pa2v2 just not doing anything?
Mar 8, 2007 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

slydog64

New Head-Fier
I ordered my pa2v2 2 weeks ago and it came in a few days ago and I have been listening to it quite a lot, but I cannot really hear a difference with my sr-60's. I have been using the line out on my ZVM and I dont notice anything different about the sound. The bass does not seem to be any more pronounced and I cannot feel a difference in the sound stage. I don't know if it just that my ears are not trained to hear the differences, or the fact that there may not be any differences.

Could someone tell me exactly what I should be listening for to hear the difference, because as of right now its hard to justify spending $60 on what is basically just an external volume control for me now.

Im not trying to bad mouth the pa2v2 in any way by saying that it doesn't do anything, just wanting to know what it should be doing.

Also, I was thinking about trying out the LDM+ and seeing if that would make any difference.

I am looking for a bit more bass out of my grado's

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 20
I've no experience with the PA2v2, but in general, when you use an amp, you will get tighter, clearer sounding bass (and overall). It's bass quality, not quantity.

As for soundstage, there isn't much because that's a common trait of the lower tier Grado headphones.

Granted, different amps will push or pull headphones in slightly different directions. I find my PINT to give more bass quantity than my Hornet, but don't expect the amp to change dramatically the headphone's original sound.

One other tweak you can do is change the interconnect, the cable between your DAP and amp. I know I noticed a big improvement when I moved from a cheapo $15 Cardas cable to ones made by Highflyin9.

Another cheap way to boost the bass is to use EQ. I don't know what EQ features the Zen has.

And if none of these things satisfy you, then think about getting a different headphone. Beyerdynamics headphones would probably work well for someone with a liking for Grado but with a wanting for more bass.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 20
When I had my ZV:M I experimented with my PA2v2 with every headphone I own. Even with my E4 IEM I could detect a small improvement in soundstage, bass and overall detail...not a very good match though and barely worth the trouble but I do like the big volume knob as opposed to the awkward touch pad. My first use for the PA2v2 was to amp my MD player which sounded thin without the PA2v2(amping the headphone out).

The ZV:M has decent power but it was using my full size headphones where the difference became obvious. The PA2v2 really can't drive my 250 ~ 300 Ohm headphones very well but with my AKG K240S the PA2v2 matches well and here the PA2v2 gave plenty of volume with much better dynamics (where the ZV:M needed to be maxed out to even come close).

As for using a dedicated line out dock, I honesty could never hear an improvement. I bought it simply to get away from the dongle which is a PITA to use and doesn't look very good.

I think you should keep listening to the ZV:M & PA2v2 combo for several days and then go back to just the ZV:M. You might find it lacking something, enough to justify using the amp.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 20
I will probably keep listening to it for a while, Gary gave me no rush to decide if I wanted to keep it or not.

Im planning on keeping my zvm for a while so maybe I should invest in the cable that you have had for sale for so long.

I probably should have just spent the extra 60 on a better set of headphones instead of amping $60 cans with a $60 amp.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 20
From my point of view, the PA2V2 is nothing more than a volume amp. Not to trash Gary or anything, I think he's a great guy and doing business with him has been a pleasure, but looking at the circuit of the PA2V2 I don't think there's much improvement the PA2V2 can add to the sound.

The most improvement you can hear will probably be with high-impedance cans. The concept of amps is basically to take over the job of the internal and supposedly low quality amp in your player, thus giving an SQ improvement. With low-impedance headphones I doubt you will hear much of a difference.

Just my two cents...

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will probably keep listening to it for a while, Gary gave me no rush to decide if I wanted to keep it or not.

Im planning on keeping my zvm for a while so maybe I should invest in the cable that you have had for sale for so long.

I probably should have just spent the extra 60 on a better set of headphones instead of amping $60 cans with a $60 amp.

This hobby keeps getting more expensive
evil_smiley.gif

icon10.gif
I don't know anything about amping Grados but if you step up to more expensive headphones they will most likely need a better amp than the PA2v2 anyway.

The sale of my LOD is pending but if you want a Zen LOD, Qables sells the less expensive one for $35 + shipping I believe.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 20
I have a PA2V2 and a zen vision (not the M though) and I have to admit that the improvements with low impedance headphones are quite subtle, it's definitely not a night and day difference. With the PA2V2 the sound is a bit more dynamic, the bass is a little bit fuller, but nothing dramatic.

When I moved from my old 3rd gen ipod headphone jack to the ipod line out + PA2V2 there was a big improvement in sound, but the Zen vision serie has a much better headphone jack than the Ipod, so the improvements are much smaller. The effect of an entry level amp such as the PA2V2 is probably more noticeable if you have a player with a "crappy" headphone jack.

On the other hand if you start using more demanding headphones the PA2V2 power will probably be usefull. Also some headphones improve differently with amplification. For example it has practically no effect when I use my beyer DTX900, which are very undemending headphones, but it improves sound quite noticeably with my KSC75 or bigger headphones.

So in short it is possible that you get only a very subtle improvements with your curren DAP / Headphones combo.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for the replies guys, how do you feel about a go vibe 5 or 6? Would that make any difference or would it still not be noticeable?

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 20
An amp that just makes the signal louder is not always a bad thing, back in the 70s when I got interested in HiFi I came across the expression "wire with gain" i.e many pundits felt an amp's job was just to make the signal louder and otherwise just get out of the way.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 20
Well, I dont have a use for wire with gain as my ZVM can push my grado's and marshmallows well past reasonable listening volume. But I see your point, If I had cans with a big impedance then a amp would be useful.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I dont have a use for wire with gain as my ZVM can push my grado's and marshmallows well past reasonable listening volume. But I see your point, If I had cans with a big impedance then a amp would be useful.

if you are looking for an amp that will change the sound SIGNATURE of the music, you are better off trying EQ... it chagnes the sound a lot more to your likings. i think of amps as an external volume knob coming with a preset EQ and wire gain.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 20
I had the PA2V2 some time ago and I thought it was a good match to some Philips and Sennheiser earbuds. Bass became a little fuller, highs crisper, dynamics more entertaining. We're not talking about dramatic changes, though, since hi-fi is all about subtleties, right?
icon10.gif

The dark side of that little amp cropped up when attempting to give it a try on full sized thoroughbred headphones. Especially on high impedance cans, like the Sennheiser HD530 MkII I had, the result was utterly deceiving. In fact, the amp couldn't provide enough juice, dynamics were poor, bass bloated and unclear, highs muffled, soundstage....what soundstage??

So the answer is: it's a nice amp for the money, but keep in mind it's a modest portable one and don't ask it to do things which it wasn't designed for.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 20
after listening to it a lot more recently I am beginning to notice a change in the sound I get. I cannot really tell a specific difference while a/bing it. But I can tell there is something less full about the music when I am not amping it.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 20
Noticing anything more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back