Panasonic RP-HTX7.... I am totally amazed.
Dec 25, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 93
For you Americans out there interested in getting a black pair: Buy.com has it for $35.84, and $10 off $30 purchases if you use Google Checkout.

That's $25.84, then add in shipping (about $7 for me) and tax (only if you live in California, Indiana, or Massachusetts). Total cost for me shipped to San Diego, CA (if I decide to purchase them) after Google Checkout discount is $36.34.

By the way, they also carry the blue model for the same price. Other colors are strangely higher priced, but to save you some time, here are links to the other colors: cream, green, and white.

I found that Buy.com provided the best deal for these 'phones.

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 93
I found a pretty long review on these Pannys. The google translation isn't great so don't blame if you get a fat headache trying to read it
lambda.gif

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #20 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unbelievable: Very clear, detailed sound, large soundstage, full bass but not recessed mids. Although I felt that high is a bit sharp, these headphones are superior to any headphones in this price range in terms of clarity, detail, balance, comfort, and value. IMO, They are superior to any headphones around 100$. They compete with MS-1, and I prefer them to MS-1 because they are not harsh/aggressive as MS-1, much more comfortable than MS-1 and, of cause, they have large soundstage which MS-1 and other Grados do not have.

I have a totally different opinion.
Yes, it has a better soundstage than MS-1, but almost any 'phone will have a better soundstage than MS-1 cause it has almost no soundstage at all. It is quite comfortable and isolate well, but I found that it is way too harsh and bright (and I have to change my EQ to compensate that). Also, although the bass and high is there, the mid is way too weak, and it sound quite thin wtihout proper EQ. It is a fun 'phone to have, but I prefer MS-1 any day of the week.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #22 of 93
okok, I've been inflicted...I need quality headphones...hehe

been a long time reader - first post here...

I was looking to buy new headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
and was going to buy the MS-1 (because...well they have the grado sound!) - but the'yre open and I can not use it while I commute (which is when I listen to most my music), and then I saw the astronomically long K81DJ thread and the rave reviews and just thought I HAD to have them but its bass issue makes it less desirable...sorta hehe..and then i found these...

So how do these compare to the K81DJs? They sure look dammn fine.

thanks

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFireArow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides audiocubes(price seems a little high compared to other places) is there anyway to get these in Canada?

You just missed a sale at London Drugs...

It was $59.99...

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 93
oh man these have me pretty excited. I've wanted to upgrade from my HD201 to an AKG K81 for a while now, but now I'm considering these guys. Still waiting to see a few more reviews, but the style and short cable go a long way when I think about portables.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 93
Woah! Those green ones look awesome....

I must have them. Those look so cool.
eek.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #28 of 93
Well, I bit the bullet and got these today. Finally a pair of portable cans I really like! Some of the impressions discussed earlier seem about right. I should point out that I've only used them around 20 minutes so far straight out of the box with no burn in. As mentioned earlier, there is a slight sibilance problem and the midrange is mildly recessed. However, the recessed midrange was barely noticable on most of the tracks I tested it with. Hopefully, these issues will improve with some burn-in. The bass is pretty good and punchy. There is a little bloat, but nothing to cloud the sound. Overall clarity is very good. The soundstage is alright, but I wouldn't classify it as "big" like the original poster. I am a bit disappointed the colored cups were plastic instead of metallic since these were supposed to be retro-styled cans. On this other hand, this is a good thing in that it makes them extremely light and more comfortable. The cord is one-sided and around four feet long. So they should work well for portable use in that regard. They also included an extension of about 8 feet for home use. All in all I think these cans are a tremendous bargain at around 40-45 dollars shipped online. I've never heard the AKG K81DJ's but I'd imagine it'll stack up very well at a lower price point
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #29 of 93
keep us posted with your impressions, incognitoedleon. these cans have me pretty excited, so I wanna hear everything about them that I can.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a totally different opinion.
Yes, it has a better soundstage than MS-1, but almost any 'phone will have a better soundstage than MS-1 cause it has almost no soundstage at all. It is quite comfortable and isolate well, but I found that it is way too harsh and bright (and I have to change my EQ to compensate that). Also, although the bass and high is there, the mid is way too weak, and it sound quite thin wtihout proper EQ. It is a fun 'phone to have, but I prefer MS-1 any day of the week.

i second this opinion.

the RP-HTX7's are extremely bright sounding. the higher end of the sound range is so shrill at times that it is ear pearcing! I had to turn down treble just to resolve this issue, but it made the headphones end up sounding too dark.

another thing: yes, it has lows. so much so that it becomes boomy. they are extremely blunted and just keep on rolling. quite uncontrolled if you ask me.

there are some good things about these pair of cans though:

1) they look darn snazzy

2) closed. quite decent sound isolation imo, and totally great for "commuting" cans (for those of you who take public transit)

3) they have quite a large soundstage (but this is my opinion...i, having only tried out all of the grado SR series set of headphones and a bunch of senheissers...and own the px100s).

run them unamped and they sound completely hollow, almost like they are unable to produce a certain range of sound. after amping them with a go-vibe v5 however, the highs become super high (read: shrill
biggrin.gif
), and the lows become very dominant. soundstage also grows immensely with an amp.

take it as you will...they are a good looking pair of inexpensive headphones, but are by no means "audiophile" quality. and the brightness of the headphones tend to annoy me (and others, now that i begin to read this thread). but not bad. i'll keep them for public transit use
eggosmile.gif

edit: i should also mention that i "modded" these by inserting foam covers into the cup openings to reduce the bright nature of the headphones. it helped a little. i'm going to try thicker foam and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back