Owned the RS-1 now looking for something less warm
May 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Inzane

100+ Head-Fier
After sometime with the Grado RS-1 I find myself looking for more detail and less warmth, its just too laid back and its perfect for some music but im the type that like punch and not the very laid back sound of the RS-1 if you know what I mean. I have heard mostly all the grados except for the RS-2. I have owned the RS-1 for awhile simply because the sound was just excellent compared to the SR225, sr325i, sr60 etc.. but like I said im in need of punch and less coloration and roundness I hear from the RS-1. So far im looking for something that combines the articualtion and smoothness of the RS-1 with the punch of the 325i.

Will the RS-2 be the perfect phone ive been long-searching for?

May 8, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 7
being the owner of both cans, I'd say get a dac and amp that will bring out the punch and put the midrange farther back in comparison. getting the RS-2 will have less of a difference if you end up using the same source/amp

what do I mean by this? for instance, I just modded my microDAC so I can change opamps and using the AD797 will fit your bill whereas AD843 will not.
also an amp like Headamp Gilmore Lite with a tight bass will help.

or the ibasso d1. you can ask me later for opamp combos.

But I suspect the issue is different. What do you mean the RS-1 is laid back? what source/amp are you using?

May 8, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 7
The Sony MDR-SA5000 may be a good fit for you. More detail, more punch and not as warm as the RS-1.

I'd also recommend picking up a good amp if you don't have one.

May 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 7
are you crazy?

strap some tweeters to your ears!
tongue.gif

the rs1 is one of the most aggressive headphones out there. If you think it is laid back, you either have a problem with amp/source as stated above, or maybe your hearing is going? i don't mean to be rude, but seriously man...

or try some of the audio technica woodies. or a WA5000 by sony, or a CD3000 if you can find one..

May 8, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 7
RS-1, warm and laid-back?!
biggrin.gif

I guess this hobby is EXTREMELY subjective..
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard anything more agressive than Grados (owned SR-60, RS-1 and SR-325 not the SR-325i), if any the sony SA-5000 might be the phone you're looking for, from what i read (one of the few highend phones i haven't heard yet.

May 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 7
They are indeed warm/laid back when compared to the sr-80's/225's

I actually prefer the sr80's to the rs1's because they are more aggressive and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back