pa2v2 just not doing anything?
Mar 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 20
Its still hard to tell specific differences, as the bass and treble doesn't change much. But there is just something missing without the amp, or maybe its just me trying to find something.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 20
I had a similar experience when I got my first headphone amp - a Headroom Airhead, 2 versions ago, I think. Plugging it in I didn't seem to notice much difference. However, I used it for a while, maybe two weeks, and then went back to listening without it. Once I had been listening to it for a while and then took it out of the signal path I noticed a change. It was not night and day but it seemed to be an improvement.

I agree with a few things that have been said already: an amp that just adds volume without imparting it's own flavor is not a bad thing and don't expect a $60 amp to perform miracles.

I think the source and the headphones will make the most difference in the sound. Even with higher end amps I find it difficult to tell the sound of amps apart that are of similar and reasonable quality.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after listening to it a lot more recently I am beginning to notice a change in the sound I get. I cannot really tell a specific difference while a/bing it. But I can tell there is something less full about the music when I am not amping it.

That's pretty much what I hear too. It's difficult to describe it as something else than "the sound is more full" though. And it's quite subtle...

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 20
I decided I am going to return it to Gary, Ill probably save up for something a little more beefy.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #20 of 20
I sent it back to Gary today, I never noticed a significant enough change to keep it. I did mod my sr 60's today and that made a change, although I dont know if it was an improvement. I put mesh on with smaller diameter holes. Sounds bit more up front, but more tinny sounding.

But back to the amp, it took way to much effort to pick out the slight differences there was, even after getting used to it. It didn't add anything worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back