Panasonic SL CT 570... excellent!
Apr 16, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #16 of 22
Wow talk about conflicting views.
wink.gif

Here's what I think, and all my opinions are based off the headphone jack output, which IMO is the real way to use a PORTABLE player.
tongue.gif
Not to wire things to the portable player equivilent to more than what the portable player weighs and dwarf it in size.

1. Older Sonys starting from about 1994 definitely have a punchier, cleaner, more dynamic sound than Panasonics, IF you turn on the first Mega Bass boost step. If you listen to it plain vanilla, then it will sound warm, but still not as warm as Panasonics. But if you turn on the first MB boost, which BTW was VERY usable back and not a bunch of crap like it is today, the sound changed into something totally different than how a Panasonic sounded. And thus begins the preference split between Sony owners and Panasonic owners. Sony's older bass boosts actually boosted the treble as well to compensate for the boosted bass, which is why the boost was much more usuable than it is today, where only the bass is boosted. The 2nd bass boost would actually boost treble to the point of being too bright in fact. The bass back then was also much tighter than the current day Sonys, which have horribly boomy bass boosts. As far as preferences go, these players are by far my favorite soundwise, hence my 7 year old Sony D-465.

2. Panasonics have always sounded warm to me regardless of which generation, and there was no compensation for treble like older Sonys have in the bass boosts, so Panasonics have always been pretty much plain vanilla in terms of tweakability of the sound. The bass boosts on Panasonics have always sucked, overstrong and boomy. Either you like the way it sounds out of the box, or you don't. Now with the purchase of a Japanese CT-570, I was able to understand just why Panasonics sounded warm. It's actually their design goal behind their players. Right there on the front of the 570's box was a statement that said "Panasonic: the player with emotions." The same statement was also on an Panasonic MD player I owned for a while, which also sounded warm to me. Quite understandably, to invoke a more emotional, romanticized sound, you would boost the midrange, which is the region where most human voices come out through.

3. It seems nowdays that Sony is taking lessons from Panasonic, because ever since their G-protection lineup came out, their players no longer boosted treble with the bass when using the bass boost, and by default, their players sounded very warm. Boosting the bass created a horribly overstrong, boomy bass. It's like a game to see who can produce the most overblown bass, with Sony winning the game. So now Sonys are only usuable plain vanilla as well. And given that, comparing the 570 and a current day Sony, I would take the Panasonic. The Panasonic provides a slight bit more treble extension and keeps a tighter bass. More detailed, while maintaining that warm midrange. But then preference wise, I would prefer my D-465 over either one. Panasonic got that "emotional" sound down pat, while IMO Sony is overdoing it to being murky and muddy.

As for line outs with headphone...no comment there. It wouldn't be a portable if I used it that way.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #17 of 22
Dunno Senor Vertigo....

I took the opportunity to listen to the headphone jack last night and compare it to sound from the line out. Comparisons were done with the amp and without, with the S adapter cable and in basic ER4P mode. Listened to Miles Davis; Kind of Blue, Staind; Break the Cycle, Mozart, various. Although the sound quality is very good for the 4P straight from the headphone jack and improves some with the amp, it just doesn't have the sound quality of the line out plus amp. There is slightly better range, better dynamics, more "air" when using the line out that is not as present when using the headphone jack.

I think the improvement in sound quality is worth the extra hassle/weight/inconvenience of the amp. Fortunately, the JMT is pretty teeny. Overall, my portable setup is fairly light weight (Ety, Pana 570, JMT, Markertek). Adding the amp and cable is probably equivalent to carrying around an additional 5 CDs outside their cases. To my tastes, it's definately a worthwhile tradoff for many situations. Plus, it's a flexible setup. You can choose to use the line out and amp or not, depending on your needs.

Don't know if I'd feel the same about lugging along a HeadRoom Supreme, but I'd love to demo one to see if it would be worthwhile!!!!

Bruce

Apr 16, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 22
Hello Davo

Yes - the SlimX does drive the 4P's to very high levels. I also have an adaptor cable to convert the 4P to 4S spec and it doesn't quite have the same degree of oomph for them.

Be warned, the Ety's can reproduce a degree of hiss from the player. Whilst I don't personally mind this I'm sure some people won't!

When used with the Airhead amp, I honestly feel that the SlimX is on par with the Panasonic from a sound quality perspective - both when playing regular audio CD's and MP3's.

I hope you find this useful.

Apr 16, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

I think the improvement in sound quality is worth the extra hassle/weight/inconvenience of the amp. Fortunately, the JMT is pretty teeny.

Admittedly I am a MD user primarily, and PCDP are really a side thing for me. And in that case the "teeny" JMT Altoid is both heavier and bigger than the player by far. In fact the fancy interconnects alone that one uses for a "high end portable setup" would weigh more than the player. In that case, I would not find the improvement in sound worth the extra bulk, as it would really cancel out the point of the portable player.

Apr 17, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 22
I used to be quite fond of the SL-CT570A, because it has a very nice feature set for the price and sounded fairly good to me. Nevertheless, since I a/b-compared it to my old Sanyo CDP-55A (in combination with the Corda HA-1 and several headphones including my beloved DT531), I noticed some disturbing flaws in the Panasonic: Compared to the Sanyo, the SL-CT570A sounds rather artificial, grainy and unsolid to me. I don't really know, how to put it in words, but there's something in the way the Panasonic provides soundstage, imaging and positioning, that seems unnatural to me. I guess, if I hadn't got the old Sanyo, I'd try the Sony D-EJ955, the Philips EXP-501, the Sanyo CDP-4300 or the Aiwa XP-Z5 instead (actually, I might still do that, although I have the old Sanyo - I guess I'm just too curious...
wink.gif
).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I can't recommend the old Sanyo CDP-55A for direct headphone use, though, because the headphone output tends to be rather hissy. But the line-out sounds really good to me...

P.P.S.: chriscu1: Well, I guess I'm just a freak, too...
wink.gif
Time for "Team Freak(azoid)"?
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #22 of 22
I have been very pleased with the SL-CT570A as a portable source so far. Turning off all the features and listening to very clear sound. I picked up a variable voltage Wall wart for my TAH and want to do some listening tests. I am also going to look for the forgotten players around the house to compare it to. When I get an adapter I also want to listen to the home decks through the TAH.

Made the mistake of letting my wife try the new player. Bot it and the TAH walked away for a couple of evenings. Just as well I needed to do taxes.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back