Owner Of M50, Looking to step it up.
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tharkimaa

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I bought the M50's after alot of debate, to choose bw the HD558's and the AT's. I bought the AT's, and boy dont i love them. They were my first real audiophile (if you can say that) purchase. I was blown away by the build quality, the bass, the mids, and the detailing.
Its been 2 years now, And the padding has started to crack. I am drying my socks for the sock mod as I write this. Will try it in the next hour.
I was thinking, why not buy another pair, as a primary, and use these as secondary? So i decided to start research today, and it begins with you head-fiers.

Now, The requirements are
1. Durability- I watch movies lying down, mostly on one side, The headband needs to be strong.
2. Bass- Not Too much, but the M50's have an ample healthy amount of it, Something resembling it would do.
3. Driveability- Dont look down on me, I dont use any amplifying equipment with my head phones. I am a college student, and these things are too expensive, unnecessary for me. If i really have to, an amp upto 50$ might be possible, and that too most probably a fiio, as those are easily available here. An amp readily available in shopping stores in the USA might do too as i will have a friend visiting in a few months.
4. Cost- I am looking for something in the range of 150-200$. If these are not available to me in my country, ill tell the friend to get them from the states, that means, store price also has to be in this range.

Okay, Now that we have those out, I'd like to put up a question. What about the FA-003's? When i was about to buy the M50's, a user suggested me these, and by the looks of it, they are better than the M50's.
Do they meet my requirements? More so, are they a significant step up than the AT's?

Your Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 3
I Did the sock mod, It works to an extent it seems. Some of the punch is gone, the mids and the highs are now comfortable and relaxed now though.
Anyways, why isnt anyone responding?
Bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back