Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Oct 20, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #391 of 599

Quote:
I think I get fairly the same seal but better comfort. No longer does the cable put that much pressure on my ears since going over the ear was a bit difficult due to the length of the metal connector and the cable is also a much better length as the stock cable was too short for me and probably most people. I don't hear any change in sound but to me that's a good thing. I compared them a bit and didn't hear anything different and I'm fine with that as I find that they sound good already.

The shape will definitely allow for deeper insertion that's for sure, how is build quality next to the stock, if shabby these will be sent back quicker then I ordered them.

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #392 of 599

I just got my hje900 and I'm listening now. First impression:

Bass: Excellent. I will have a ceremonial burning of my superfi3 studio's this evening.

Highs: Ouch on my rock music. Detailed and open on my 'well recorded' music. If you like rock music that isn't covered in mastering gloss or stunningly recorded in general, you simply won't be able to stand these. Cymbal crashes will kill you.  EDIT: They needed burn-in. The harshness is literally gone.

Comply?: They slightly tame the unforgiving mid-highs. But we're audiophiles, right? I mean to hell with badly recorded music anyway!

Killer build quality, sexy looking, microphonics are pretty good. I wish they were a little more forgiving of the mid-highs obviously. I'm happy for now, they are a great pair of phones.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #393 of 599

Quote:

Bass: Excellent. I will have a ceremonial burning of my superfi3 studio's this evening.

Highs: Ouch on my rock music. Detailed and open on my 'well recorded' music. If you like rock music that isn't covered in mastering gloss or stunningly recorded in general, you simply won't be able to stand these. Cymbal crashes will kill you.

Comply?: They slightly tame the unforgiving mid-highs. But we're audiophiles, right? I mean to hell with badly recorded music anyway!

Killer build quality, sexy looking, microphonics are pretty good. I wish they were a little more forgiving of the mid-highs obviously. I'm happy for now, they are a great pair of phones.

Congratulations on your purchase, head over to the Pana appreciation to post further impressions...Also on the treble a foam mod is what the majority are doing clears things up nicely. And yes the Pana's like high quality bitrate, but bitrate really doesn't matter it's like a sub thing, what is more prominent is how well the recording is. That's what makes and breaks, these things reveal anything in any recording, and are picky in a weird way. For instance it' cool when another phone shows your recording up for being poorly mastered, but the phones that ive heard of doing this make the whole track sounds like a error. When in reality the whole track is probably not a error.So the Pana's dissect what is and what is not and presents it to you like it sounds.

So if the mids on a track sound like people stomping on reynolds wrap, but the bass and treble sound perfect, then you will hear people stomping on reynolds wrap with perfect bass and treble. Bass is the most weirdest one because you can hear the low quality drum, pot, or table used, while what ever synthesizer or organ in the mids sounds perfect, as well as the cymbals and hi-hats. Kind of weird, again mostly with poorly recordings or low biterate. Respects to the Pana's greatness, I scream at certain people who can't play the piano and frown at the keyboards or whatever recording equipment was used. So yes the Pana's show what is and what is not, down to the micro form, which includes everything.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #394 of 599
after several hundred hrs use the mid highs really smooth out quite a bit 
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

Highs: Ouch on my rock music. Detailed and open on my 'well recorded' music. If you like rock music that isn't covered in mastering gloss or stunningly recorded in general, you simply won't be able to stand these. Cymbal crashes will kill you.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #395 of 599

Quote:
regular_smile%20.gif

I really think this is true.  Time on and off again I compare my HJE900s with some other sibilant phones, and can clearly hear the harshness with the others while no longer with the 900s, even without any foam and with Auvio tips(which are the brightest tips I've tried with these). My rX700, which having laid back treble, can be sibilant after I EQ the highs up, and I can feel it on those while I don't feel the same harsness from the 900s.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #396 of 599

