PA2v2 or Cmoy
Dec 5, 2007 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
it's another one of those, 'i can't decide' things, so i'll let you decide for me. which would you go for? and why of course.

is it right that cmoy's come in kit form, people make the then sell them....preferably on ebay?

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 24
i think you should go with pa2v2. it's better than most of those cmoy amps. after using the pa2v2 for a while, i am sure you will want to upgrade to a better one (happens to pretty much everyone here). pa2v2 will be a lot easier to sell than the cmoy's.
i have a pa2v2 and a cmoy. the cmoy outperformed pa2v2, maybe because the pa2v2 had low gain. i sent it to gary, he changed the gain to 6(for free and he even paid for shipping. gary's service is another reason to go with pa2v2), and it's on the way back to me now.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 24
I never liked the idea of buying a cmoy that someone else made, unless its made by someone who makes them in large quantities. So in my case I made the choice between did I feel comfortable enough to build my own or did I just want to buy one. I ended up building one myself because I was able to scrounge most of the parts in my labs, but got bored with the sound and upgraded to the PA2v2, in part, because of Gary's amazing customer service.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 24
PA2v2. Sounds pretty good. And, for the rest of your life you have the ability to get it fixed free if need be. Plus, if you ever decide to sell it, you can pretty much always get $40 for it here.

Whoa. You are a 500+ poster. So ummmm....you probably know all of above.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa. You are a 500+ poster. So ummmm....you probably know all of above.

i'm not that hot on headphone amps. I would like to have a go at both.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 24
I was under the impression you could get a DIYer to build you a CMoy for $40/$50 that would outperform the PA2V2 by quite a bit. Is that not the case?

(P.S. This is not to say that the PA2V2 is not a good portable amp in its price range, it was my first amp and it was well worth the $ IMO. And Gary is a great guy to deal with, no doubt about that either.)

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 24
I have never heard the PA2V2 but Zigis offers a nice kit for the Cmoy amp (alps pot, TLE2426 rail splitter, gold plated sockets). He has a thread in the DIY section if you are interested. I like Zigis design as it removes the ugly toggle switch most Cmoys have (on/off switch is built into pot)
If you want a prebuild amp have a look at these.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard the PA2V2 but Zigis offers a nice kit for the Cmoy amp (alps pot, TLE2426 rail splitter, gold plated sockets). He has a thread in the DIY section if you are interested. I like Zigis design as it removes the ugly toggle switch most Cmoys have (on/off switch is built into pot)
If you want a prebuild amp have a look at these.

They look stunning!

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 24
See if the user Biosciencegeek has any Cmoy's up on eBay right now. He has great customer service and the amp sounds great.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never liked the idea of buying a cmoy that someone else made, unless its made by someone who makes them in large quantities. So in my case I made the choice between did I feel comfortable enough to build my own or did I just want to buy one. I ended up building one myself because I was able to scrounge most of the parts in my labs, but got bored with the sound and upgraded to the PA2v2, in part, because of Gary's amazing customer service.

I'd say the Penquins fit your large production cmoys
biggrin.gif
(Great reviews also)

The only other thing I can say on the cmoys in altoid cans the round ones are much stroger casings than the rectangular boxes
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression you could get a DIYer to build you a CMoy for $40/$50 that would outperform the PA2V2 by quite a bit. Is that not the case?

(P.S. This is not to say that the PA2V2 is not a good portable amp in its price range, it was my first amp and it was well worth the $ IMO. And Gary is a great guy to deal with, no doubt about that either.)

A little off topic, but you can get a Mini^3 built for a little more too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back