Panasonic RP-HJE50 Review/Comparison to EX71 (with pics!)
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #76 of 120
I got a pair and frankly I can't complain for what they do. I only use them if I need the isolation, though.

I have the same problem with one of the phones fitting better than the other. Humans are just assymetrical. I'm sure this can would benefit with some foamies like the others have said.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #77 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
But Sony isn't that all good either. Cables that rip within a few months, and not to mention shrilly highs and too much one-note bass. I'll take the Panys over the Sonys any day, thank you.

thats the number one reason why i didnt wanna get a sony..i had panasonic clip-ons in the past and i loved it....thats why i decided to go back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
I have the same problem with one of the phones fitting better than the other. Humans are just assymetrical. I'm sure this can would benefit with some foamies like the others have said.

can we buy them? the foamies? how much would they cost?

Dec 22, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #78 of 120
Quote:

But Sony isn't that all good either. Cables that rip within a few months, and not to mention shrilly highs and too much one-note bass. I'll take the Panys over the Sonys any day, thank you.

wow, i dont know how u guys use your earphones, and what do u use them for... lol

I have my 1999 EX70 both black and white, EX71, even my fours pairs 888SP, never had a problems, so...

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #79 of 120
If you search through the forums, you discover that's it's not just me that has problems with EX71s. Also, I myself have owned two pairs of EX71s, and my friend bought a pair from Hong Kong, and they both of the cables had exposed the wires within a couple of months.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #80 of 120
Quote:

If you search through the forums, you discover that's it's not just me that has problems with EX71s. Also, I myself have owned two pairs of EX71s, and my friend bought a pair from Hong Kong, and they both of the cables had exposed the wires within a couple of months.

then you guys really should learn to take care of your SONYs, cuz in my memory, I hardly have any SONY had any problems!!! and speaking of my EX70, 71 and Qualias, they are just fine. remember I had my two paris of EX70 for more than 6 years now!!!!!

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #81 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by QualiaSense
then you guys really should learn to take care of your SONYs, cuz in my memory, I hardly have any SONY had any problems!!! and speaking of my EX70, 71 and Qualias, they are just fine. remember I had my two paris of EX70 for more than 6 years now!!!!!

Mine are as old as yours.
tongue.gif
Got them when they are first released. Check out the color of the EX70!

DSC02048640x480.jpg

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #82 of 120
I have had both of these (EX71 and JE50's) since about March and they still look like the day I bought them. I prefer the EX71 purely based on comfort. The Pana's just hurt, even with the small sized silicone thingies, after about 15 minutes of use.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #83 of 120
Wow! A splendid review here! I'll probably buy the Panasonics. Already had bad experience with a very similar Sony model with an extremely thin cord.

I see plenty of these kind of headphones on audiocubes.com and wonder which is best to own out of all of them. I was thinking of a pretty recent (2005) Panasonic release, or maybe the Audio-Technica ATH-CK7. Other possible choices for me may be the Panasonic RP-HNJ50, Sharp HP-MD33S (looks like no amps allowed here! only 20 mW maximum power handling), or the Sony Qualia MDR-EXQ1 (hey, wait a second. I can get IEM for this much money! (steering away...)).

So what's out that's exclusive to Japan and is better than what's offered in US/Canada & Europe?

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #84 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamsolucky
That is big enough for an elephant. LOL .

Does anyones else find that headphones with unequal cords don't quite sound right?

No, but I personally find them annoying, as I'm not used to putting a cord around my neck...

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #85 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
now here's the question: has anyone run the panasonics VS the sharp md33-s? This is an important ocmparison to me because I am betting that the 49 dollar price tag and week long overseas shipping is not worth it in the end (the md33-s had shrieking highs for me as well until I modded them with a significant amount of cotton)

And: as for fit, the md33-s were both more comfortable and easier to fit than the true canal phones I tried at the Oregon meet.

