Panasonic SL CT 570... excellent!
Apr 15, 2002 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Just received a SL CT 570 this past weekend. Thanks to all at this site who recommended this player. Didn't have the ability to directly compare to my older SLSX 285... it developed a fatal problem and is now resting in piece(s).

My initital impressions after listening to a variety of music over the past couple days (Staind, Miles Davis, Mozart): I AM TOTALLY TICKELLED!!!

Amazingly sweet sound, much more "air" than what I was used to with the SL SX 285. I'd read plenty of reviews that talked about the air or space that some players/components can provide but never truly understood the concept... until now. Very cool! Seems much more dynamic than my previous Panasonic with just plain better sound.

This player seems like a perfect match for the Ety ER4P/S with the JMT amp. Worked really well with Grado 125 as well. Didn't try the headphone jack yet... went straight for the line out for my initial evaluation.

Thanks again to all those folks who suggested this player!!!

Bruce

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 22
I know I am in the minority here, but I've tried for the past few months to really like the 570, but I can't. I find the sound inferior to the older Sony's I have. At first I thought I was just used to the sound, but after a lot of listening I still find myself going back to older Sony's. I have Sony players ranging from 1992-1999, and their line outs are all superior in my opinion. I think the Panasonic sound is a tad clearer, but at the expense of sounding much thinner. BTW I use a RA-1 and RS-1's. I'm almost to the point of selling the 570....maybe I'm just missing something....
I'm not debating that the 570 isn't a top-class machine...it just wasn't made for my ears I guess.

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 22
They're grate!
Pana570 are not for people who like bright sound.
biggrin.gif
Stick with Sonys.

I've actually found the opposite, older model panas tend to sound rather lifeless, same with late model Sonys. I've tried the D-25S, that just sounded like a goat, detailed but straining for every breath.

Apr 15, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 22
I am sure it was the SL-CT570. Got it from onecall.com. I mainly use Grados and Koss KSC-35's, and with both phones I definitely find the sound from the Sony players to be LESS bright than the 570. Or maybe I'm confusing bright with thin....

Just different sounds for different ears, I guess...or maybe the 570 just doesn't match up well with my phones.

Apr 15, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by chriscu1
I guess I'm just a freak.
evil_smiley.gif

IMHO, when I think "thin" I think bright treble and/or a lack of midbass, so the opposite is ... precisely a Sony portable, esp. from a few years back. Very warm, almost fuzzy sound. The Sony portables I've heard were never bright. Sony separates and mini-systems, on the other hand, are commonly teeth-clenchingly bright
frown.gif
. And their loudspeakers were always zingy, jeez.

Or maybe I'm just a freak, too
tongue.gif

James

P.S. After receiving the Cardas' replacement cable and a new 4.5V TAH, I finally agreed with Todd's assessment that, when compared with the 470, the 570 treads a bit on the wrong side of brightness. The stock cable and old TAH never let enough of that brightness through to bother me. But I'm not complaining -- I've got the Japanese model of the 570, whose remote and optical out pretty much make up for the slight treble deficiency
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 22
I don't know about straightwire, but I found ratshack and monster cables to give any output device bright/grainy sound... I tried the Sony D-25S, thought it was way too bright. As for older model Sony portables, I found them either dark or slightly bright, was hit or miss. Late model Sonys and older Panasonics sounded thin to me.

Apr 15, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 22
I have the 570 and have been very pleased with the sound. I am using a 9V TAH with AKG-401s. At work the difference is most noticable as I hear none of the noise that was present when I utilized my laptop as a source.

John

Apr 16, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Interesting, James. I now wonder if I "traded down" to the 470 if I would get better results....

No, don't do that! The difference will be minor, and only in the treble. The rest of the frequency band will still be up the wrong creek for you -- even and composed. And thin, if you want to put it that way. Me, I think my 570 is gloriously neutral compared to the rest of the competition. But to each his own: I had the old SL-S321C & SL-SX300's, both of which were a bit dull and really lacked dynamics. But Marc Mickelson of SoundStage called the former smooth but detailed and still uses it in one of his two systems. A portable!

Apr 16, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #15 of 22
Peddler,

I see by your avatar as well as previous posts that I seem to recall, that you're an Ety user.

I have the SlimX as well and just ordered the ER6 from Headroom.

I was wondering if you felt that the HP amp in the SlimX had sufficient power to drive your Ety's (whichever model you have) without amplification?

I'm also considering ordering the 4P to try as well.

BTW, I also have the Pana 570 and like it very much, but it has
nowhere the feature set that the SlimX has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back