owners of both DT880 & HD595 wanted...
May 4, 2005 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
...if there are any. Having heard both will do, as well.
tongue.gif

The question: which do you prefer, especially with folk, blues, country, rock (excluding classical music) ?

I'm just curious -- please vote only if you think that the one sounds better than the other, speaking of the actual enjoyment of music not abstract "fidelity".

May 4, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 15
Congrats on 1000 posts, Andrea. I enjoyed both cans equally, they each have their own charms. While 880 is technically superior, I'll vote for the underdog cuz I like the forward mids and they are more comfortable. 880 is very comfy but over long listening periods, the headband starts hurting top of my head (2hrs+).

May 4, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 15
From memory...

...I think I liked the DT 880 (a little bit) better. Better -- more extended -- bass and smoother, more brilliant treble.

peacesign.gif

May 4, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 15
I presume "modern" music would be more inclined to pop/rock.

Although i love my DT880s, i would choose the HD595s over the 880s for this genre of music. The 595 has better bass slam and the forward mids help when listening to such genres of music, the 880s being more relaxed and neutral. However, i find the 880s to have a more refined bass and polite highs.

May 4, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 15
Currently own both and I find the DT 880 to be more enjoyable. The soundstaging sounds a lot more natural to me. I find when I listen to the 595, I am listening more critically to the music. While this works for some people, I prefer getting lost in the music. The 595 is no slouch, but I get the best of both worlds out of the DT 880.

May 4, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 15
HD595 for their more airy (liquid, flowing, open, whatever you want to call it) sound. In comparision the DT880 cames off as slow and stuffy sounding (not a suprise since it is essentially a closed headphone--the holes on the back of their enclosures are pretty small and don't let much air get through). I did fall in love with the neutral tonal character of the DT880s but, at the end of the day, the HD595s could really get me into the music in a way the Beyers could not. Also the forward highs of the DT880s were a little distracting to me--HD595s are more balanced across the frequency range. Sorry, I'm using "fidelity" terms but these factors do affect my enjoyment of the music.

May 4, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks all! Rather enlighting... I've had this bug of buying another (loved) HD595 sooner or later this year, still can't shake it off... well, unless the Philips HP1000 should prove a real breakthrough...
redface.gif

spike, a special thanks for your congrats
biggrin.gif
- go figure, I hadn't even realized the coincidence between my first experiment with a "poll" and the 1000 post barrier broken.
blink.gif

Any further feedback is welcome...

May 4, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
880 is very comfy but over long listening periods, the headband starts hurting top of my head (2hrs+).

Exactly the sort of 'problem' I've had with my hd650, thus one primary reason to have pushed me towards the dt880. Now it's practically solved by finding a better positioning on the head (and the 'adaption' of the headband?) - anyway, that was nice to know.
tongue.gif

May 4, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 15
Hm...weird, i've never had anysort of problem with headbands, regardless of it being the 880, 325i, 125 or 595s....maybe being shaven helps ?
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Damn you make this hard Andrea.

So you don't have any possibilities to listen them both at the same time?

I voted 595 and I've told you my expressions a couple of times already.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Damn you make this hard Andrea.

So you don't have any possibilities to listen them both at the same time?

I voted 595 and I've told you my expressions a couple of times already.
smily_headphones1.gif

No kind of listening possible, in fact I'd have to go and ask the Beyer importer directly.
plainface.gif
Btw I liked the 'experiment', and the results (tie for now) are also almost unexpected and interesting.

May 4, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 15
The DT880 headband is not the problem; it's the softest and most comfortable headband on the headphones I've tried (minus the SA series). The weight of the headphone, however, presses the headband down firmly, which can get fatiguing after a while.

I also disagree that the 880 is less airy than the 5X5 series. The entire reason why I didn't like the 5X5 series was precisely because it was too stuffy, and the soundstage wasn't big enough for my tastes. It is, however, a great series, and I might actually be repurchasing into that series soon. :p

May 4, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 15
The DT880 is a better headphone all-around. Better build quality (MUCH better than the HD595).

The DT880 is a jack of all trades, master of none, sort of thing. The HD595s sound terrible with everything.

Yeah, I'm a bit biased against the HD595s. They're just so boring and have a very grainy midrange. It's like you're getting the worst of both Grado headphones AND Sennheiser headphones.

Sure, you won't get the best performance out of the heaviest of rock music, but overall it's just a much more dynamic headphone than the HD595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back