PA2V2 hissing noises, resolution please?
May 5, 2006 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EscaBoi

100+ Head-Fier
When i use the PA2V2 on my Vision:M, i usually hear hissing noises around the 6 o'clock point on the volume knob, but usually turn it to the 9 o'clock position for maximum benefit. On my computer, it begins at the 4 o'clock point. This is when everything is on mute, it doesn't bother me too much, but when i do turn the volume up higher on the amp, the hissing can be slightly heard in the background.

I purchased a Cardas HPI hoping that would solve the problem, which it didn't. I've also got Energizer Rechargables that i've read about that helps reduce this...but that hasn't helped either.

Any other suggestions that you guys can recommend?

May 5, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Are you using the Etymotic ER4P with them? Those are very detailed and revealing (honestly, a little too revealing for the PA2V2). Also, they're the lower impedance version, and simply might not need an amp - I would bet the hissing will go away if you get the Etymotic P>S cable.

I found the PA2V2 to be pretty much noise free with regular headphones at normal volumes - if you're hearing slight hiss at high volumes, then that's a sign you should turn down the volume. All amps, soundcards, and DAPs will have some background noise level.

May 5, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Sounds like a problem with the pot to me. Maybe wear, maybe there's a little bit of something in there.

If you have a Radio Shack or electronics store nearby, go pick up a can of contact cleaner. You might have to partially disassemble the amp to get to the pot. But I think this will fix it.

May 5, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 7
The Op-Amp that Gary's using in the PA2V2 takes about 30 seconds to warm up and settle. They make noise that sounds like a dirty pot during this warm up.

It also helps to use rechargable batteries and not alkalines or ac power.

May 5, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Are you using the Etymotic ER4P with them? Those are very detailed and revealing (honestly, a little too revealing for the PA2V2). Also, they're the lower impedance version, and simply might not need an amp - I would bet the hissing will go away if you get the Etymotic P>S cable.

I found the PA2V2 to be pretty much noise free with regular headphones at normal volumes - if you're hearing slight hiss at high volumes, then that's a sign you should turn down the volume. All amps, soundcards, and DAPs will have some background noise level.

I use the amp with the P-> S Converter, i probably should have noted that.
and to be honest, i dont really hear much of a difference between "S" amped and "P" unamped, except for a slight increase in bass.

I also use the amp on my computer, which is when i use the A900's for it.

As i've said, i'm using rechargables.

I just got the amp a couple of weeks ago, first i thought the hissing was normal at higher volumes, but then read how some users also suffer from the hissing at certain volumes also.

What's this "pot" thing??
confused.gif
i'm new to the whole amp scene, i'll open it up and see if i can perhaps fix anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back