Panasonic RPHJE50 v Sharp MD33 v Shure E2c
Apr 20, 2005 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LFC_SL

Headphoneus Supremus
Have isolated to these 3, because they are canal phones & for their price. Which offer the best compromise between fit, isolation and sound quality?
What is the 3 pole, 4 pole plug thing I hear about the Sharp? I understand it was made 4 a specific brand of MD unit. What mods would have 2 be performed?

I am only interested in these 3. Namely as they are canal phones. Not the Sony EX71. Given up on those (have discussed on another thread)

Please don't recommend others unless they are canal phones available at a similar price.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 20
I have all three 'phones in question. As far as comfort is concerned, both the Panasonic and Sharps are extremely comfy. Except for the music playing, I'm not even aware they are there.
The E2c is a bit bulky.....it is the largest of the Shure canal phones, and unless you use the foamies or purchase the ultra soft flex tips, they can be extremely uncomfortable for some people, myself included. They isolate much more than the Panasonic or Sharps.
As far as sound quality is concerned, my preference goes back and forth between the Shure and the Sharp. The Shure top end is rolled off quite a bit, yet that can be a plus if your music is poorly recorded or encoded at a low bitrate. The bass is decent, but can be a bit muddy to my ears.
The Sharp has a punchier, livelier sound.
The Panasonic, while an exceptional value at under $20, to my ears anyway, falls a bit short in the SQ department. Bass can be boomy and the high end tends toward harshness. I did a direct comparison between the Sharp and the Panasonic, paying particular attention to cymbals. The sound was more refined and detailed on the Sharp, while the Panasonic kind of made a mess out of it. The sound of cymbals with the Shure is also refined and detailed, but it tends to stay more in the background, which, as I said, can be a good thing with some material.
Although they all retail for under $100, there's a pretty big price range among the three phones. If I had to pick only one, it would be the Sharp, although the isolation is not as good as the Shures.
Oh, and the 3-pole, 4-pole thing is unimportant. The 4-pole was designed to work with Sharp Auvi MD units and is supposed to increase separation of sounds. It does sound great on my MD-R7, but I'm not sure if it's the 4-pole thing or the quality of the digital amp inside the unit that makes it sound so good. In any case,, it comes with an extension cable which also is an adapter for 3-pole jacks, so it really isn't much of a concern.
Hope I've been of some help.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 20
Having owned both the Sharp MD33's and the HJE50s, I can say that the Sharp MD33s are slightly better in all areas. However, once modded the same way, with foam or cotton over the driver, They sound very similar. The Panasonics have some kind of amazingly wide soundstage that still freaks me out from time to time, but also has highs that are still harsh after modding at times. The sharps are punchy and fun, but not much noticably more than the panasonics, but after modding have a very cramped soundstage.

So if the 4 pole thing bothers you, I say go for the HJE50s and mod them. But otherwise go for the Sharp MD33s, unless soundstage is a big concern.

Apr 21, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150
joelongwood- Would you happen to own, or auditioned a set of Sony EX 51/71's ? I'm wondering if the Sharp MD33 is truely worth twice the cost of the Sony EX51's.

I have the EX-71 (never heard the EX-51), and I paid $36 shipped. The Sharp MD-33S was $49 shipped. To my ears, the $13 difference for the Sharps is well worth it. Even at twice the price, it would be worth it. When I listen to the EX-71, I keep asking myself, "Where's the midrange?"
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 20
hey joelongwood,

what do you think about the panas vs the sonys? is the midrange as bad on the panas? is it the same boomy bass and shrill highs? I would try EQ with the sony's - the spoken word setting on my ipod made them much better.

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 20
Between the e2 and the md33, I'd take the e2 based on sound quality alone. The highs are rolled off with the e2, but the highs and midbass is boosted on the md33. Also, I find the md33's midbass to be lacking in texture and detail. Comfort wise, I give it to the md33. However, the sound quality of the e2 is worth the cost of ergonomics for me.

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintieman
Having owned both the Sharp MD33's and the HJE50s, I can say that the Sharp MD33s are slightly better in all areas. However, once modded the same way, with foam or cotton over the driver, They sound very similar.

Sorry if this is stupid. How did u go about doing that (having never owned them)

Apr 21, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
How about the new ex81s?
I have them and love them.

How long for? See I had EX71s for 6 months then right driver goes. Searching in forums others have had this (all right channel oddly enough) with this model & other Sony's. Good SQ (for price), good comfort, but fragile. Also wires on EX71s are too thin for me. I was afraid I would break them!

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 20
i got the ex71. i loved the sound. yes a lil too bassy but r&b is always playing on my ipod. yes the right side went dead, reason why is the flimsy connection on the "Y" connector. the wire wore off. too me, the design was poorly implemented.

decided to go for the Panasonice HJE-50. paid SGD $51. Sony Ex 71 was SGD $73.

listening to my panas right now. less muffled leads to higher clarity compared to Sony Ex71. right amount of bass. clarity still lacks PX200 but for the price, it's a worthy contender to the Ex71.

in fact, the sound on the HJE-50 are better. highs are bright, mids are less muffled than the Ex71 and the bass is more controlled, no more boominess.

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by davsmiths
flimsy connection on the "Y" connector. the wire wore off.

Agree. Also from "Y" connector up why is wire so thin + flimsy? I understand about comfort & discreetness, but seriously
biggrin.gif
Sony should look @ Senn MX500. Quality build 4 half the price. In fact Sennheiser should make a canal phone. I would buy even with no reviews about
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Agree. Also from "Y" connector up why is wire so thin + flimsy? I understand about comfort & discreetness, but seriously
biggrin.gif
Sony should look @ Senn MX500. Quality build 4 half the price. In fact Sennheiser should make a canal phone. I would buy even with no reviews about
biggrin.gif

Sennheiser does make a canalphone <- Not kidding! Its called the Sennheiser IEM3 (but save money by buying the Future Sonics EM3 (same thing, 50 bucks cheaper)).

Apr 22, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wackos
hey joelongwood,
what do you think about the panas vs the sonys? is the midrange as bad on the panas? is it the same boomy bass and shrill highs?

With regards to the Sony midrange........What midrange?!
tongue.gif

The Panasonics are better....not as upfront or detailed as the Sharps, but definitely better than the Sonys. And the Panasonics don't suffer from the boomy, overhung bass that plagues the Sonys. I did a major LOUD burn-in of the Sonys by playing the XM Radio Rap/Hip-Hop station through them (didn't even try to listen). After 24 hours, the bass is definitely tamer than it had been, with less overhang, but, unfortunately, the mids are still very distant. I'll try the "vocal boost" setting on the iPod. Thanks for the tip.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Sennheiser does make a canalphone <- Not kidding! Its called the Sennheiser IEM3 (but save money by buying the Future Sonics EM3 (same thing, 50 bucks cheaper)).

tried googling 4 theses Senns u name. Where are they? Have they been discontinued?

How much r Future Sonics? Can u get in UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back