owners, please compare im716 to any of these dynamic earphones
Apr 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 19
You could always pick up the Denon 551 from Amazon for $68. I own them now, and I don't find them all that much different than the C700s (though C700 owners probably disagree). If you are looking for a phone to complement the 716s, then it would have to be Denons or Atrio. I don't think you have to EQ bass on the RE2s much, that was just a person listening preference.

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #17 of 19
Just to add what I wrote last time, when I am not listening closely, the mid and high on C700 doesn't sound as clear/detail as the podless iM716. But when I pay attention to the music, the clarity/detail is actually there and comparable to the iM716. I think the stronger bass presence in the C700 is what makes my ears hears this. Note that I compared both phones only from Sony A818, laptop output, and Zen microphoto. I don't have amp.

I think you pretty much summarized it nicely.

And I agree with what tstarn06 said.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always pick up the Denon 551 from Amazon for $68. I own them now, and I don't find them all that much different than the C700s (though C700 owners probably disagree). If you are looking for a phone to complement the 716s, then it would have to be Denons or Atrio. I don't think you have to EQ bass on the RE2s much, that was just a person listening preference.

The reason I stick with the c700 over the c551 in my listing is actually something you said: the harsh highs. I find my ear insists on very airy and forward treble or a headphone sounds dull to me. And since the c700 are available for under $100 now, it's not such a huge price difference. Otherwise, generally taking on board everything you're saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add what I wrote last time, when I am not listening closely, the mid and high on C700 doesn't sound as clear/detail as the podless iM716. But when I pay attention to the music, the clarity/detail is actually there and comparable to the iM716. I think the stronger bass presence in the C700 is what makes my ears hears this. Note that I compared both phones only from Sony A818, laptop output, and Zen microphoto. I don't have amp.

Seems conclusive that the Denons should be the first option I break down and try. Have to put it off for a bit, though, as I've just added two new electrostats to my home system and my headphone fund is thus sadly depleted this month. But I think the topic is of wider general interest too, as there are others in the same situation now with the proliferation of the im716 after the last few fire sales.

May 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 19
UPDATE:

I spotted a deal on the c700 for $75, and I jumped on it. I've been listening to them now on only a few hours burn-in, and have some initial observations. First, to make these sound as like the im716 as they can, I have to do an EQ on both phones, boosting bass and cutting treble on the Altec, while doing the reverse with the Denon. It's a completely reversed signature. Second, I don't think the Denon really loses anything to the Altec-- much of the perceived detail of the Altec is really boosted treble. So far, it may just be the honeymoon stage, but I'm liking the Denon more than the Altec: it's just got a more coherent presentation and sounds good with a wider range of music.

Looking back on the comments above, I wonder about a couple of things:

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im716 - largest soundstage of any IEM I have tried and great detail with plenty of sparkle

To my ear the c700 have a much broader if slightly less precisely-imaged soundstage than the im716. Were you using stock tips on the Altec?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add what I wrote last time, when I am not listening closely, the mid and high on C700 doesn't sound as clear/detail as the podless iM716. But when I pay attention to the music, the clarity/detail is actually there and comparable to the iM716. I think the stronger bass presence in the C700 is what makes my ears hears this.

I think you really hit the nail on the head here, bostitch, or at least I think we're hearing the same things.

I was nervous about the Denon, because just after I'd ordered it, I heard my im716 up against an ER4p, and realized how much better the original Ety sounds, and I thought maybe I ought to have saved my money, sold the Altec, and just got the Ety instead. Though I'm still pretty sure the ER4 is superior to the c700, I don't regret the purchase at all as of now-- the Denon is better suited to my low-volume portable listening habits in every way but isolation. Suddenly my Altecs are going to get a rest, I think.

Other notes: the c700 is huge, I feel like I've got Frankenstein plugs sticking out of the sides of my head. Like other canalphones, it is easier to insert and remove than is the im716, though only comparably comfortable once inserted. The Denon is more sensitive than the Altec, but not really much easier to drive well, as it can be a little sloppy if underpowered. Luckily this isn't an issue for me, I mostly use a relatively powerful Cowon F2 and also have a Go-Vibe V6. Microphonics are lower on the c700, but still present. Oddly, covering the holes on the back of the Denon with my fingers barely changes the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back