Overrated songs?
Oct 31, 2004 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever hear that song that everyone loves (that is, something non-top-50, like actual music) and just don't get what's so great about it? Our marching band show this year is The Beatles and we're doing the following songs:

Eleanor Rigby
Revolution
Sgt. Pepper's Loney Heart's Club Band
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds

Granted, these songs sound amazing in marching band, but when I just listen to the studio recordings, I am bored to death. Eleanor Rigby is a solid song, glad we're doing it. Revolution is just kind of repetitive and boring. It lacks impact of any kind. Sgt. Pepper's Loney Heart's Club Band is similar to Revolution, just kind of lacks impact, despite the fact that I consider the actual song to be quite good. Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds is just plain weird other than the chorus, which I think is pretty good.

Anyway, I find a lot of The Beatles' songs to be overrated, especially when I compare them to the synergy and impact of bands like The Who. How about you guys?

Oct 31, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 33
Almost everything by Queen, particularly "Bohemian Rhapsody." [...come to think of it, IMHO almost everything by Nirvana and Pearl Jam is overrated as well]
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 33
I've never been so insulted in my life. My favorite bands.. Nirvana, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin????

Nirvana had some overrated songs, I didn't like those (assuming you mean Teen Spirit, Heart Shaped Box, Lithium), Perl Jam did especially. However, Aerosmith?? Dream On and Back in the Saddle were unique, electrofying classics!
mad.gif

I find the new rap music overrated. I can't see what's so good about it, people mumbling curse words really fast with half-naked ladies dancing around in their videos... The only time I ever found rap music the least bit good was when Tupac was still alive. He was a very poetic man...

I will say, however, that Stairway to Heaven was overated. WHile it was a great song, some people call it the best power ballad ever written. I think that's incorrect
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way: You are being bored by the Beatles because you didn't hear them in studio first. When one hundred instruments are playing the same thing, it is much more powerful to experience in real life than on a studio recording, no matter how good your sources/amps/headphones are. That's a fact of life..

I am VERY sorry to hear that you didn't experience the best band of the seventies BEFORE your school's marching band!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I am VERY sorry to hear that you didn't experience the best band of the seventies BEFORE your school's marching band!
rolleyes.gif

Error. I have been listening to The Beatles now for years, and I had known those songs before they decided to become my marching band show. My previous statements remain unchanged. Best band of the 70's? Purely subjunctive; that's your opinion.

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Best band of the 70's? Purely subjunctive; that's your opinion.

Actually, the Beatles broke up in 1970..

With the Beatles it was an innovation thing. They broke so much new ground and pushed the envelope like it had never been pushed before. That and the sheer size of the body of their work. Great song after great song, ground-breaking album after ground-breaking album.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 33
I'd agree that Nirvana and Aerosmith have many overrated songs (early Aerosmith still kicks ass), as well as Stairway to Heaven. I'd also like to add Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine and Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. I have nothing against ballads, but I absolutely hate those songs. Sweet Child O' Mine seems to hit a good sound right at the end, while Nothing Else Matters is just a suckfest from beginning to end.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 33
A big part of this is also that these half-decent to mediocre songs tend to get waaaaay overplayed, and then you just start hating the song, like Stairway to Heaven.

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 33
i'd like to contribute one of my current least-favorite and over-rated songs.."walk idiot walk" by the hives...it's terrible because i actually really liked the song until i moved into my dorm and the guy next door plays it at least 3 times a day, WITHOUT EQUIVOCATION...the walls sort of block the sound, so then all i hear is the bum-bum-bum bass drum monotony for 3:31, even worse...there, that's mine...oh and aman, my favorite zep song is when the levee breaks, what do you think?

Nov 1, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 33
The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

I'm a big Stones fan, but man that song SUCKS! I'll never know why it's so popular, it was even voted the #1 greatest rock and roll song of all time!
confused.gif
Definitely THE most overrated song of all time.

Nov 1, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 33
I just wanted to add some "dishonorable mentions".

John Lennon - Imagine
The Eagles - Hotel California
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
Eric Clapton - Layla
The Beatles - Hey Jude

The last two with those incredibly l-o-o-o-n-g fade-outs are beyond boring.

BTW, I vehemently agree with DLeeWebb about Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". It's one of the worst, and most annoying songs I've ever heard.

All of the above are worthy of the "Most Overrated Songs Hall Of
Fame".
eek.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back