire type jobs then proper "helping hands" are more useful.  Those $10 alligator clip + magnifying glass ebay specials are more trouble than they are worth.  My other hobby involved a fair bit of soldering and one guy on the forum finally found some real quality helping hands after being frustrated by the cheap stuff and posted up a picture.  After many, many requests for more info he posted the brand/make and where he got it.  The the rest of us followed suit and bought our own.  Here's a shot of mine when I did a removable cable mod to my ATH-AD700 a while back.     

As good as this setup is, a Panavise or a real table vice is still better for heavy PCB soldering work.  These arms are fairly strong and the joints are fairly rigid, but still not that great if you press a bit too hard with the soldering iron and move the PCB out of position.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 22
It looks awesome tho. I can imagine heavy items may push down those arms if the joints are not tightened enough to transfer the bending moment. :)

BTW, can you share a link for this where to buy? It could be a good decoration to the desk.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 22
You can read more about the setup here, starts at post #22:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?180600-Anyone-seen-flexible-quot-Helping-Hands-quot-holder-that-actually-works-Answer-Yes-!!!

Wow... I forgot that it was like almost 7 years ago.  I bought the same parts but I didn't drill the 2nd hole for the magnifying glass, only 1 extra hole to mount the 3rd third hand.  I keep the magnifying glass separate since I don't use it that much and it has its own weighted base.  The complete setup is 3 things:

1) GRS double soldering station with 2 third hands
2) GRS third hand unmounted
3) Donegan Optical 4" Flex-A-Mag

That thread has links to a couple places in the US that still sell them plus a Canadian shop I found that also sells them.  This setup is NOT cheap by any means but you do get what you pay for.  The base soldering station with 2 arms is $125, unmounted arm is $40, and the glass is about $30-40.  If you read to the end of that thread, the last guy combined this setup with a Panavise and a pin vice that looks awesome.  Another cool thing is that when you're not using it, all the arms can be folded flat onto the base so it takes up very little space in storage.  I can take a picture of the folded up configuration and post that up later if you're interested.  

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 22
  I have a nearly identical model made from some other manufacturer. I find it pretty useful to hold small things in place while dremeling, or hold up a small circuit board, or holding small items when using the drill press. 

Panavise actually makes a model specifically for small circuit boards, but I haven't used one myself.

http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-333-Assembly-Circuit-Holder/dp/B000SSR8FY

I really like that GRS system!  I've ordered the double clamp model, curious to see how it works with the Starving Student PCB I'm accumulating bits for.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 22
  You can read more about the setup here, starts at post #22:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?180600-Anyone-seen-flexible-quot-Helping-Hands-quot-holder-that-actually-works-Answer-Yes-!!!

Wow... I forgot that it was like almost 7 years ago.  I bought the same parts but I didn't drill the 2nd hole for the magnifying glass, only 1 extra hole to mount the 3rd third hand.  I keep the magnifying glass separate since I don't use it that much and it has its own weighted base.  The complete setup is 3 things:

1) GRS double soldering station with 2 third hands
2) GRS third hand unmounted
3) Donegan Optical 4" Flex-A-Mag

That thread has links to a couple places in the US that still sell them plus a Canadian shop I found that also sells them.  This setup is NOT cheap by any means but you do get what you pay for.  The base soldering station with 2 arms is $125, unmounted arm is $40, and the glass is about $30-40.  If you read to the end of that thread, the last guy combined this setup with a Panavise and a pin vice that looks awesome.  Another cool thing is that when you're not using it, all the arms can be folded flat onto the base so it takes up very little space in storage.  I can take a picture of the folded up configuration and post that up later if you're interested.  

Thanks for the info. I can't view the forum posts without registration. But I have googled some info on the GRS.

Yes please post a pic of that folded up config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back