Quote:
regular_smile%20.gif

Treble tames down alot, everything smooths out I think the soundstage inched up a bit to....it was already wide.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #397 of 599
I remember my previous pair had around 600hrs of pink noise on them and a lot more time just listening and they really do smoothout however, I did this at very high volumes using flac so that may have had an effect idk. Never got to burn these in using an amp since I lost my oriiginal pair but my new ones ill give it a shot. Does anyone know if burn in will be improved using a balanced set up?I'm thinking of DIYing a balanced cable and going balanced I remeber reading someone balancing their ER4S with great results.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #398 of 599
yeah, this turned out to be true with me too! I'm ecstatic, because when I first opened them they sounded tin-like and harsh in the highs. After only 2 days they sound detailed, open, and smooth! These truly rock. And they are a pleasure to hold with such great build quality.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #399 of 599

Quote:
Treble tames down alot, everything smooths out I think the soundstage inched up a bit to....it was already wide.

That's right the treble tames down in time eliminating any sign of harshness or sibilance while somehow managing to maintain that raunchy rawness which makes electric guitars sound so darn good on these things.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #400 of 599

Quote:
I remember my previous pair had around 600hrs of pink noise on them and a lot more time just listening and they really do smoothout however, I did this at very high volumes using flac so that may have had an effect idk. Never got to burn these in using an amp since I lost my oriiginal pair but my new ones ill give it a shot. Does anyone know if burn in will be improved using a balanced set up?I'm thinking of DIYing a balanced cable and going balanced I remeber reading someone balancing their ER4S with great results.

Have no clue, burn-in was done via Cowon S9 will the volume set at 20% above normal listening.

EDIT: I think regular burn-in would do, I don't do pink noise so.....

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #401 of 599
Anybody discovered that they open a sealed package for these only to find that one of the channels does not work. I won a brand new set of these in a ebay auction and then, after well over a fortnight waiting for delivery during which the seller didn't reply to a single one of my emails asking whens this 3 day delivery going to happen, the parcel arrives - dated only a couple of days ago - and then when I open the parcel and break the seal and then plug them into my ipod I get sound in just one channel - don't panic thinks I cause its bound to be the cable, but when I swap over drivers from left to right the problem goes with the driver and the cable works perfectly OK with just one driver and the other driver is as dead as a dodo.

Shame really - they look fantastic and I've been waiting for ages to try these out ever since I began reading this thread, only to be left feeling deflated by the whole experience.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #402 of 599
That's called getting a lemon and bad luck. Time to get a refund from that ebay seller.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #403 of 599

Quote:
That's called getting a lemon and bad luck. Time to get a refund from that ebay seller.

Yes that is true - anyway I've emailed this sucker 3 times in 3 days and got no reply so it is now in eBay/Paypals hands and I want a refund - unbelievable but when I opened the package they had used 2 supermarket shopping bags as padding - when I sell 2nd hand earphones and headphones on eBay I think the people who win them in my auctions must think I own a bubble wrap factory they are wrapped in so may layers.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #404 of 599
These do become more enjoyable with burn in. The treble issue that I had at first(used Comply's to combat this) is now gone. Also the bass isn't as authoritative as it was. This isn't a bad thing, it still sounds great but not as overpowering as when they were new. People complain that they are not very "balanced". They seem to be getting closer to that as time goes on. But, trust me, they are still very energetic and fun.

Then again, maybe its just in my mind. But I have been A/Bing them to make sure I'm not just getting "used' to their sound. After doing this, it seams they are "burning in" and it's not my brain "burning in".

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #405 of 599
I agree.  I feel like these are evening out, but I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to the sound or what.  

On another note, I bought some of the Sleek Audio cables for these and I'm not impressed.  The mids are more grainy and the treble sparkle is gone.  Also, when I'm laying down, if I turn my head a certain way the sound will drop out of one channel altogether.  I compared the pins that plug in to the iem and the ones on the stock cables are a little bit longer than the ones on the sleeks.  The difference is maybe a millimeter or two, but I'm thinkin this might have something to do with the sound being different.  Maybe there isn't a good enough contact between the cable and iem with the sleeks?  Or maybe I just got a bum set of cables, idk.  I'm still gonna keep the sleek cables as a back up just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back