P-51 with ipod touch 2g
Dec 27, 2008 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received a iPod touch 2nd gen. for Christmas. I've been a long time Rio Karma user and finally decided to move on to something more functional (in terms of the user interface and size) when I heard that the sound of the 2nd generation itouch was pretty good.

I've had some time with it over the last few days, and I am pretty pleased with the sound, but suspect it would really benefit from an outboard amp. Primarily, it seems like it could use a boost at the lower end, but I don't like the effect of the bass boost in the EQ setting. (I used Meier Porta Corda with my Rio for awhile, but ultimately determined that the Rio out of the headphone out was so good that the extra bulk of the Corda was not worth it.)

Anyway, I'm looking for input on how much the P-51 improves the sound of the 2nd generation itouch. Among other things, does it improve the bass? Does the addition of the P-51 make a noticeable improvement in the sound, or is it more subtle? And how would you describe the improvement?

FYI, the IEM's I have used for some time and will be using are the UE-5c's.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 8
It'll improve the sound a lot. Deeper and tighter bass is sure.
I'm not sure if the power of the iPod is low or something like that but I find my P51 sounds more dynamic and powerful at the same volume when fed by my DacMagic than by the Nano. Both of the combination sound really awesome though.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What LOD/interconnect are you using...also go for some nice full size cans.

I'm probably going to purchase an LOD cable from one of the DIY'ers here on the forum.

This is a portable rig (for travel, etc.); hence, I don't want to use full size cans. I use full size cans with my home rig.

Any other comments on the P-51 with the iPod touch. There must be some who are using this combo.
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an ITouch...very nice but a large footprint...with the 51 I would use a smaller source.

But the iPod touch is what I have.
confused_face_2.gif
I'm not going to buy another source to use with the the P-51 when I already have a source that I'm basically happy with. The issue is the extent to which the P-51 improves the touch - SQ wise. Oh heck, I give up. I think I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't satisfy me I can always sell it.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Nothing satisfies everyone but the P-51 is one hell of an amp. I have been using a bit of velcro and just use my iRiver h140 and the 51. Some of the smaller sources like you guys are talking about would be great way to go.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the iPod touch is what I have.
confused_face_2.gif
I'm not going to buy another source to use with the the P-51 when I already have a source that I'm basically happy with. The issue is the extent to which the P-51 improves the touch - SQ wise. Oh heck, I give up. I think I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't satisfy me I can always sell it.
regular_smile .gif

Still awaiting arrival of a P-51 to connect with my Touch 2G and W3s. Can exchange impressions once I have the whole rig! In the meantime the Touch sounds decent with W3s provided it's not pushed too hard. I already have the ALO Cryo SXC 18G awaiting its destiny.

SierraHotel has a similar combo but with the new Nano...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back