Panasonic vs Nichicon caps
Dec 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
I am building a B22, and I am trying to get everything from Mouser, but I have heard a lot about the Panasonic FC and I was wondering if it is worth it to spend more and order from digikey for the Panasonic capacitors. Or should I stick to Nichicon HE?

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 7
Mouser also carries Nichicon KZ and other "boutique" line.

These are the part numbers of all the electrolytic caps you need and in stock that I didn't end up getting
biggrin.gif

647-UKZ1H471MHB
647-UFW1H101MPD
647-UKW1H222MHD

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Panasonic FC are strictly motherboard caps so there is no place for them in the linear amps. Neither sound they good. If you must use Panasonic, PX is for audio, FG is for digital but acceptable for audio, sounds like a colder edition of Elna Silmic II (gold/black)

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am building a B22, and I am trying to get everything from Mouser, but I have heard a lot about the Panasonic FC and I was wondering if it is worth it to spend more and order from digikey for the Panasonic capacitors. Or should I stick to Nichicon HE?

I can't speak for AMB on his design and parts choices, but AMB does design very carefully, and by all accounts if you stick with his recommended parts, the amp will perform to his specifications.

If AMB recommends the HE, I would have no hesitation in using them.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Panasonic FC are strictly motherboard caps so there is no place for them in the linear amps. Neither sound they good. If you must use Panasonic, PX is for audio, FG is for digital but acceptable for audio, sounds like a colder edition of Elna Silmic II (gold/black)

People have used FC's in the Millett Max with good results - not in the signal path, but in the power supply and such. I've always been under the impression they are good general purpose capacitors. Also, Panasonic FMs which are supposed to sound OK in the signal path as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back