Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
May 31, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #481 of 599
I actually think its very easy to get them situated in the ears and I can even do it with different angles. The build is pretty poor though, ill admit. 

But...Sleek says that their new cable (for SA6R/SA7) with improved quality and different color schemes will be available in a month or 2. These are US made as opposed to the previous Chinese made cables. 

May 31, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #482 of 599
Can someone post a picture of what the stock wax guard looks while on the HJE900?  Are they on the outmost part of the flange, or are they deep inside near the housing?
I just realized mine don't have any, and don't remember what they looked like before.  I know that they can fall off easily, and don't really affect sound.  I just want to know if mine actually have it right now or not. 
Is the picture on the first post by dfkt showing it with or without the wax guard?
Thanks

May 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #483 of 599

Quote:
Can someone post a picture of what the stock wax guard looks while on the HJE900?  Are they on the outmost part of the flange, or are they deep inside near the housing?
I just realized mine don't have any, and don't remember what they looked like before.  I know that they can fall off easily, and don't really affect sound.  I just want to know if mine actually have it right now or not. 
Is the picture on the first post by dfkt showing it with or without the wax guard?
Thanks

Black screen that fits over the nozzle.  You can see through it but it's obvious if it's there.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #484 of 599
So I was thinking of reading through all 33 pages, but after page 13, I gave up. =P

I'm thinking about getting these, but I have some questions.

1. Will they still be good even if I don't do any sort of modding to them? I listen mainly to rock/pop, but sometimes more urban and dance music, too.
2. They're not getting old? Or, a better/newer alternative?
3. It doesn't bleed sound? One of the things I enjoyed about my Sennheiser CX300-II is the fact that my music is, well, mine. :wink:

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #485 of 599
1. Yes.
2. Somewhat/Depends
3. What?

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #486 of 599
Thanks for answering! Could you elaborate on your answer to 2. ?

With bleed sound... It really annoys me when people use things like Koss Porta Pro (I think), because it almost plays more sound around the air than into it...
I want a pair that isolates the sound to MY head, and my old Sennheiser CX300-II did this pretty good.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #487 of 599
1. Yes, except get new tips.  You can get Meelec tips for them for $5, WELL worth it.
2. I think they're excellent for the price if you like a V-shaped punchy NON-analytical sound
3. Yeah no issues on my end, unless you listen at unholy volumes (and you shouldn't be!!!)

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #488 of 599
They are still a huge bang for the buck at 80-100$ and still good at the 150$ range. The only way to get them new right now is for 200$ via a Japanese import. 

A nice little fact about these is that they actually use a really small driver. The unit itself is 8.5mm as stated in the box, but the size of the driver is 6-7.5mm. It's almost (or is) a microdriver...Pretty impressive considering the depth of the bass and good dynamic range. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #489 of 599

Quote:
A nice little fact about these is that they actually use a really small driver. The unit itself is 8.5mm as stated in the box, but the size of the driver is 7-7.5mm. It's almost (or is) a microdriver...Pretty impressive considering the depth of the bass and good dynamic range. 

By Golly I think you're right!  Looking through the screen it does appear to be a microdriver buried inside a shell.   

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #490 of 599
I recently got  the HJE900's.  Wasn't sure I would like them but I do.  Much better, in my opinion, than the Monster Turbines.  Bass isn't as overwhelming and the sound is definitely less muddy than the Turbines. YMMV. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #491 of 599

6-7.5mm sounds like the only possible sizes it can be, either way a microdriver. Panasonic never mentioned the actual size of the driver, though some specs say 12.5mm which isn't possible...lol
By Golly I think you're right!  Looking through the screen it does appear to be a microdriver buried inside a shell.   

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #492 of 599

Quote:
1. Yes, except get new tips.  You can get Meelec tips for them for $5, WELL worth it.
2. I think they're excellent for the price if you like a V-shaped punchy NON-analytical sound
3. Yeah no issues on my end, unless you listen at unholy volumes (and you shouldn't be!!!)

Capitalize #1

Expanding on my #2 it depends on what sound you want, as Baz said the V-shaped punchy is basically what you get. 

The Pana's get on my f'ing nerves half the time but that doesn't subtract that their.........all right phones. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #494 of 599
V-shape = Lots of bass and treble but not a whole lot of midrange

Punchy = Sound is very dynamic...it's energetic, crisp and lively as opposed to warm, full.  Depending on the style of music you listen to and your preferences, this can be good or bad.

Analytical sound is when the sound is considered "flat" such that no particular frequencies are boosted; these portray music more "as it was recorded" or perhaps "as it was intended to be heard." I find "analytical" to be a synonym for "lifeless" when it comes to audio, but to each his own.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #495 of 599
^ Agreed.

I disagree with how it was meant to be heard though.

The day a Ety produces a real life drum kick, snare, tuba right is the day i'll reconsider it or other analytical bull crap.

Speaking of which the Pana has a couple analytical qualities of it's own which is one of the reason it annoys the crap out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back