What are 'true canalphones'? IEMs or stuff like Sony MDR-A34L, MDR-A35G, MDR-A44 (which I've used since 1999)...

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #86 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
Maybe its not so easily transferrable among countries; but how does 12.5% sound??? (here in NZ)

7 % here in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the US. I heard most of Canada has 7 % + 8 % (for GST & PST) = 15 % total tax! That's bad there. I think the highest, though, is in Northern Europe. 25+ % anyone?

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #87 of 120
Bumping an old thread to say...

I purchased these today (RP-HJE50) at Circuit City because of this thread and taking a chance on getting something that will work for me in the interim while I save up to get the Shure E3c.

I gotta say, from the moment I put 'em in and pressed Play the first reaction was:

"Ugh."

The fit is ok, the isolation is somewhat ok (I could still hear things that I shouldn't be able to at levels that were simply higher than other IEMs of similar styles - Sony EX71 for example), and I personally have this gripe about "short" cords with extenders but that has nothing to do with the most important aspect of all: the sound quality.

"Ugh."

There's like no bass of any kind with these things. I would expect an 11.5mm driver to have "some" bass compared to the Sony EX71 and its 9mm driver that has more bass than you can shake a stick at. I guess I'm just defective or something.
eggosmile.gif
The medium tip (default) sounded as good as these things get because the large tips sounded worse and any bass I noticed with the mediums simply disappeared altogether with the large tips. The small ones are of no use to me since they won't even stay in place.

And I know they're budget IEMs but geez, maybe I need to have my hearing checked. Yes that's a joke but even so, it's like my experience recently with the E2c vs E3c: the E2c needs a lot of work to sound good to me, a lot of EQ to fix what I believe are its deficiencies, while the E3c sounded good to me as soon as I inserted them and pressed Play. No muss, no fuss, no EQ - bam, they're on the money.

Guess this will be yet another set of earbuds I return. It'll be the last ones I buy also since from this point on I'm just going to hold out until I have the funds to buy the Shure E3c once and for all. Just in case, I'll leave these things burning in off the Karma for a few hours, perhaps overnight even, but at this point I doubt it'll make much difference.

This kind of stuff either has that "Wow" factor when you press Play or it doesn't, and my opinion of the Panasonic RP-HJE50 is currently "Ugh."

Just my $.02...

bb

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #88 of 120
i agree the bass is a bit lacking but if you open up the lil cover thingy it helps pretty good.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #89 of 120
Seems like you're not getting a good seal, hence the lack of any useful bass. I didn't find the stock eartips very inspiring either; if you can find any eartips that fit and seal well then the sound is pretty good for the price (after burn-in). Not a challange to the Etys/Shures/UE etc.

Sony EX51/71, Ety ER6 and Shure E2 tips all fit with various degrees of success. The Ety ER6 foames work well in terms of seal and isolation, but won't magically enable the Pannies to match the ER6 sound quality.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #90 of 120
Bleh. They just don't do it for me, but I should have known that from the start.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned the EX71's in the past, and even though it's been awhile I know their sound signature. With one of my old MiniDisc units (Sony MZ-N1, god I miss that thing... left it on a bus and realized it 10 feet out the door and the driver simply wouldn't stop... GRRRRR) I used the EX-71's pretty much everywhere and while a bit muddy and lacking in detail, their isolation - especially on said bus(es) - was a godsend.

That was 3 years ago roughly. These days with cell phones being used in far greater numbers much to my dismay that level of isolation is almost a requirement even more so. I really do miss the MZ-N1... geez... $400 gone in a moment of distraction. Bleh.

For now it's a definite on the Shure E3c. Nothing I've ever heard in the IEM field holds a candle to those, so unless I actually get to demo the E4c they're the IEMs of choice. I don't like the design of the E5c, nor do I like the E500 they just introduced at CES in Vegas the other day.

It's hurry up and wait now for the money to get the E3c. My Pro-35A's will suffice till then.
eggosmile.gif

bb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back