Oy Vhey! Thy amp is woken!
Oct 31, 2005 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
Mikhail sent me over a Hytron 6SN7 for my SLAM. I had issues with high-frequency response within the first week of owning the amp. He said the Hytron would cure this.

Now, ive noticed a WORLD of difference with the PPX3 as i have followed along down its path of break-in. This is one amp, or creature for that matter, that needs to be tammed. Its sound new is, sorry to say, but rather horrible. Ive heard from others that many of the best singlepower deals are obtained for this reason.

As time went on i, the PPx3 breaking in and all, like i said night and day diff. I received the Hytron tube last week. Let it burn in for 40 hours, the sound seemed different. Off if you will. But none-the-less very enjoyable as always. I decided for the hell of it, today, to pop ye'old KenRad back in the socket, see how she handels before i send it back to Mikhail..... Well, it aint going back. The KenRad sounds AMAZING with the HP-2. the highs go up up and away, the extension in both ends of the spectrum is mouth-watering. For those who havnt figured out this is a hype thread, brace yourselves...

* "THIS IS A HYPE THREAD FOR MY PPX3 SLAM w/ KENRAD 6SN7!" *

Its like opening a window here, a fresh new sound. Gotta love tubes. As soon as i adapt to its signature, il pop my new Tungsol Bottom Getter 6sn7 in, which comes this week and ive heard from THE pro (SACD lover, the one and only of course!) its one of the finest 6sn7's out there. This is true glory in all its power, i have surely found some sort of synergy here.... Its beautiful.

Till next hype'age,

Rhydon

Oct 31, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 16
oddly and fortunately enough for me I prefer the black glass KenRad over the TungSol round plate.

currently in my PPX6SN7 I am running a black glass KenRad with a pair of Sylvania VT-231s and am loving it! Hytrons as quite nice as well!

So yes, I agree, the KenRads are quite beautiful tubes
icon10.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 16
Eeeeeek. Grandenigma, i just paid 25$ for that Tung Sol..... i hope it proves worthy!

Definatly not liking the Hytron tho. I have Tung Sol D getters in my output stage, find them to be the most dynamic 5687 ive heard. The Kenrad black glass seems to mate nicely with them, you ever tried the round plate with a SLAM w/ matching brand output tubes?

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Eeeeeek. Grandenigma, i just paid 25$ for that Tung Sol..... i hope it proves worthy!

Definatly not liking the Hytron tho. I have Tung Sol D getters in my output stage, find them to be the most dynamic 5687 ive heard. The Kenrad black glass seems to mate nicely with them, you ever tried the round plate with a SLAM w/ matching brand output tubes?

You got a TS 6sn7 Round Plate for $25
eek.gif
...those usually go for about $100 now days. It is more then worthy... it is a close second to the KenRad in my eyes.

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 16
it is truly amazing how a tube can change an amp so much, but it can! i'm become a tube addict! congrats on your new tube!

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
eek.gif
...those usually go for about $100 now days. It is more then worthy... it is a close second to the KenRad in my eyes.

Woah. Better keep that one then. lol.

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
eek.gif

I suspect that at $25, he's talking about the short-bottle Tung Sol 6SN7GT that looks like a Sylvania tube. Clear glass with box plates.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Its the "Tung Sol grey plate clear glass bottom-getter tallboy type TungSol, like the MouseEars type but without the mouse ears".- straight from Earl.

I have one of these.... as a 12 volt version.... running in one of my mpx3's right now. I especially like this tube if I want a little brighter sound. This Tung Sol tube is clean, clear and dynamic. I have a 12 volt black glass round plate Tung Sol as the gain tube in a second mpx3. I seem to switch between these two and a Ken Rad for gain or use a Sylvania tall bottle 14n7. The National Union black glass 12sn7gt gets some play time now and then too.

The description above is mine. The real tall bottle Tung Sol is the later gta/b type that have a chrome ring at the top. That gta/b type Tung Sol is the tallest 6sn7 tube I have come across.... noticeably TALLER!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
First tube roller experience. Just tried the EHg set in the EMP AE as Nik recommended and WOW. What a difference over the stock tubes. I am a believer. Outstanding. All of a sudden the amp comes alive and kicks aspens.
biggrin.gif

You go Ken.
icon10.gif

Here is a link to tubes your amp uses:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq...bes.html#12ax7

Be aware..... there are several parts to this article and the 6dj8/6922's sections are near the end.
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 16
Hey Earl,

What type of sonic differences do you find with the KenRad blackglass compared to the Tung Sol i puchased...?

I know i could wait a few more days and hear for myself, but what were your initial findings?

Rhydon

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Hey Earl,

What type of sonic differences do you find with the KenRad blackglass compared to the Tung Sol i puchased...?

I know i could wait a few more days and hear for myself, but what were your initial findings?

Rhydon

The ken rad is definitely bassier, warmer through the mids and has a slightly more recessed presentation. The tung sol is a slightly faster and more forward tube. But the characteristic that stands out most to me is that the tung sol is cleaner and clearer.

Some might say the tube sounds more neutral or solid state like. I find from the mids up.... the tube reminds me of the presentation of my favorite RCA clear top 6cg7 combined with the open and spacious sound of a good 6sn7.
smily_headphones1.gif

You know....we need a smiling tube emoticon!
cool.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The tung sol is a slightly faster and more forward tube. But the characteristic that stands out most to me is that the tung sol is cleaner and clearer.

Awesome, Earl thats exactly what i wanted to hear!
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back