owner of HD650, seeking for a less bassy can...(HD600 ?)
Feb 21, 2006 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Blasyrkh

100+ Head-Fier
hello, i own the hd650 and i love it's sound, but it's a little too much bassy.

i was wondering if the hd600 would fix this issue...i read it is brighter, with faster and less emphasized bass compared to hd650.

does anyone have both the models (or at least have had both and remember very well their sound) to tell me what i will lose and gain in tha 650 to 600 passage?

i've heard the hd600 but don't remember them quite well
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 6
That is exactly how I felt about the hd650 vs. hd600 - the 600 has less bass, but still enough for most people (and even too much for some). Other differences: The hd650 is smoother, more grain free. Treble on the 600 was a bit too harsh and etched for me. Treble on the 650 is slightly recessed in comparison. The 650's bass is a bit tighter and more controlled. The 600's have a little midrange dip, and female vocals are slightly recessed. I also felt the hd650 had greater resolution and responded better to aftermarket cables. Changing cables on the 600 always yielded more of an "eh" reaction (except for the Zu, which was way too bright and harsh). Changing the 650 cable always yielded significant differences in tonality and even dynamics (Zu vs. Cardas is a BIG difference). That's just me though.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Adding a few crude comments to mulveling's nice comparison:

I would not call the HD600's highs anything like harsh. The HD650's are more rolled off and the HD600's highs are are certainly a bit brighter, but still very much on the dark side. Bass-wise, it's not much different: the HD650's is IMO just overblown while the HD600's bass is ... well, strong enough (and the HD600's mid-bass hump gives its bass a similar presence to that of the HD650).

If you like the sonic signature of the HD650 but prefer a little less bass, then the HD600 is pretty much your only option.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks for the answers.

Quote:

and the HD600's mid-bass hump gives its bass a similar presence to that of the HD650

this is what i want to get rid of....then the midbass hump is still present?
for me this is the problem of the hd650, it makes the sound of the midbass frequencies too heavy, and it often makes a kneaded (is this the right term?) sound in the lower regions when bass is much present on the recording

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
thanks for the answers.

this is what i want to get rid of....then the midbass hump is still present?
for me this is the problem of the hd650, it makes the sound of the midbass frequencies too heavy, and it often makes a kneaded (is this the right term?) sound in the lower regions when bass is much present on the recording

You sound like a candidate for the AKG 701. The senn 600/ cardas and 701 are my two favorite headphones. If you dont like so much bass the 600 is an improvement over the 650. But there is still a little bass emphasis even with the 600. The 701 removes the bass emphasis entirely .... atleast IMO. Plus the 701 adds in more treble extension and airiness .... and this comes without any penalties like glare, grain or etch. The 701 is a superbly balanced and transparent headphone. That said, there is something special about the 600's rich, robust midrange and weighty, powerful bass. I have not settled on a favorite ...... but the more I hear the 701 the more I like this headphone.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
You sound like a candidate for the AKG 701. The senn 600/ cardas and 701 are my two favorite headphones. If you dont like so much bass the 600 is an improvement over the 650. But there is still a little bass emphasis even with the 600. The 701 removes the bass emphasis entirely .... atleast IMO. Plus the 701 adds in more treble extension and airiness .... and this comes without any penalties like glare, grain or etch. The 701 is a superbly balanced and transparent headphone. That said, there is something special about the 600's rich, robust midrange and weighty, powerful bass. I have not settled on a favorite ...... but the more I hear the 701 the more I like this headphone.

thanks, but for now k701 are too expensive for me, here 600 cost ~200$, while 701 are more than 400$
frown.gif

which is for you the difference between 600 with stock cable and with cardas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back