Overwhelmed By Beatles Albums
Feb 11, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you only own one, go for the stereo masters, mainly because the mono mixes have not been mastered and they fall flat when listening to them against the stereo mixes.

What does this mean? Are you suggesting they didn't remaster the mono versions? Or do you mean not "mastered" as in, they didn't get them right compared to the stereo remasters?

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #32 of 36
I was really happy with the full Purple Chick set .. it's the same as Dr. Ebbet's for the actual album tracks, plus all kinds of extras from sessions, the anthology release, etc. But the remasters do surpass it. I listen to the mono remasters for all albums until Abbey Road, but the stereo versions of Sgt Pepper's and The White Album are a lot of fun even if they weren't mastered as well as the mono versions.

And Let It Be Naked is a must-have. It makes that album worth hearing again.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does this mean? Are you suggesting they didn't remaster the mono versions? Or do you mean not "mastered" as in, they didn't get them right compared to the stereo remasters?

The mono's were remastered. They just weren't limited.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #34 of 36
I agree with the Abbey Road suggestion. Absolutely spectacular album and the new remastered CD is brilliant IMO. I love the heavy vibe on this album.
I bought the mono boxset and am completely satisfied with it. My reason for getting the mono is because all the Beatles albums except for Abbey Road , Let It Be and Yellow Submarine were originally recorded and mixed in mono. All the discs are excellent. I really enjoy "With the Beatles"....not many peeps favorite album but the album has a very raw sound, a very rock sound. The interplay of the bass guitar and kick drum must have been a phenomenon at the time...awesome!

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #35 of 36
i believe the original question was where to start, right?
and i've seen a lot of responses saying "buy everything".
to me that just doesn't make good sense.
let me share a thought. i was turned onto the Beatles in 1994 with one album. It might not be their best album, but it is the ultimate entry point for the Beatles.
And that album is Rubber Soul.
It is, more or less, their "middle" record. It contains elements of their early pop songcraft (Drive My Car), as well as touchstones of their later experimental work (Norwegian Wood). It is nearly as good as Revolver, which followed it, but maybe not as edgy or as difficult to get into.
Now, you buy one record, and listen. Your total investment? 14 dollars.
And, if you like the pop songs, work your way backward in their catalog. If you like the experimental numbers, work your way forward.
It worked for me.
k701smile.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to get into Thea Beatles but there are so many albums / remasters. (Ex. Remasters, Mono, Stereo and remasters by different people)

What should I look for? I'm so overwhelmed and confused!

So what did you go with for your introductory selection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back